Which truck/options to tow a 5.0? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
My first choice is the Tundra. They just released details of the next generation due out soon. The hybrid version has 400hp and 583ft lbs of torque. Those are diesel numbers almost. I have had 7 Toyotas and not one problem, just routine maintenance.

My second choice would be the Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi with 10 speed transmission. My friend who is a mechanic says they are the best bang for the buck and fairly reliable.
Hi Doug,

We had a couple of Camrys over the years & also love that Toyota reliability. However, I've got the Tundra a bit down the list since this will be the first year for a new model. Also, HP & torque seem to be less important for me than payload, since I happily drive like a granny & my plan is to full time for a while. The Ram Hemi is sharing top spot in my thinking right now, along with the F 150, but I'm still taking on info, so the list is fluid. Thanks much for weighing in. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Our 2019 F150 6.5' box, quad cab came with every option we wanted, or so we thought. However, after buying our Subaru Outback with adaptive cruise control we wish it had that option. However, on the Ford F150 Forum it appears a reasonably easy retro install if you have the 302A package.

Enjoy,

Perry
Hi Perry,

Cruise control is definitely on my list of desired options due to planned longer trips out west. "Adaptive cruise control" is a new term to me, so thanks for making me aware of that - will check it out. Manny thanks!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 10:22 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

Here it is in the 2005 F150 version (2WD XLT SuperCab, 6.5' box, extendable towing mirrors, Andersen hitch on Turnoverball, 5.0 with lift kit). That's a 145" wheelbase truck even through current models, the rig will jack knife to 90 degrees without cab contact, fits in the length of 2 standard parking spaces at the grocery store, and tows like a dream. I've had the truck since new and absolutely love it.

Though not 'required', I do very much like the great view provided by those Ford extendable towing mirrors (they can be set non-extended when not towing and fold against the side of cab in tight spaces).

FWIW I'm partial to the smallest wheel diameter / tallest tire sidewall available; on mine that's 17", and yes Ford still provides a full-size spare tire mounted under the bed (at least on non-hybrid models, not sure about hybrids). That high-profile tire preference based on:
  • I live on an unpaved road; comparison with neighbors' comparable trucks with lower-profile tires demonstrates the higher-profile rides a bit smoother in that situation
  • Perhaps a bit more robust if one can't avoid a deep/sharp cornered pothole
  • Usually lower replacement cost for a given brand / model of tire
Note that on Fords at least, larger wheels means less sidewall (a lower-profile tire), the total outside diameter remains the same (within fractions of an inch).

Happy Shopping!
Nice, I have the identical truck a year older. Are the mirrors stock and an add on ? My truck has been reliable .
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 11:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Are the mirrors stock and an add on ?
They weren't offered as an OE option until a later model year sharing our exact body style. I added them in 2008 using new parts from Ford guided by a forum thread explaining the mod. They look and function exactly as OE (power tilt, heat, side turn-signal, and courtesy lights). Nothing changed inside the cab, just swapped the exterior mirror assembly and added one jumper wire for the courtesy lights.

I've sent you an email with all of the details, Have Fun!
Old 10-06-2021, 07:22 AM   #24

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21NE, 2018 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel Laramie
I was planning to tow a 5.0 with my ‘loaded’ up 2018 Dodge Laramie 1500 4x4 crew cab 6.5’ box with Ram side storage plus tonneau cover. However, the scaled weight of 6120 lbs only leaves a payload of 830 lbs (from the 6950 GVW) for people, dogs, and limited gear. So even the least expected pin and hitch weight of 700 lbs of the 5.0 is not achievable, (Even the hitch weight of a 21C or NE is marginal for this truck configuration.)

I urge those looking for the ‘right’ tow vehicle to do their homework and not simply rely on the published data from the manufacturer. Use the govt. scales to get an accurate wt. before purchasing and review the options selected. From the published data,I had believed I had a payload of around 1200lbs which was still marginal for the 5.0. While the box liner, tonneau cover, and the Ram boxes are great, the weights of these are likely not included in the data. There is no payload weight noted on the sticker on the door pillar.

So now I have a very comfortable ‘ride’, with all the bells and whistles, 9.0 l/100 hwy fuel consumption, but I really can’t carry much more than two adults, two dogs, and some light gear. While the trend is now for loaded up pickups, the result is to render half tons rather useless payload wise unless one goes with a base level single cab unit. Going to a 3/4 ton is doable but pricey and fuel consumption suffers.
Pender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Welcome Fraser, to our little world........I have been towing with my Ram for awhile, great towing vehicle for those long cross country trips. The mini spare on mine is not suitable for towing so I had to purchase a full sized wheel for a spare. Check yours.....
Old 10-06-2021, 08:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Lorraine- You have received an excellent and wide range of responses. I cannot speak to all the brands as we have just had a Ford, that that too for about 1/2 a year. In your original message, I saw an emphasis of comfort. That was an important consideration for us as well.

We got a 2021 F150 Platinum. In Platinum (I believe a KR with high-end option package as well), the seats are excellent. Also, there is a message feature (don’t remember if it was an option or standard in our trim and 701A) but it is excellent for comfort on long drives. It definitely helps relieve the stress. So, I’d highly recommend you check that out.

The other feather that is excellent is lane centering. It helps keep the truck centered in lane, and that’s particularly helpful when towing. New to towing, it has been a life saver.

Other options - tow mirrors are excellent, and with hybrid - we have a 7.2kW generator that can be used to charge the batteries. So, one doesn’t have to worry about the charge. We have a 6.5’ bed. Although many have 5.5’ bed and are totally fine with it, we are happy about the longer bed and the turning angle it affords. As new to towing (all trailers but 5.0 in particular), we were (and, to a degree, still are) terrible at backing up. So, we have made the full use of the turning angle.

The cruise control options on 2021 F150 include intelligent as well as adaptive cruise control. Both are useful. It allows you to set the distance to the vehicle in the front and slows down / picks up based upon distance to the vehicle in the front. It recognizes the speed limit and can slow you down to the appropriate level.

These are some of the features that stand out to us.

I wish you the best with your search.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:52 AM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Cruise control is definitely on my list of desired options due to planned longer trips out west. "Adaptive cruise control" is a new term to me, so thanks for making me aware of that - will check it out. Manny thanks!
Cruise control we have. With adaptive cruise control your truck will stay a fixed distance from the car in front. It's great for driving on congested urban highways. It was a $1,100 option that I wish we would have included.

It will cost about $1,400 in parts and three days for a 72 y.o. guy to install. Trouble is I don't work that well on my back looking up with dirt falling on my face. Thinking of offering someone who has already installed acc $1,000 to install and I'll help.

We've spent our discretionary money for this year, but next year it's the only project so far.

Go to your auto dealer and try out a vehicle with adaptive cruise control.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not use cruise while towing, I feel it creates a disconnect with the trailer behind you......
Old 10-06-2021, 09:10 AM   #29

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I like adaptive in some situations, but I don't like it in others. I've had it in some M-B company cars and it can't be turned off (to regular cruise control). In such cases, I can't really recommend it.

If you can get an adaptive cruise control that can be switched to regular cruise control, it's a great feature. It's especially nice when it is a full speed range type of ACC, which you can use in a traffic jam. Very nice to set the cruise control to 75 mph when sitting in traffic and just let the ACC manage the creeping along.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 03:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
We have been happy towing our 5.0 TA with our Silverado 1500 (double cab, 6-ft bed, 5.3 V8, ~14mpg towing up and down CO mtns, 4x4). We bought the truck after driving/comparing with other brands at the time (before we ever heard of Escape). As others have suggested, our brand decision was largely based on driver comfort, visibility, ride, and handling. It is a 2018, has been trouble-free so far.

After a few outings towing, I recommend:

- tow package so you have an integrated brake controller
- pay attention to transmission cooling... buy more if it's an option
- longer bed adds more space.. important with Andersen hitch
- extended mirrors may be handy... the 5.0 is as wide as our truck
- 4x4 has proven important for maneuvering where traction is poor
- if an option, a 7-pin connector inside the bed is a good plan
- watch the bed height.. the newer trucks seem to keep getting larger

Mike
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:40 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
While the trend is now for loaded up pickups, the result is to render half tons rather useless payload wise unless one goes with a base level single cab unit.
You can still have useful payload with a longer cab and reasonable trim, but you need to choose a suitable powertrain combination and probably add a payload package.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:31 PM   #32

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Lorraine- You have received an excellent and wide range of responses. I cannot speak to all the brands as we have just had a Ford, that that too for about 1/2 a year. In your original message, I saw an emphasis of comfort. That was an important consideration for us as well.

We got a 2021 F150 Platinum. In Platinum (I believe a KR with high-end option package as well), the seats are excellent. Also, there is a message feature (don’t remember if it was an option or standard in our trim and 701A) but it is excellent for comfort on long drives. It definitely helps relieve the stress. So, I’d highly recommend you check that out.

The other feather that is excellent is lane centering. It helps keep the truck centered in lane, and that’s particularly helpful when towing. New to towing, it has been a life saver.

Other options - tow mirrors are excellent, and with hybrid - we have a 7.2kW generator that can be used to charge the batteries. So, one doesn’t have to worry about the charge. We have a 6.5’ bed. Although many have 5.5’ bed and are totally fine with it, we are happy about the longer bed and the turning angle it affords. As new to towing (all trailers but 5.0 in particular), we were (and, to a degree, still are) terrible at backing up. So, we have made the full use of the turning angle.

The cruise control options on 2021 F150 include intelligent as well as adaptive cruise control. Both are useful. It allows you to set the distance to the vehicle in the front and slows down / picks up based upon distance to the vehicle in the front. It recognizes the speed limit and can slow you down to the appropriate level.

These are some of the features that stand out to us.

I wish you the best with your search.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
We have been happy towing our 5.0 TA with our Silverado 1500 (double cab, 6-ft bed, 5.3 V8, ~14mpg towing up and down CO mtns, 4x4). We bought the truck after driving/comparing with other brands at the time (before we ever heard of Escape). As others have suggested, our brand decision was largely based on driver comfort, visibility, ride, and handling. It is a 2018, has been trouble-free so far.

After a few outings towing, I recommend:

- tow package so you have an integrated brake controller
- pay attention to transmission cooling... buy more if it's an option
- longer bed adds more space.. important with Andersen hitch
- extended mirrors may be handy... the 5.0 is as wide as our truck
- 4x4 has proven important for maneuvering where traction is poor
- if an option, a 7-pin connector inside the bed is a good plan
- watch the bed height.. the newer trucks seem to keep getting larger

Mike
Wow! Thank you so much for these detailed responses. I'll be taking some time to sift through your recommendations & options.

This process is rather overwhelming for someone with my limited knowledge of trucks & towing, but I'm beginning to be confident that I can build a truck that will work well for me. Could never have done that without all of the help on this forum. I'm indebted to all of you.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:00 PM   #33

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBred View Post
Tundra. Lol
Mine kicks ass every way I have measured it. Granted it is a little light in Payload capacity. No problem with a 5.0. I love mine and am over the moon I get to drive it everywhere.

Just sayin!

p.s. Have you noticed the build quality?
Attached Thumbnails
Tundra Moodra and Zen.jpg  
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
I wouldn't miss adaptive cruise control if I didn't have it. It doesn't work as well as a human mind (well, some minds at least) anticipating what's going to happen. It's basically going to do whatever the person in front of you does. So it ends up slamming on the brakes sometimes, which will toss the contents of your trailer.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:16 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 5.0 T.A.
I have a 2020 Silverado 4x4 crew cab with a 3.0 liter Diesel engine. I get 30 mpg on the highway and 18 to 20 mpg while towing my 5.0. There is nothing better.
Erik65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik65 View Post
I have a 2020 Silverado 4x4 crew cab with a 3.0 liter Diesel engine. I get 30 mpg on the highway and 18 to 20 mpg while towing my 5.0. There is nothing better.
Same exact truck here, and same mileage, with a range of over 400 miles while towing. I think it's a good idea to make a list of priorities to help with the choice...for me, mpg and range on a single tank were at the top of my list, for the type of long hauls I do. So, Toyotas were a non-starter for me and I went with the Chevy. But of course, that's going to be different for others...for example, if long-term reliability is your #1 priority, then maybe Toyota is the best for you.
Old 10-13-2021, 12:52 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Hi Lorrain,
I'm not sure of the weight you'll be towing with the Escape 5.0. But I'm towing my 17B with a 2021 F150 4x4 and the 3.5l Ecoboost and 10 spd transmission. Super rig, great gas mileage and very comfortable.

One consideration I had was the size of the dealer network. I'm on the road most of the winter and I didn't want to search for a dealership for an oil change or warranty work. The other consideration was driving range once I was unhitched. At 22mpg empty and a 36 gallon tank I can roam around and explore. So motor efficiency and a big gas tank might be worth looking at.

Best of luck in your search.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:17 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
While shopping, be sure and inquire about the spare tire, my Ram 1500 came with a temporary spare which is/was unsuitable to use while towing. Thus I had to purchase a full sized wheel and tire and carry it around in the truck bed.
We got RAM 1500. Picked up a full sized tire and steel rim to replace the temp spare. Fits perfectly underneath on the factory spare tire rack.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:34 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
I believe when I went with the FX4 off-road and/or the max payload option on my 2021 F150 the wheel options changed to allow a spare to be a matching rim and tire same as what came on the truck. In some cases the rim was a 17 inch and the tire was an off brand like a Maxxis.

Another thought, if you're ordering a truck it might be worth a trip to the dealer and a talk with the fleet manager or whoever does the dealership ordering to go through your options to double check you're getting what you want.

Also, with chip shortages I saw this summer new Ford trucks were selling at MSRP with no rebates or very small ones. That would have made my truck cost $6k more.
advenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 01:56 PM   #40

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Good responses here. We had a 5.0 on order when we purchased our 2018 Tundra; however, after crunching the numbers (again and again) and consulting with members of this forum, we found we were uneasy with the relatively low payload rating of the Tundra so switched from a 5.0 to a 21. The 5.0 would have been nice but we're more than happy with our 21' AND our Tundra. Don't get a tow vehicle that "just gets by", don't listen to the dealers and do the math yourself.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote