2022 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 23-25 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2022, 10:20 PM   #81

Trailer: 1983 Burro
Update, I was able to change my reservation from site 2 to site 37, so I'll be in the PMAN loop with the rest of the group!
Beagle + Burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 07:45 AM   #82

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Relocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle + Burro View Post
Update, I was able to change my reservation from site 2 to site 37, so I'll be in the PMAN loop with the rest of the group!
Good choice.. are you working on the costume for your beagle for the parade or just bringing his wardrobe and making a game time decision?
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2022, 08:25 AM   #83

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle + Burro View Post

I think I'm at 35? I've never even ever checked into any RV place!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #84

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We are attending the Niagara Rally the week before this one. Maybe next year we can attend as we always like to chat with Iowa Dave!
Old 08-24-2022, 09:14 AM   #85

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I just added Thursday night to our reservation at site 68.

I’m super excited to participate in this rally, our first nights in our trailer were at the Spring Northern Oregon Group rally.

We are probably going to do the drive (2000+ Miles) over seven days and stick to 80. I’m looking forward to meeting Iowa Dave and everyone else in person.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #86

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow, from California to the mighty Mississippi River, just about half way across the USA, enjoy your trip.....
Old 08-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #87

Good to know a lot of folks are planning to attend. Although I joke about it, they are pretty serious about keeping to the posted speed limits. One night both Of my son in laws came down and both got stopped and warned about driving too fast. I can’t remember if the limit is ten or 15 miles an hour but I do know they were less than 5 over.

Also there are the hated “speed bumps” which are abrupt and to be respected for their cupboard opening ability. But all in all Thomson is a nice campground with good deep sites, properly designed for backing in and level.

As you come in and “scoop the loop”, remember to stop adjacent to a water hydrant to put fresh water on if you need it before you park. If you’re near Fudge Brownie’s site, he will be glad to help you. If you forget and set up and then remember, find me and I will loan you a couple 5 gallon plastic jugs and you can fill them as full as you like and lug them to your site. That’s also true during the week if you run low and are in a site too far for your hose(s) to reach.

During the week if you sense that your grey tank is getting too full for comfort you can decant some grey water out of it into a bucket and dump it in a drain specifically signed for dumping. It’s located near the shower house. Otherwise the dump station is a short distance away on the other side of the causeway and you’ll not want to tear down and pull over there, dump and come back. If you have an auxiliary portable tank, that works too.

Looking forward to the week this year, Hoping for calm days, cool nights and blue skies. Should be some pelicans in the area.
A peculiar bird is the Pelican
His beak holds more than his belly can
He can take in his beak, enough food for a week
Though I don’t see how the hell he can.

Have a great day
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2022, 10:04 AM   #88

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow, from California to the mighty Mississippi River, just about half way across the USA, enjoy your trip.....
We are going to the Jersey shore then back to Hazleton and Otter lake in the Poconos. Maybe we’ll run into you too!
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:08 AM   #89

California dreamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I saw the California address too. The water starved west would like to build a pipeline from the big Mississippi all the way to the west coast . They heard I’m always up for a little irrigation project.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2022, 12:49 PM   #90

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Good to know a lot of folks are planning to attend.

Have a great day
Iowa Dave

I'm guessing it's because there are not a lot Rallies "east"(barely ) of The Mississippi for us eastern folks.

This trip will be the first time I get to DO my "Chasing Trials" with my E19. Pup is old enough to Trial. So I'm wandering out to the Rally, doing 2 ASCA(Australian Shepherd Club of America) Obedience/Rally Trials, KY & IL, the weekends before. All ASCA Trials are 3 1/2 hrs from me to begin with. So what's a little farther.

Chasing Trials
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:14 PM   #91

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
We will be coming from the Bigfoot owners camper rally in Sturgis, South Dakota. If Old Man River lets us, Kevin plans to whip up home and grab the canoe. We are not courageous enough to take it out on the main river. We paddled the lily pad area a couple of years ago when there was a pathway. Maybe it will let us do that again.

We are on the last night of a trip to Ovens Natural Park in Nova Scotia to hear the Harry Chapin family concert. We will be home a week and a half and then off again. During that time, we will be finding out what designs the builders plan on our front porch and back mud room, so next summer, we can catch up on the cost of traveling this summer by rocking in our wicker rocking chairs on our new front porch instead of making these long trips, LOL.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #92

Trailer: 2016 Scamp
We had to cancel our reservation Site 1 is now available for Sept 23 and 24
BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2022, 07:39 PM   #93

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I've said it before.....I'll say it again

The Bickelhaupt Botanical Gardens, just across the Big Muddy in Clinton, IA, are a treat for the eyes and spirit, if you hanker for seeing green things.
Free, to boot.
https://www.flowerchick.com/visit-bi...ns-clinton-ia/
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:59 PM   #94

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Sure wish we could make it again this year but we are on a 51 day Michigan camping adventure. Maybe next year.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:00 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Hi Dave. Hope all is well. It’s almost Buckeye time.
Old 08-31-2022, 02:18 PM   #96

Hi Ralph
There’s a lot of good camping in Michigan . I’ve especially enjoyed the UP in the past and the area from Sleeping Bear Dunes up to Leelenaw state park. Lots of great lighthouses too. Hope you don’t miss the raft ride at Palms Book where those monstrous brown trout cruise the Depths of Kitchitikipi
Look forward to camping with you again soon.
Go Bucks!
Iowa Dave
Old 09-05-2022, 10:40 PM   #97

Trailer: 1983 Burro
Canoeing/kayaking

Hi, I've seen several people mention they may want to paddle in the area. I have a friend that does rentals and guiding on the Mississippi and other nearby rivers. If there's an interest I can see if he can either arrange a trip for us or just drop off some boats directly those that don't want to drag them from home. If nothing else, I have room for 2 kayaks on my roof and could bring an extra. Just thought I would mention it!
Beagle + Burro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 07:01 AM   #98

We see some paddlers most every year. There’s some slack water near the campground and some backwater that’s covered with vegetation. Considerable number of birds in the area. Out in the main channel there is some barge traffic to be considered. It mostly runs on the Iowa side of the channel so it takes a while for the wake to come across to the Illinois side.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-06-2022, 07:20 AM   #99

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
Well, we are a couple of hours from the campground in IL. If we want to paddle, we would run home and get the canoe (and check on the cats at home then also). I am afraid to kayak in almost any place but lakes, and while we will have our inflatable kayak with us, coming back from the Bigfoot rally in South Dakota (where the lake in Custer State Park is a joy to kayak in the inflatable), we looked at the backwater at the campground and saw too much gunk in the bottom that might put a hole in it. So our paddling during this rally has been in our canoe.

So, while I can't speak for others, we are covered, but thanks for the offer. See you in a few weeks.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 09:05 AM   #100

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Exclamation Caution, Caution, Caution.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
... ... It is not permissible to park on the turn around circle next to the shelter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Or to put a for sale sign on your trailer or anything else you want to sell, or exceed the posted speed limit. And whatever you do, make sure you watch for .....>
Iowa Dave
>.... the park "police". They will come after you if you do not check-in (even if the booth at the gate is unattended) and do not attempt to park or stop your vehicle in unmarked spots. They are relentless; attempts to hide in the pit toilet will be futile (and perhaps fruitless).
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote