Dish ware - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2020, 02:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
This thread inspired me to pick up a pair of the Mainstays 50 cent plastic bowls and a pair of matching plates at WM today. They say microwave safe and dishwasher (top rack) safe, neither of which I have in my trailer anyway! "BPA Free," but they don't say exactly what they're made of; checking on their website, looks like it's polypropylene. My old plastic plates are bowed up in the middle and one of the bowls (very thin plastic) has cracked at the top lip. I figure it's hard to go wrong for $2. The old ones lasted several years of occasional camping trips. These are notably thicker and sturdier, yet still feel plenty light in weight. I really like 'em.

Looks like it's this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...Bowl/100844739
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
One conundrum with Corelle is that what you see on Amazon is not the true, sturdy formula of the original Construction of the dish ware that you see on the Corelle website. I know because I contacted them and asked.

I also sent for a couple of dishes from Amazon, and they were thinner as well as more fragile than the Corelle website brand. I don’t know if Corelle contracts out with other companies or these are copies, knock-offs or what
The original manufacturer of Corelle sold the name and manufacturing process a few years ago. There may also be knock-offs, but they shouldn't be using the Corelle name. There are other legitimate tempered glass products as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We have been using Corelle for about 30 years now, and bring a full set as we often have company.

I will not use paper. Not only is it a environmental waste, it is really a pain to use. A quick wash of the Corelle, then a wipe dry, and they are like new still. I saw a mention regarding rinsing, that is something we never do as wiping dry right away does the trick fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Corelle tends to shatter into shards and more likely as it gets older so I don't use it camping though I love it at home.
Our 20 year old Corelle has seen a couple major crashes along with regular dropping, and has survived all but one incident with no breaking. The one where we did lose a couple pieces, the trailer went for a big crash and we only lost 2 items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanLewis View Post
Here's another vote for Corelle, with a caveat. We've found over the years that when it's stacked without cushioning the constant vibration (and occasional bounce) results in a radically shorter life, so now we stack it with a felt cushion between each plate or bowl. We've also lined all the cabinets with 4mm EVA foam, which does a good job dampening vibration and reduces the tendency for things to slide around in transit. I expect the Corelle will outlast us.[/url]
My wife uses small squares of that sticky shelf liner stuff between plates. It too stops the rattling as well as any shifting of the layers.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The original manufacturer of Corelle sold the name and manufacturing process a few years ago. There may also be knock-offs, but they shouldn't be using the Corelle name. There are other legitimate tempered glass products as well.
True enough. I thought I read that somewhere as well.

I ordered a dish set from Corelle (website) for my vacation rental house, on sale fortunately. They were only slightly more expensive than the so-called Corelle dishes on Amazon. But the quality couldn’t have been more different. The Amazon “Corelle“ was almost transparent when held next to the Corelle website dishes.

Now comparing the Corelle website dishes to my own set purchased in 2002, there is a marked difference in thickness and quality as well. The 2002 dishes were the best quality of all. No chips or breakage, where as the other Amazon brand has shattered.

I also read that when they sold their company, they did admit that the formula would change.

So, who knows?
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:30 AM   #25

Thanks Mike and Jim for your comments as well. I’ll look into the main stays dishes.

I just don’t know if anything leeches out of these plastic items when using the microwave. That’s why I thought the wheat dishes were intriguing.

LOL. But they’re not gluten-free are they?
Old 07-01-2020, 09:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Thanks Mike and Jim for your comments as well. I’ll look into the main stays dishes.

I just don’t know if anything leeches out of these plastic items when using the microwave. That’s why I thought the wheat dishes were intriguing.

LOL. But they’re not gluten-free are they?
That's why I use the Nordic Ware Microwave Plates and Bowls (also available at WalMart, next to the microwaves), they are specifically designed for microwave use.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
That's why I use the Nordic Ware Microwave Plates and Bowls (also available at WalMart, next to the microwaves), they are specifically designed for microwave use.
Thanks, TT. I saw your other comment with the Nordic Ware photos. As I’ve done my research on the safest dishware and cookware, surprisingly, they didn’t turn up. But now that I’ve looked at their website, and researched a bit further, they definitely are a contender for us.
Thanks, again!
Old 07-01-2020, 11:38 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Not having a microwave my dishes are not microwaveable, in fact they are porcelain metal plates that are sturdy and can handle hot temperatures such as warming up some biscuits on the plate on a grill or griddle. I have has these for maybe 20 years. made by Coleman...and if you get bored you can always use them as frisbees around the campsite.
Attached Thumbnails
b5b1acc0-725e-4af7-ad2b-6098b1a93a41_1.fbdbeffffcf9fb56aa301308b30a0607.jpeg  
Old 07-01-2020, 11:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Thanks, TT. I saw your other comment with the Nordic Ware photos. As I’ve done my research on the safest dishware and cookware, surprisingly, they didn’t turn up. But now that I’ve looked at their website, and researched a bit further, they definitely are a contender for us.
Thanks, again!
The fact that they are 'Made in the USA' is a big plus IMO.

I try to avoid stuff made in China, especially something like that where who knows what it can be leaching into your food.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

I try to avoid stuff made in China, especially something like that where who knows what it can be leaching into your food.

I'd look for dishes made in Flint, Mich.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd look for dishes made in Flint, Mich.
Yes, remember when cars where made in Michigan, and you couldn't drink the water in Mexico, not the other way around.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #32

Quote:

Great point! We try to avoid MIC products, too, for those safety reasons.
Old 07-01-2020, 02:08 PM   #33

Trailer: escape 19
Question for Artlady: Where did Corelle mention that their products made prior to 2005 leech out lead? I use Corelle in our camper, all bought at the thrift shop, not matching, and is probably from the 70's. Maybe I need to go buy new! I use Corelle because I hate eating and drinking off plastic -- even melamine -- but now I'm not so sure I should be!
stevemcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #34

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
From Corelle's web site.

"Do Corelle® products contain lead?

All Corelle® stoneware products and glazes are made of clay-based materials and glazes used throughout the industry. Decorations, if present, are made from low-lead enamels and fired at temperatures exceeding 1000 degrees F, which binds any heavy metals both physically and chemically so that their release is minimized.

The current limit for presence of leachable lead in order to satisfy certain requirements is no more than 0.100 ppm (1 tenth of one part per million) when obtained under test conditions. At no time have Corelle Brands results exceeded levels permissible under the guidelines mentioned above (which are believed to be the most stringent in the world).

Tests for the presence of heavy metals are conducted for Corelle Brands by internationally certified, third-party laboratories under strict conditions, by trained technicians, and using atomic absorption spectrophotometry analysis following carefully monitored preparation. These steps are necessary to minimize any possibility of contamination or false reading during preparation, testing or analysis."

https://secure.corellebrands.com/faqs-corelle.html
Old 07-02-2020, 10:05 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not having a microwave my dishes are not microwaveable, in fact they are porcelain metal plates that are sturdy and can handle hot temperatures such as warming up some biscuits on the plate on a grill or griddle. I have has these for maybe 20 years. made by Coleman...and if you get bored you can always use them as frisbees around the campsite.

Hey Jim,
Be careful, those enameled plates can be very high in lead. As a matter of fact most dinnerware produced before 2005 or so can leach lead. New dinnerware can also be high in lead but they are required to have a warning. Yikes!

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
Here's the quote from Corelle regarding their 'vintage' pieces. I know folks who are trying to reduce lead exposure have lauded the company for doing this, not many manufacturers will tell you how much lead is in their product but it's quite alarming. As Bob pointed out, Corelle now has very low to no lead in their products (especially the all white versions). Hope this helps, I just ordered some new Corelle for the trailer.
Kathie

“Thank you for contacting contacting Corelle Brands.
Prior to the 1990s, virtually all glass and ceramic ware made anywhere in the world contained Lead as a primary ingredient in the decorating fluxes and glazes. All our products have been Lead free since the mid-2000’s. Lead content has never been regulated until recently. We recommend using the items you have as decorative pieces. We hope this information is helpful.
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:56 AM   #37

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Sorry, just gotta say this: Its simply amazing how many people are living well into their 70s and 80s, and some even into their 90s after being exposed to dishes containing lead. I remember when toothpaste came in soft metal tubes. Gee, I wonder what metal that was. The we took chemistry in high school and actually touched (gasp) mercury. Of course, that was back in the day when pharmacies sold mercurochrome, which actually contained.......well, that’s obvious from the name. And cookware containing Teflon (gasp again)? And then the cancer causing substances when fat from meat drops on hot coals and rises as smoke, flavoring the meat. Are we really panicking over the safety of dinner plates? Just sayin’......
Old 07-02-2020, 11:04 AM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Are we really panicking over the safety of dinner plates? Just sayin’......
I'm not panicking, but I'd rather buy new dishware that would last me the rest of my camping life, than grandma's hand-me downs or purchase from a second-hand store.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #39

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave&Kathie View Post
Here's the quote from Corelle regarding their 'vintage' pieces. I know folks who are trying to reduce lead exposure have lauded the company for doing this, not many manufacturers will tell you how much lead is in their product but it's quite alarming. As Bob pointed out, Corelle now has very low to no lead in their products (especially the all white versions). Hope this helps, I just ordered some new Corelle for the trailer.
Kathie

“Thank you for contacting contacting Corelle Brands.
Prior to the 1990s, virtually all glass and ceramic ware made anywhere in the world contained Lead as a primary ingredient in the decorating fluxes and glazes. All our products have been Lead free since the mid-2000’s. Lead content has never been regulated until recently. We recommend using the items you have as decorative pieces. We hope this information is helpful.
When exactly is mid-2000's? To me mid-2000's would be centered around 2050 like mid-century being around 1950's. I guess they mean around 2005 and if they did why didn't they say around 2005. It must be me as I haven't had breakfast yet on my Corelle dishes.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:56 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Sorry, just gotta say this: Its simply amazing how many people are living well into their 70s and 80s, and some even into their 90s after being exposed to dishes containing lead. I remember when toothpaste came in soft metal tubes. Gee, I wonder what metal that was. The we took chemistry in high school and actually touched (gasp) mercury. Of course, that was back in the day when pharmacies sold mercurochrome, which actually contained.......well, that’s obvious from the name. And cookware containing Teflon (gasp again)? And then the cancer causing substances when fat from meat drops on hot coals and rises as smoke, flavoring the meat. Are we really panicking over the safety of dinner plates? Just sayin’......
As a cancer survivor, and someone who's spouse is battling cancer right now, I say BS. How many of those people living into their 70s, 80s, and 90s, had to deal with medical issues that might have been aggravated by all of those (gasp) items that you feel can be dismissed offhand.

BTW, I had cancer at 45 and my wife is 55 now. I wouldn't wish the 6 months of aggressive IV chemotherapy that I went through on anybody.