What gets the bugs off? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2023, 11:28 AM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I've always used bug and tar remover (several different brands) and it has worked well enough.

After reading this thread I tried the drier sheets. They worked well but left such a difficult-to-remove residue that I didn't use them again.

The last time I needed some bug remover I decided to spend a couple extra bucks and try the Autoglym Car Active Insect Remover Spray.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/a...ug+remover#srp

I used it yesterday on some bugs we accumulated on a recent jaunt and it worked the best of anything I've tried to date. Everything dissolved with a light rub and it all rinsed off with the garden hose. And, it left no residue.
After reading the precautions and first aid measures, think I’ll try the butter or coconut oil.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:37 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
After reading the precautions and first aid measures, think I’ll try the butter or coconut oil.
Hmmm, I'll have to read those. I didn't think of it. Maybe I'll reconsider, too.

I'm used to the instructions on the majority of products I get from Princess Auto here in Canada: "use as intended" so I'm in the habit of skipping over reading them. haha
Old 10-01-2023, 01:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Butter is very effective, but so is mayo and it is generally cheaper. Have never tried Miracle Whip, but I don’t like the taste so I probably won’t try it.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:03 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Carmel Clown... You could try a "Stiff talking to". That might just scare them off. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 03:36 PM   #45

Good thing I was still wearing the protective eyewear and gloves I had on while using acetone minutes before to remove old RV sealant.
I wonder what the warnings are for the acetone?
Old 10-22-2023, 03:57 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Up until our last trip through west Texas, bug splatter wasn't that big of a deal. This trip, however, the nose of the 5.0 apparently took out some Texas sized bugs that then baked on in the heat over the last few days. Took the trailer to the local, high-bay, car wash and gave it a good scrubbing and pressure wash, but the bugs remained. They finally came of with two or three applications of 303 and firm scrub with a microfiber cloth.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 06:52 PM   #47

I carry a squeegee and its dedicated bucket in the trailer. If we're in bug country one of my camp-setup routines is to wash off the front of the truck and trailer. The bugs come off much easier when they are fresh but still sometimes require bug remover.
Old 10-22-2023, 06:57 PM   #48
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Bug Melt. Just don't spray the decals. I use this on the nose of Ten Forward and on the front end of my truck... which has a chrome grill. No scrubbing, no streaks and doesn't remove wax.

https://ppcbest.com/bug-melt/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2023, 08:59 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I haven't tried this dryer sheet trick for removing bugs...but will give a go this week as the accumulated bugs on the front of our 15A and HD2500 from last week's cruise need tending to.

https://youtu.be/IvdB75-hdcQ?si=lRPpWS8TyvWcsIct
Old 10-23-2023, 06:11 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
I haven't tried this dryer sheet trick for removing bugs...but will give a go this week as the accumulated bugs on the front of our 15A and HD2500 from last week's cruise need tending to.

https://youtu.be/IvdB75-hdcQ?si=lRPpWS8TyvWcsIct
I tried dryer sheets this summer and found they did get the bugs off well but left a residue that was very difficult to remove, on the windshield was especially annoying.
Old 10-23-2023, 09:37 AM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
I tried dryer sheets this summer and found they did get the bugs off well but left a residue that was very difficult to remove, on the windshield was especially annoying.
For windshields I use plenty of Windex on a cool windshield. Let it sit a bit and then wipe with a good microfiber cloth. Repeat if needed.

Never underestimate the value of a good microfiber cloth. I find it to be as important if not more important than the product being used.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 10:07 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Cleaning bugs off of glass/windshields is easy: Fine grade bronze wool pad, your choice of window cleaner (I like Sprayway)...keep the glass wet while using the bronze wool pad and any bug splatter on glass doesn't stand a chance; easy-peasy. After glass is cleaned of bug debris, then clean with soft cloths.

Worked as a window cleaner for years and this is a go-to trick for getting most anything off of glass; but not fiber-glass of course
Old 10-23-2023, 08:11 PM   #53

Trailer: 2021 5.0
My first job was washing large pots at a cafeteria, sucked.
But it taught me to let things soak and it will payoff.

Wet things down then walk away and go onto something else, always keep it wet.
Using regular auto washing soap use a soft brush, clean the whole trailer.
Now use a sponge where the bugs are, rinse, repeat 4 or 5 times. Each time letting that area soak a bit.
Then lightly, use the more abrasive side on the stubborn spots,
Never use the green sponges on your camper…
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0838.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 01:27 PM   #54

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Agreed on the soaking! I usually check the trailer early in the morning to see if a dew softened up the bugs. I just use a wet microfiber rag to wipe them off and keep the trailer looking good. The Rejex polish Iowa Dave suggested helps as well.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 08:13 PM   #55

Trailer: escape
25cents... Basically, bugs are a mix of proteins, acids, water. Paints and coatings are polymers, which are like proteins. The rule in chemistry is; like bonds to like, and like dissolves like. Proteins bond to polymers. The bug acid is the problem: it can etch minutely into the RV surface, causing very stubborn adhesion. To prevent adhesion, a protective layer must be applied; but which one? Waxes can help, but the bug acid still etches through most waxes. I have found a coating of clear mineral oil works well. It is unlike the bugs, so no stubborn bonding and etching. But, oil must be applied after each wash. Any clear mineral oil will do: industrial grade will be cheapest by the gallon. Apply via cloth or sponge. If spray is desired, dilute it with a VOC: pure methanol, ethanol, alcohol, etc. (but beware flammability during storage and application) The VOC will evaporate quickly, leaving the oil coating.
binarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:45 AM   #56

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
If it works it will be worth more than the 25 cents. I will try it, using some little used mineral oil I have laying around. Now to get out camping.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 07:52 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarry View Post
25cents... Basically, bugs are a mix of proteins, acids, water. Paints and coatings are polymers, which are like proteins. The rule in chemistry is; like bonds to like, and like dissolves like. Proteins bond to polymers. The bug acid is the problem: it can etch minutely into the RV surface, causing very stubborn adhesion. To prevent adhesion, a protective layer must be applied; but which one? Waxes can help, but the bug acid still etches through most waxes. I have found a coating of clear mineral oil works well. It is unlike the bugs, so no stubborn bonding and etching. But, oil must be applied after each wash. Any clear mineral oil will do: industrial grade will be cheapest by the gallon. Apply via cloth or sponge. If spray is desired, dilute it with a VOC: pure methanol, ethanol, alcohol, etc. (but beware flammability during storage and application) The VOC will evaporate quickly, leaving the oil coating.
Mineral oil on bug prone areas sounds like a wonderful solution. There appear to be several types of mineral oil, both petroleum and synthetic, based on intended usage. I have a bottle of baby oil I'll never come close to using up. I know it is highly refined and has perfumes in it. I assume it would be suitable to use at least as a trial but probably an expensive choice in the long run.

I often have more bugs on the front of the truck than the trailer and spend time at the end of a travel day cleaning the front of the truck and trailer. I presume applying mineral oil to the paint and chrome of the truck would be fine too.

If you don't mind, I have some questions about using mineral oil:
1: Do you use mineral oil for this purpose regularly?
2: How much do you use and how frequently? Apply it each time you wash off the bugs, etc ?
3: Do you have specific suggestions of a type of mineral oil to use for this bug purpose? I see it comes in various sizes and prices vary greatly. I wouldn't think a guy would need a gallon.
4: Will it have any adverse effect on the wax?
5: How would I clean it off in order to re-wax the trailer?

Thanks for any information.
Old 03-06-2024, 08:51 AM   #58

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Are there bugs in Grise Fiord?

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarry View Post
Interesting bug prevention method you have offered.
I had to look up your location....tiny Grise Fiord, translated as "the place that never thaws". Are there bug issues there? No roads thereabouts, the real end of the world, as I read it.

stay frosty,
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:34 PM   #59

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Interesting bug prevention method you have offered.
I had to look up your location....tiny Grise Fiord, translated as "the place that never thaws". Are there bug issues there? No roads thereabouts, the real end of the world, as I read it.

stay frosty,
Not a method per se, and not prevention either. Nothing prevents bugs. I would say mitigation.

I'll be shifting southwards soon.
Old 03-06-2024, 06:46 PM   #60

Smile

Quote:
Mineral oil on bug prone areas sounds like a wonderful solution. There appear to be several types of mineral oil, both petroleum and synthetic, based on intended usage. I have a bottle of baby oil I'll never come close to using up. I know it is highly refined and has perfumes in it. I assume it would be suitable to use at least as a trial but probably an expensive choice in the long run.

I often have more bugs on the front of the truck than the trailer and spend time at the end of a travel day cleaning the front of the truck and trailer. I presume applying mineral oil to the paint and chrome of the truck would be fine too.

If you don't mind, I have some questions about using mineral oil:
1: Do you use mineral oil for this purpose regularly?
2: How much do you use and how frequently? Apply it each time you wash off the bugs, etc ?
3: Do you have specific suggestions of a type of mineral oil to use for this bug purpose? I see it comes in various sizes and prices vary greatly. I wouldn't think a guy would need a gallon.
4: Will it have any adverse effect on the wax?
5: How would I clean it off in order to re-wax the trailer?

Thanks for any information.
1/ yes.
2/ as much as can stick to the surface. applied after each wash.
3/ clear petroleum oil. cheapest I can find.
4/ should have no effect. most car waxes contain petroleum, and are supposed to protect against oil,tar, salt, etc.
5/ well, to clean any surface properly for wax, it should be free of all residues and old wax. this will require a water wash to remove water solubles, followed by a solvent wash to remove petro solubles. so, the oil top layer should be of no concern.