Is it possible - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2020, 11:23 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 5.0 2021
Is it possible

Is it possible to tow the 5.0 with a GMC Canyon 5’2” bed with a slider hitch?
Is anyone doing it?!
The gmc can tow 7k lbs.
The distance from center axel to cab is 23.5”
The slider would add another 12” for turns which by escape standards puts me at a 66 degree max turning angle
Is that doable? Or should I stick to a 21ne ?

Hitch - something like this. https://www.pullrite.com/isr_SG_HIW
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think your questions would be better suited if asked to the factory vs here on the forum.....
Old 10-04-2020, 03:58 PM   #3

I’m hoping someone has done it. Like from this forum https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...on-354377.html
Old 10-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think your questions would be better suited if asked to the factory vs here on the forum.....
I think it's entirely pointless to ask General Motors if the Canyon can tow a specific fifth-wheel trailer. Their answer is likely just that fifth-wheel towing is not recommended for this model... because they don't want people to try towing 8-foot-wide 8-ton trailers with this mid-size truck. I've never heard of a tow vehicle manufacturer providing advice regarding a specific trailer configuration.

Questions about specific truck configurations to tow specific Escape trailers are routine in this forum, and have been very helpful to many members.

I think the consensus will likely be that the roughly 5.5' box length pickups are fine for the 5.0TA, with no slider required (by setting the pin behind the axle), but the Colorado/Canyon short box is just a bit too short to work well, and the pin setback required to make it work is probably excessive for this size of truck.

As far as I have seen, no one has ended up using a slider with an Escape... either manual or one of these automatic designs.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegh13 View Post
Is it possible to tow the 5.0 with a GMC Canyon 5’2” bed with a slider hitch?
Is anyone doing it?!
The gmc can tow 7k lbs.
The distance from center axel to cab is 23.5”
The slider would add another 12” for turns which by escape standards puts me at a 66 degree max turning angle
Is that doable? Or should I stick to a 21ne ?

I don't see why that wouldn't work. As other's have said people have towed with beds only a few inches longer. That hitch appears to add way more than that.

It also would probably be safer than people towing with the pin set behind the axle, as that hitch appears as it would allow you to properly position the pin over the axle when towing straight.

Here is the link to the specific measurements required for the 5.0, you can do your own calculations with it.

Escape 5.0 Towing Compatibility Guidelines
TTMartin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I think Jim meant the Escape trailer factory, not GM.

Escape has a great 5.0 tow guide that answers a lot of these questions:
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/54742...7-908a7792d9a4

If that doesn't do it, just call them.
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:26 PM   #7

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post

Escape has a great 5.0 tow guide that answers a lot of these questions:
https://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/54742...7-908a7792d9a4

If that doesn't do it, just call them.
Yes, exactly. General Motors has nothing to do with the question at hand Brian and we all know truck dealers will tell you anything to make a sale. Thanks for pointing that out, TahoeJoe
Old 10-04-2020, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Is it possible to tow the 5.0 with a GMC Canyon 5’2” bed with a slider hitch?....
There might be a hint in the fact that, at least for the hitch you link, PullRite does not list a purpose-built (no-drill) installation kit for any of their hitches on any Canyon/Colorado.

Link: PullRite - WHAT FITS MY TRUCK?

So, you might start by contacting them about hitch suitability / fitment for your vehicle in general. Take caution if that discussion leads down the path of universal mounting that requires drilling the vehicle frame.

(aside - wow! that hitch weighs 277# not including mounting hardware!)
Old 10-04-2020, 05:50 PM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Our friends pulled their 2018 5.0 with a 2018 Canyon with 5' 2" box with the Andersen rail mounted hitch.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-04-2020, 08:26 PM   #10

Perryb67 Is there any way you can send them my way for questions? I need to sign a build sheet (10/15) for either the 5.0 or the 21 ne if I cant get the Info if it will work for sure.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Perryb67 Is there any way you can send them my way for questions? I need to sign a build sheet (10/15) for either the 5.0 or the 21 ne if I cant get the Info if it will work for sure.
There will be others (me, for example) who will be very interested in the Canyon 5’2” box + Escape 5.0 hitch config.

Hopefully someone will post the “solution” in this thread, or forum.

Thanks!!!
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 08:37 PM   #12

I have a call in tomorrow because I need a final answer in order to sign a build sheet
Old 10-05-2020, 02:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Okay, but Escape Trailer Industries knows less about what a Canyon can tow than GM. They have general guidelines, and can specify the hitch to cab clearance required by the trailer, but for everything else about the truck's capabilities they know less than a reasonably well-informed Canyon owner. I don't think it's reasonable to expect a trailer manufacturer to be knowledgeable about specific tow vehicles, although they could share experiences that they happen to be aware of.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:01 AM   #14

Brian,
A custom trailer manufacturer should know which truck can handle their product, at least more so than the truck manufacturer knowing what trailer their product can handle! That is the point being made.....
Old 10-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Brian,
A custom trailer manufacturer should know which truck can handle their product, at least more so than the truck manufacturer knowing what trailer their product can handle! That is the point being made.....
I agree. And it's entirely possible that ETI has sold a 5.0TA to an owner of a GMC Canyon with a 5’2” bed and that we wouldn't know about it. Not all owners join the EscapeForum or Facebook group.

You don't know, what you don't know.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #16

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
They sold their setup last winter and are now traveling in a 28' Tiffin. The next time we'll see them is next March in Mesa. I'll try to contact them and see if they're willing to talk.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-05-2020, 08:18 AM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’m not sure about that Jim. When I bought the second Highlander and walked through the dealership, there was a 18” by 24” poster showing a Highlander towing a triple axle trailer with a very large boat into a launching facility. The caption read something like “ Highlander for Big Jobs” or something like that. I looked at the poster and knowing a little about boats and trailers, I thought that boat and trailer would be too much for a Highlander but made a nice picture.

Later that day as I was dealing on the Highlander, I was specifying a seven pin hookup with a brake controller. My salesman was clueless on whether or not it could be done. He said “I’m not sure the Highlander is meant to pull anything with electric brakes”. I educated him and told him to look at the walls the next time he went for a walk in his dealership. My takeaway, the buyer, as in this post, needs to do his or her own due diligence, study the specifications of both the tow and the trailer and equally or more important, get real world experience and opinions from owners of the same towing combination wherever he can. As Packard said many moons ago “Ask the man who drives one.”
My opinion
Iowa Dave
Old 10-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #18
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hi Teegh13,
Another idea would be to call several GMC mechanics today (not the service people at the desk, but the actual mechanic guys) and ask them your post #1 questions. I have found most mechanics are quite willing to share their opinions on common problems or limitations or give a on vehicles they service. Then ask if THEY would personally tow a 5000# or 5500# trailer with a GMC Canyon.

Personally, if it were me, I would ask myself which trailer trailer (5.0 or 21NE) I liked the most and get that one. Then if my truck wasn't up to snuff, I would find it easier to change my truck out for a beefier one later. Best of luck with your decision. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 12:23 PM   #19

I called trademaster in BC and was told they have done it to multiple canyons with short beds. Gave me parts list to get it done.
Old 10-05-2020, 12:31 PM   #20

That is my hope. That I can get the 5.0. Make it work with my current truck and then get a different truck in a few years with a longer bed. I would rather have the 5.0. Hands down. But will totally get the 21 if people who have tried this tell me it sucks.

Tags
gmc canyon, towing 5.0