Hello Escape Members - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-23-2023, 04:20 PM   #61
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
One more thing I recommend to new and existing owners is saving your spare tire by adding some spacers to the wheel studs so that the tire does not sit so close to the vertical bar it is mounted to.

Others who have not done this repot that when they went to use the spare (usually some years later), the vertical bar had made a permanent imprint on the tire wall likely making the tire unsafe. There is plenty of room on the wheel studs to add some washers and still mount the tire safely, and allow it to remain round and avoid a flat spot caused by the mount bar.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:10 PM   #62

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Dougo View Post
... What are your thoughts pertaining to the lift kit? ...
I have it and I'm glad I do, for the following reasons

I didn't strictly need the lift with the 2WD F150 I had when I bought the trailer; David Murphy suggested I might enjoy the extra-generous rail-clearance on rare occasion so I went with that (David has never steered me wrong ). With the Andersen Hitch and that truck I ran the hitch ball on the middle hole to achieve near-perfect trailer level - all good!

Now I have a 4WD F150 and it's just a tad taller to the bed floor. Rail clearance is not an issue (still generous) but Oh Boy am I glad I've got that lift kit for trailer-level purposes. I now run the Andersen Hitch ball in the top hole (lowest ball height) setting and again the trailer is riding near-perfect level. Absent the lift kit it would be running a bit nose-high even with the Andersen at its lowest setting. I'm happier with near-perfect trailer-level from a weight-transfer, axle-loading, and long-term tire-wear perspective. The same might be achieved by adjusting the pin-box height (raising the pin-box to the top holes), but that's a much more serious undertaking.

So, IMO, the lift kit can not only provide extra rail clearance, but it along with hitch-height adjustment can also provide a perhaps more suitable range of adjustment for trailer-level with a variety of full-sized trucks.

Just for your consideration, happy camping!
Old 01-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

So, IMO, the lift kit can not only provide extra rail clearance, but it along with hitch-height adjustment can also provide a perhaps more suitable range of adjustment for trailer-level with a variety of full-sized trucks.

Ditto. We didn't have it on our build sheet, but the 5.0 we purchased through the lottery had it. So, so, glad it had a lift kit. We also have a Ford F150 4X4 6.5 box
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:54 PM   #64

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Hi - interesting the ETI doesn't put the microwave on its own circuit. I will ask it they will make that happen. I believe that here in Ontario, the Electrical code requires that microwaves are on their own circuit otherwise breakers will trip. In my minds eye, ETI should be doing this.

Safe travels!
Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay, ON
After I took delivery of the 2021 21NE trailer and I figured out the microwave was on a receptacle circuit, I did talk to ETI about the need and code for a microwave dedicated circuit. I don't think that code applies to trailers though. Non the less, the microwave should be on its own circuit for a number of reasons.

For me, the practical reason is that I run an electric heater plugged into a receptacle that used to be on the microwave circuit. I had to remember not to use the microwave when the heater was running.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:12 AM   #65

Trailer: Escape 2023 21NE
We live in Toronto and placed our deposit in August 2021 for a 21NE. I retired March 1, 2022. Since Escapes are so rare in Ontario, we decided to attend the 2022 rally in Osoyoos in order to be able to talk to all the Escape owners gathered there. We drove our new 2022 F-150 across Canada (through Thunder Bay) and arrived in Osoyoos on May 27th. After the rally, we continued to Chilliwack and visited the showroom at ETI. We meet with Linda and our experience with Escape has been superb. Our trailer will be ready for us end of January. I can't wait!! And am looking forward to attending the 2023 rally in Osoyoos.
Old 01-25-2023, 11:34 AM   #66

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Glad that it's all working out for you.

The available number of campsites is dwindling fast so get yours sooner than later.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #67

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Excited for you Don, you’re go8ng to love it!

See you in Osoyoos in May.
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:43 AM   #68

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0
Great tip …. thank you!
Safety Dougo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

I didn't strictly need the lift with the 2WD F150 I had when I bought the trailer; David Murphy suggested I might enjoy the extra-generous rail-clearance on rare occasion so I went with that (David has never steered me wrong ). With the Andersen Hitch and that truck I ran the hitch ball on the middle hole to achieve near-perfect trailer level - all good!

Now I have a 4WD F150 and it's just a tad taller to the bed floor. Rail clearance is not an issue (still generous) but Oh Boy am I glad I've got that lift kit for trailer-level purposes. I now run the Andersen Hitch ball in the top hole (lowest ball height) setting and again the trailer is riding near-perfect level. Absent the lift kit it would be running a bit nose-high even with the Andersen at its lowest setting. I'm happier with near-perfect trailer-level from a weight-transfer, axle-loading, and long-term tire-wear perspective. The same might be achieved by adjusting the pin-box height (raising the pin-box to the top holes), but that's a much more serious undertaking.

WOW …. see, you don’t know what you don’t know! Your info has helped solidify our decision to get the lift kit.

Safe travels out there!
Old 01-25-2023, 11:55 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny A View Post
We live in Toronto and placed our deposit in August 2021 for a 21NE. I retired March 1, 2022. Since Escapes are so rare in Ontario, we decided to attend the 2022 rally in Osoyoos in order to be able to talk to all the Escape owners gathered there. We drove our new 2022 F-150 across Canada (through Thunder Bay) and arrived in Osoyoos on May 27th. After the rally, we continued to Chilliwack and visited the showroom at ETI. We meet with Linda and our experience with Escape has been superb. Our trailer will be ready for us end of January. I can't wait!! And am looking forward to attending the 2023 rally in Osoyoos.
Great news and for us too. Looks like we are getting our trailer now in June this year. Original date was July 2024.

What colour interior did you choose and are you going with extra support in the walls & insulation under the trailer?

End of Jan is just around the corner

Safe travels!

Doug & Roma
Thunder Bay
Old 01-25-2023, 01:23 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape 2023 21NE
We went with Contemporary (white) interior, Shadow Grey floors, Monroe Steel fabric, and custom Nero Marquina (black with white veins) formica. We went for all walls reinforced and insulation and the heating pads.

Additionally, we supplied our own Nova Kool RFU8220DC compressor fridge (this will stir the pot, lol) to ETI and had them install it as the trailer went down the line.
Old 01-25-2023, 04:36 PM   #72

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
Additionally, we supplied our own Nova Kool RFU8220DC compressor fridge (this will stir the pot, lol) to ETI and had them install it as the trailer went down the line.
No pot-stirring here, I'll just offer kudos for getting what you wanted and I'm happy for you that ETI was inclined to that accommodation at the time.

Looks like a wonderful refrigerator and sounds like a beautiful interior!
Old 01-25-2023, 07:46 PM   #73
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Spare and Spacers

I don’t have to worry about that with my spare, it’s already on the trailer. I picked up a screw in one of the trailer tires (less than 1000 miles on trailer). But I will put spacers on the tire that was plugged and will now serve as my spare. Thanks for the tip.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 05:51 AM   #74

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Would not change a thing!
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:24 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by land’SCAPE View Post
You may know this but you need an RV approved carrier for your bikes. The distance from the rear axle to the back of the trailer amplifies the movement you’d see on your car so they’re more robust. We got the Swagman E-Spec and have been very happy. It has a screw-in bolt (plus it’s locking) to tighten the hitch connection so you don’t get the side to side rocking as much. We’ve had it out all around our bouncy island and it’s performed well.

Product details
Type: Towbar Mount
Features: Folding
The E-SPEC is a hitch-mounted platform rack that is RV-approved to carry heavier ebikes safely on the back of motorhomes and travel trailers. It carries 1-2 bikes up to 80 lb each (70 lb/bike in RV-approved mode). It works with wheels 20"-29" with tires up to 3" wide. Locking ratchet arms secure your bike to the rack.

Richard
Hello

I didn't even think the bike rack we have been using on our car wouldn't work on the trailer. Thanks for mentioning this! Question: For the bike rack you're using, what is the minimum trailer hitch tongue weight? From what I have seen so far, most are requiring a minimum of 350 lbs for the trailer hitch tongue weight.

Thanks again for pointing this out

Kind regards
Doug
Old 01-26-2023, 12:22 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA
Not sure if I’ll confuse you, but I think you meant maximum allowable weight. (?)

Unless their spec has changed, the maximum weight you can apply on the provided Escape hitch, is 150#.

I did the math on our bike setup first, not wanting to exceed the max. Without looking it up, I think the Swagman e-spec hitch was approx. 44# and together with our 2 e-bikes we’re under that max. While our batteries are locked when installed in the bikes, we still remove them for travel, as they’re approx 7# ea. (!) and I think that put us slightly over. We would remove them anyway, for security reasons. This rack is nice - it clears the Escape spare tire at the back & folds up, when not in use.

Richard
land’SCAPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 12:48 PM   #77

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Hello

I didn't even think the bike rack we have been using on our car wouldn't work on the trailer. Thanks for mentioning this! Question: For the bike rack you're using, what is the minimum trailer hitch tongue weight? From what I have seen so far, most are requiring a minimum of 350 lbs for the trailer hitch tongue weight.
Doug - when using a bike rack the Escape rear receiver is "rated" for 150# but in reality it will hold more. Escape originally had it rated at 300# but word is their insurer made them reduce it. Not recommending to load it as such. My point is strength of the receiver/bumper is not the issue. What most need to be cautious of is putting too much weight on the rear and making the trailer tongue light on the hitch. Weight on the back has a pronounced effect and too light on the tongue can induce sway. You probably have some more latitude with the trailering dynamics of a 5.0. Nonetheless if you needed to shift some weight forward you could move the spare tire underneath towards the front or consider mounting it on the pin box like some have done.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:58 PM   #78

Ooh, sounds nice and the fridge plan worked - perfect!
Old 01-26-2023, 02:09 PM   #79

Quote:
We went with Contemporary (white) interior, Shadow Grey floors, Monroe Steel fabric, and custom Nero Marquina (black with white veins) formica. We went for all walls reinforced and insulation and the heating pads.

Hi - nice . . . we are probably going with the contemporary look due to the small size of the trailer, the summit ash fabric, savanna tobacco floor and the silver quartzite counter top/table. Then we can colour things up with cushions, pillows and colourful quilt. So many options - like a kid in a candy store

Kind regards
Doug
Old 01-26-2023, 02:28 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Doug - when using a bike rack the Escape rear receiver is "rated" for 150# but in reality it will hold more. Escape originally had it rated at 300# but word is their insurer made them reduce it. Not recommending to load it as such. My point is strength of the receiver/bumper is not the issue. What most need to be cautious of is putting too much weight on the rear and making the trailer tongue light on the hitch. Weight on the back has a pronounced effect and too light on the tongue can induce sway. You probably have some more latitude with the trailering dynamics of a 5.0. Nonetheless if you needed to shift some weight forward you could move the spare tire underneath towards the front or consider mounting it on the pin box like some have done.
Hi - you have raised more good points. I thought we were good to go until it makes sense to have an RV approved/tested bicycle rack. They are way more robust. Our bikes with battery weigh 60# each. Our existing bike rack is 40#. It is rated for 2 60# bikes but for RV-ing, it drops down to 40# bikes. Even with the batteries removed, the bikes are 50# each. Now concerned of the forces on the rack itself. The other issue is we have fenders on the bikes and most racks will not secure bikes with fenders as the clamp would come in contact with the fender. Guess we could take the fenders off tho. I have to do more research on RV bike racks that will fit into a 150# receiver/hitch {some say the hitch would have to support a minimum of 350#}. (I know you mentioned Escape will hold more than 150# but I'm just trying to stay within all limits).

Safe travels
Doug