Silverado EV towing a 21 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2022, 10:28 AM   #61

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingDan View Post
True but I’d avoid the Leaf with that stupid air (un)cooled battery. The Japanese hate BEVs, we’ve been a solid Japanese car family forever but no more, America has the lead on this one.
I would agree if you live somewhere that experiences temperature extremes somewhat regularly. (Think below freezing or above 100). I suppose that covers many places.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:58 PM   #62

Trailer: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheal K View Post
+1. I’d also avoid the Leaf because of dwindling support for the CHAdeMO fast charging system.
I hate seeing those connectors everywhere, for basically one obsolete car (but an important early one at that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I would agree if you live somewhere that experiences temperature extremes somewhat regularly. (Think below freezing or above 100). I suppose that covers many places.
Drive freeway and heat the battery, stop at a fast charger, lose your cooling system and plug in and heat the battery, pretty much the worst recipe anywhere you are I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
I’d like to see the car companies’ research on that. I for one would much prefer more aerodynamic shape. My new Chevy Silverado has a higher front hood than ever. They could have helped mileage and visibility with a sleeker design. And the GMC version is even blunter on the nose.
I’m not sure the front is the problem with trucks, more the back and any stuff you have hanging off, along with the undercarriage. I think a truck can do pretty well actually, here’s what I see on the Silverado EV
  • Everybody says “Avalanche” on seeing tit without a mention that those wings are to keep the airstream from resonating as it does with the normal sudden drop off.
  • It looks like there are airscoops to give a stream shield across the front wheel well
  • Undercarriage is flat, sealed with golf ball dimples
  • Back underbelly slopes up with channel scoops to join the two streams back smoothly
  • Tailgate isn’t vertically flat but shaped to aid that
  • Back roof fins on the cabin
  • Smooth bullet-ish nose to part the stream
  • Nicely sloped windshield
  • Usual EV stuff, tires, grill etc

The one missing thing is a true whale tail, but all you need is a bed cab with a gentle back slope like other EVs. And just like with yachts, the longer the body/water lines the better the aero/hydro which a truck excels at. Anyhow the chief engineer says they believe they have best in class aero, and we can see it in the design so I’m very curious too see the actual number.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 01:17 PM   #63

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsized View Post
I suppose it would depend on the trailer one is towing. I’m not sure how far Vegas is from Toronto but when we did our cross Canada tour we decided to just blast thru northern Ontario. We essentially knocked off about 600 kilometres per day pulling our trailer without too much difficulty although we were charging about 3 times per day. It really wasn’t that big a deal. Honestly I can’t imagine needing or using a Honda generator to charge our tesla.

I can’t say I have ever encountered a Tesla Supercharger or FLO DC fast charger offline.

Since that video of the cars waiting in hope for a supercharger there have been an additional 24 superchargers added in hope, for a total of 32 superchargers as well another half dozen public DC fast chargers. We use them often. We have never waited in line for a supercharger, and we travel a lot of miles every year, mostly towing our trailer. We are probably north of 14000 kilometres for the year and are still travelling.

I have no experience with the EV trucks so can’t speak to that.

Cheers.

That's impressive that you could get across northern Ontario with an EV in that time. We did an Edmonton to Ottawa trip twice in last few years and with our setup we can go around 700Km per tank give or take. We averaged around 500 Km per day so we would stop at least once per day for gas but you need to stop every now and then for a break anyway so if you can plan breaks around charging that would work out. The road North of Lake Superior is a bit isolated so I didn't think there would be many chargers around.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 04:33 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Looks like the infrastructure will be getting a boost:
https://www.npr.org/2022/09/27/11253...gers-on-highwa