What gets the bugs off? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2024, 06:55 PM   #61

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarry View Post
1/ yes.
2/ as much as can stick to the surface. applied after each wash.
3/ clear petroleum oil. cheapest I can find.
4/ should have no effect. most car waxes contain petroleum, and are supposed to protect against oil,tar, salt, etc.
5/ well, to clean any surface properly for wax, it should be free of all residues and old wax. this will require a water wash to remove water solubles, followed by a solvent wash to remove petro solubles. so, the oil top layer should be of no concern.
Most excellent. Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it this summer.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:35 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape 21
Smile

caveat..
Beware the tiny hard-shelled (or the like) flying insects. I experienced this once in Minnesota. At 60mph into a wind, these bugs are like micro bullets striking your TT TV. In my case, they actually embedded and caused a million micro dents to the TT face. Could not wash away. Had to sand away and resurface. Have no idea which bug species; could be one of thousands. After, I tried 'saran' wrap, but no success: the wrap blows away after 20mph. But the theory of a removable wrap holds water, tho I expect it be uber expensive.
binarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 12:36 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Today was wash day for the 5.0 and the front was plastered with bugs. For years Simple Green was my go to cleaner but lately I have become a fan of Dawn Power Wash (not the basic dish detergent) so I decided to perform a simple experiment. I sprayed half the nose with Simple Green and the other half with Dawn Power Wash. Waited a couple of minutes and rinsed with a basic spray gun on a garden hose. It was no contest. About 90% of the bugs on the Power Wash side rinsed off while only 50% on the Simple Green side rinsed off. The rest of the bugs came off with some light scrubbing using Gel Gloss Rv wash and Wax but the SG side took a little more scrubbing than the DPW side.

Use Power Wash at your own risk, however. While the gel coat finish is glossy white, the DPW may have dulled the decals but I can't be certain. Also, I'm pretty sure it will strip any wax or ceramic coating you may have on your camper. I was planning on waxing the 5.0 anyway.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 12:49 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Use Power Wash at your own risk, however. While the gel coat finish is glossy white, the DPW may have dulled the decals but I can't be certain. Also, I'm pretty sure it will strip any wax or ceramic coating you may have on your camper. I was planning on waxing the 5.0 anyway.
Dawn Power Wash is Dawn concentrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, and water. VERY effective stuff, I even use it for cleaning my bicycle (spray whole thing with Powerwash, let sit a few mins, brush any really greasy places, then hose off). approximately 13 oz water (preferably distilled), 2 oz Dawn , and 1 oz 70% Isopropanol.

I was mixing my own for awhile, but found the refills cheap packaged as 1 spray bottle and 2 refills, and the sprayer wears out after awhile, so got lazy and buy them now. Its a perfect sprayer for this application, most 'generic' sprayers won't foam the same way.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 02:46 PM   #65
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I use Bug Melt on both my 5.0TA and the front end of my chrome laden pickup. I doesn't take a whole lot and the best part, along with it really melting bug guts is it doesn't remove the wax. https://www.wicksaircraft.com/shop/bug-melt
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2024, 03:10 PM   #66
Site Team

WD-40 and a blue ScotchBrite scrubber sponge on the worst of it. After removing the bugs, spray with some cleaner (Dawn PowerWash) and rinse to remove the oils from the WD40, and plan on rewaxing. WD-40 also gets tar spots off. the blue scrubber sponges get algae off the roof, if you have to deal with that.
Old 07-08-2024, 09:32 AM   #67
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
WD-40 and a blue ScotchBrite scrubber sponge on the worst of it. After removing the bugs, spray with some cleaner (Dawn PowerWash) and rinse to remove the oils from the WD40, and plan on rewaxing. WD-40 also gets tar spots off. the blue scrubber sponges get algae off the roof, if you have to deal with that.
WD40 truly is the miracle of our times. Not only does it remove bugs and tar, but my dad use to grind up aspirin, mix it with WD40 and rub it on his arthritic knees. He said it worked. I never tried it.
Old 07-08-2024, 11:44 AM   #68
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
WD40 truly is the miracle of our times. Not only does it remove bugs and tar, but my dad use to grind up aspirin, mix it with WD40 and rub it on his arthritic knees. He said it worked. I never tried it.
WD40 is mostly kerosene and a little light oil.

I do remember once when my ol' 65 F100 decided to fry its starter motor in a OfficeMax parking lot a few miles from home... My bike was in the back of the truck, so I rode it home, grabbed my car, hit the local auto parts store and wow, they had the starter motor for a 65 Ford (really, for just about every Ford from the 50s to the 70s, I think).... anyways, back in the parking lot, I'm under the truck pulling the starter, can of WD 40 near my toolbox, old hippie dude asks me if he can borrow a shot of the WD40, which he sprayed on his hands, saying its great for arthritis because it has XXXX in it (DTMF or something? I forget). Pretty sure it doesn't, but whatever. Drove the car home, rode my bike back to the OfficeMax parking lot and drove the truck home.
Old 07-08-2024, 12:02 PM   #69
Site Team

Quote:
... old hippie dude asks me if he can borrow a shot of the WD40, which he sprayed on his hands, saying its great for arthritis because it has XXXX in it (DTMF or something? I forget). Pretty sure it doesn't,...
DMSO. When I was in college in Tucson in the late 70's, I lived in a trailer park next to a body building gym. They were wholesale distributors of DMSO. It was used as a liniment in the horse racing industry. I was a distance runner, just entering the dark world of ultra endurance running (50-100 mile runs now called ultra marathons). Started getting some knee pain on a run and I was hobbling back home when I passed in front of the gym. Some big dude called me over. He pulled out a squirt bottle from his bag and told me to rub some on my knee. I gave it a try. As soon as I applied it, I immediately tasted something metallic in my mouth. It was DMSO. He said you'll get use to the taste. Even though the pain in my leg went away, I swore I would never use the stuff. Anything that goes on your skin and you can taste it in your mouth can't be good.
Old 07-08-2024, 02:40 PM   #70

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
….hit the local auto parts store and wow, they had the starter motor for a 65 Ford (really, for just about every Ford from the 50s to the 70s, I think).... .
Those were the days, when auto parts stores, dealerships, etc. actually stocked parts
iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 09:24 AM   #71

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What gets the bugs off?

Seriously, is this an appropriate discussion to be having on a family oriented site?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote