Escape 23 News, July 2023 - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > Escape News
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #61

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Many years ago I read an article in Forbes about understanding difference in the value of money. The article compared Bill Gates, I think worth $58B at the time, to your everyday average America.

They equated Bill Gates buying a $400,000 Lamborghini as equal to your everyday average hardworking America family buying an 85 cent Snickers Bar.

Amazing what a couple more zeros can buy you.
** Musk: $240B +/-
** Bezos: $160B +/-
** Zuckerberg: Suffering at $110B +/-

Do the math and see how many years it would take you to spend just $1 Billion at $1,000/Day ($365,000/Year).

Seems a little out of wack to this everyday average hardworking American family. But we feel very blessed to have been able to afford our 2021 21C. It's our Snickers Bar!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 09:09 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Net worth is not necessarily spendable. Musk had to borrow money to buy Twitter.
Old 08-06-2023, 11:10 AM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Got a tour of an Adria while waiting for a ferry in Hvar; sure wish the U.S. was one of the 30 countries they ship to. They now make tandem axle trailers too.

Old 08-06-2023, 11:33 AM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Got a tour of an Adria while waiting for a ferry in Hvar; sure wish the U.S. was one of the 30 countries they ship to. They now make tandem axle trailers too.
From the video, looks like their construction methods are similar to those of the big conventional RV companies in the US midwest.

Escape owners tiring of pulling trailers and thinking of motorhomes might want to look at a company in Florida that is making Class B+ motorhomes on truck chassis (Ford and Mercedes) with molded-fiberglass bodies. They're called Coach House, and AFAIK are the only company making molded-fiberglass motorhomes:

https://www.coachhouserv.com

Their 'Platinum' models are all molded-fibergass coaches (their Arriva models are converted Mercedes vans).

They offer twin beds. Like Escape, they sell factory direct. But warning: they are expensive!
Old 08-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #65

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Net worth is not necessarily spendable. Musk had to borrow money to buy Twitter.
True but I wouldn't be too upset with a couple of a hundred billion dollars NET Worth. I could buy myself a nice $500M 417 foot sailing yacht instead of a little Escape travel trailer. Or maybe even build a rocket ship.

A friend always jokes: "It's all about perspective". We probably love our little Escape as much as Jeff loves his $500M yacht.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #66

Trailer: 2012 E19
There are some real rags-to-riches stories nowadays.

Mine is more of a rags-to-less-tattered-rags story, though.
Old 08-07-2023, 06:55 AM   #67

Trailer: 2015 Casita
Interesting
Rbmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:56 PM   #68

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberman View Post
The build & price sheets on ETI's website now show pick up in Chilliwack, BC is free and anything else is $2500. They show a new "flat rate" pricing on their delivery page.

So the prior info I've seen on picking up in Chilliwack was that US customers would have to pay Canadian taxes and that's why ETI had to export the trailer to Sumas. If that's still the case it seems that ETI is now forcing a delivery charge on US customers.
Yes, I see that on their website too - Has anyone confirmed with ETI that the $2500 flat rate delivery actually does apply to Sumas pick up? (Also, wondering if Canadian taxes would apply to US buyers picking up in Chilliwack?)
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 12:10 AM   #69

Quote:
The build & price sheets on ETI's website now show pick up in Chilliwack, BC is free and anything else is $2500. They show a new "flat rate" pricing on their delivery page.

So the prior info I've seen on picking up in Chilliwack was that US customers would have to pay Canadian taxes and that's why ETI had to export the trailer to Sumas. If that's still the case it seems that ETI is now forcing a delivery charge on US customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
In some pictures there is no storage box, and in another the storage box is in place. That storage box is the reason for the extra two feet in length, but apparently no one has caught this discrepancy until now.

The interior length is 19’ 4” whereas our Bigfoot 25RQ front hitch/lp tank area is 38” and the rear bumper out.6” for 44”. Total BF length is 25’ 6’ so the exterior of the camper is 22’ 4”, with 3” walls would be 21’10” interior length. So the Bigfoot is 2’ 6” longer and has ducted heat and heated underbelly for $25,000 extra (with lithium/Multiplus/400 watts solar). And that $25,000 extra to get what we wanted is why we couldn’t afford a new BF.

I have yet to see the tongue weight. Our BF’s tongue is 950 - 975#s loaded (according to our Sherline tongue weight scale), and we don’t have the front box. The axles are further back on the Escape 23, so I would expect it to be over 600#’s loaded.

I do like the complete package at $65,000 though and feel that is a very reasonable price. This is the area I was expecting a fully outfitted Escape to be priced. However, the small dinette/entry, the lack of a bedroom wall, and the extra length for the storage box would nix us, but for others it will be a great trailer. Perhaps they’ll make a version with a different layout, shorter frame, and no front storage, a that would fit our needs better.

There are still times I miss our 5.0 though. That extra 4’ has cost us quite a few great camping spots.

Enjoy,

Perry
We got to tour the E23 when visiting the factory in June & had narrowed down our choices to the 5.0 & E23. The E23 is a very nice trailer, but based on price & increased campsite access, I think we've decided to go with the 5.0.
Old 08-14-2023, 03:33 PM   #70

Quote:

I contacted ETI about shipping and import/taxes for pick up in Sumas vs Chilliwack and just received this reply today:
Yes, it is true if you collect in Sumas the delivery fee would be $2500. If you collect in Chilliwack there would be no cost and you would not pay any Canadian taxes nor would you need to arrange for your own importation. We will take care of the necessary documents as always.
Old 08-23-2023, 06:46 PM   #71

Trailer: 1962 None
Agreed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingDan View Post
At more than $60k I doubt they’d have any buyers, that’s getting into high end brand territory, which Escape is not. I’ve lost interest in it, for not terribly much more I can get a Bigfoot (or an Oliver which isn’t my thing) which is longer, four season and better all around.

The allure of Escape is first, the customization and second, the relatively affordable price for an egg. They’ve been taking away that latter benefit, making may of us look elsewhere.
They've blown their own market position. They must have thought their product was capable of competing with high end companies. It isn't. It was a no brainer before. Now, its easy to be attracted elsewhere, with far greater support and accessibly. A very, very dumb move in this economy.
TPABrahma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:35 PM   #72

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPABrahma View Post
They've blown their own market position. They must have thought their product was capable of competing with high end companies. It isn't. It was a no brainer before. Now, its easy to be attracted elsewhere, with far greater support and accessibly. A very, very dumb move in this economy.
There are certain brands of auto manufacturers that I wouldn’t care to own, in fact the prices for some of their vehicles blow me away. People like what they like, things I might purchase others wouldn’t even consider.
I’m not in the habit of researching the Bigfoot products or their pricing, but I have no interest in them. Everyone should choose the vehicle or camper they prefer. I do know I wouldn’t waste my time going onto other products sites and complaining, but it’s your day…

This new math inflation has created has just begun to hit everything and everyone.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:42 PM   #73

Trailer: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
There are certain brands of auto manufacturers that I wouldn’t care to own, in fact the prices for some of their vehicles blow me away. People like what they like, things I might purchase others wouldn’t even consider.
That’s not the point, I’m open to any fiberglass egg and represent the customer they’re trying to get. If you are a Escape Only buyer then done - they don’t need to do anything. For good sales you want to poach the customers that might go elsewhere, it’s all about the margin baby.

In the ‘23 the only premium I see is the Victron system, which is pretty nice with the color screen and all. Not that I see really needing or caring about it, I’ve got enough screens in my life I’d prefer not having one stuck in the wall actually. A BT app is more than enough. The rest of it is pretty plain, the body design is a shoebox, the bathroom is wet and looks off the shelf. The front propane looks big box store. Compare to Oliver and Bigfoot, which are only an additional $10k and it’s a world of difference.

Just my view, but maybe I represent the customer they should be trying to get. At low $50k’s the Escape ‘23 would be in the running. The 21’s are in the low $40k’s USD, right? Why a $20k jump for two more feet? Basically $10k premium from the 21’s looks more reasonable to me.
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:00 PM   #74

Quote:
That’s not the point, I’m open to any fiberglass egg and represent the customer they’re trying to get. If you are a Escape Only buyer then done - they don’t need to do anything. For good sales you want to poach the customers that might go elsewhere, it’s all about the margin baby.

In the ‘23 the only premium I see is the Victron system, which is pretty nice with the color screen and all. Not that I see really needing or caring about it, I’ve got enough screens in my life I’d prefer not having one stuck in the wall actually. A BT app is more than enough. The rest of it is pretty plain, the body design is a shoebox, the bathroom is wet and looks off the shelf. The front propane looks big box store. Compare to Oliver and Bigfoot, which are only an additional $10k and it’s a world of difference.

Just my view, but maybe I represent the customer they should be trying to get. At low $50k’s the Escape ‘23 would be in the running. The 21’s are in the low $40k’s USD, right? Why a $20k jump for two more feet? Basically $10k premium from the 21’s looks more reasonable to me.
Everyone has an opinion.
Thanks for yours…
Old 08-24-2023, 08:26 AM   #75

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
We got to tour the E23 when visiting the factory in June & had narrowed down our choices to the 5.0 & E23. The E23 is a very nice trailer, but based on price & increased campsite access, I think we've decided to go with the 5.0.
Going from a 5.0 to a 25' Bigfoot the 1st thing we noticed was how harder it is to back a camper that is 25' behind the truck vs one only 17' behind the same truck. However, we can still get into most sites the 5.0 backed into easily, but have lost some sites because of the extra length. It's the price you pay for a larger camper.

I really wish there would have been a way to modify the dinette in the 5.0 to accommodate my back.

Quote:
Comparably equipped, it's much closer to $25,000 more for a similar Bigfoot. There's a lot of candy on that $65,000 Escape 25.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-24-2023, 09:06 AM   #76

I really wish there would have been a way to modify the dinette in the 5.0 to accommodate my back.

This has helped.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0779.jpg  
Old 08-24-2023, 11:14 AM   #77

Quote:

This has helped.
The length from the back window to the fridge wall or the stove wall is too short, and I'm only 5' 9".

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-24-2023, 02:14 PM   #78

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Pull the bottom cushion out 4" or so at the fridge or stove end. Legs can be straight out. Works for me and I'm taller than 5'-9".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 03:50 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Pull the bottom cushion out 4" or so at the fridge or stove end. Legs can be straight out. Works for me and I'm taller than 5'-9".
Car accident in 1975 gave me what they called soft tissue muscle damage. I was in the hospital for over 3 weeks, 1/2 that time in critical condition. Luckily I had no concussion and my brain can still see that accident in slow motion.

However, my right let was nearly amputated at the knee. The Minnesota Vikings surgeon spent over 5 hours grafting ligaments (?) to give me a working knee. It took well over 10 years of rehab and now my knee is fine. I was in a cast from late September to late January, and had they known, would have had me sit square to possibly heal the back muscles. They didn't and the muscles healed incorrectly. Because of all the pain killers they gave me for the first 2-3 months the back issue was ignored. Yes, I had problems getting off the meds, but a week of hell and the pain med addiction was over. Hell, I was just lucky to be alive.

After years of looking I finally found a chiropractor who knew how to adjust my back, however the pain will never go away, you just learn how to ignore the basic pain. My back really can't sit at an angle. It must be 90 degrees to the rear wall, no more, no less. Unless you have my muscle damage you really can't understand. With the open ends of either side of our Bigfoot's dinette, I can sit square and not have any issues.

Aside from my issue, we'd still be traveling in our 5.0.

Thanks though,

Perry
Old 08-24-2023, 07:28 PM   #80

Trailer: N/A
Quote:
Everyone has an opinion.
Thanks for yours…
I’m disappointed in their pricing as I haven’t bought yet, and was keeping them as my budget option. Perhaps Escape is watching forums and paying attention to what customers are saying, otherwise I’d have just silently walked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
There's a lot of candy on that $65,000 Escape 25
Which is?
EscapingDan is offline   Reply With Quote