Is the Ford Ranger enough.... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2023, 01:56 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
If I was in the market for a new truck, I’d be looking hard at a new Ranger. One big reason I bought my 19 was that it could be safely towed with a SUV or mid sized pickup. Similar to many others, I just don’t want to drive a full size pickup. I’m not a large of tall person, and I can barely see over the dash of some of these bigger trucks without jacking the seat way up. My Colorado has been an ideal match for my 19, even under less than ideal conditions. I’ve towed in extreme crosswinds and had to do some really hard stops. No problem, ever, and I’ve never felt unsafe.

That said, I wouldn’t be without 4WD. I live 8 miles up a dirt road. The last mile is pretty steep. Without putting it in 4WD, it starts spinning in loose gravel while towing the trailer home; even with very good tires on the truck it just won’t go up the steepest part. If one is planning to tow their trailer up a steep dirt road with loose gravel, even if it’s just a short distance, there could be trouble without 4WD. In addition, I camped in a flat grassy field years ago, with a bunch of others. When the event started, the weather was sunny and dry, and no one had any trouble getting their rigs in. The night before everyone was planning to leave, it rained hard all night. The next day, those with 2WD could not tow out, their rear wheels spun on the wet grass until they augered into the mud. A local rancher came with his tractor and got everyone out, but they would have been stuck otherwise.

These 2 situations are worth considering when deciding to buy a 2WD. Towing in the snow on plowed roads is one thing, towing up a steep dirt road with loose gravel or in wet slimy mud is quite another. Of course, both of these situations are easily avoidable, but doing so may limit where you can go. Either way, I’d carry chains for sure, which is insurance if you do get stuck.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
If I was in the market for a new truck, I’d be looking hard at a new Ranger. One big reason I bought my 19 was that it could be safely towed with a SUV or mid sized pickup. Similar to many others, I just don’t want to drive a full size pickup.
I ordered an E19 for the same reason. It is the the largest trailer that I feel comfortable towing with a mid-size truck (a 2nd gen Tacoma in my case). I do not want to have to commit to a half-ton if it can be avoided.

If I had to buy a new TV today, I would give the Ranger serious consideration. From what I understand, the current Ranger platform was initially developed for markets outside of North America, where smaller trucks are utilized for tasks typically reserved for half-tons here...hence the higher-than-average payload ratings for it's class. I'm still a little skeptical of the 2.3 Ecoboost powertrain...but it seems to have a better reputation for reliability than other Ford turbo 4 cylinder engines. I wish is was offered with a manual transmission though. A friend routinely pulls his 4500ish lb 20' Jayco stick-built trailer (with a WD/sway control hitch) using a new Ranger in mountain territory without any issues.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 05:35 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 E19
In my neck of the woods you can't give away a 2WD truck. Anybody that happens to own one likely has it stored with their trailer for the winter.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:14 PM   #24

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
“I wish is was offered with a manual transmission though.”

The Ranger, F150, and GMC 1/2 ton truck variants all use the same transmission. So, no manual.
Old 03-31-2023, 09:34 PM   #25

Trailer: 2012 E19
I too prefer smaller vehicles (I'm towing with a 2008 Lexus GX470), so I can fully appreciate one's desire for a Ranger versus a F150. I just would rather have a 2.7L six under that hood instead of a 2.3L four. That said, the 2.3L ecoboost has almost the same HP and torque as my 4.7L V8, which is doing fine towing my Gen1 19.

I've appreciated having AWD on many occasions. It has let me tiptoe right through conditions that would've had me sitting still and spinning my wheels in 2WD.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:40 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21c
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
We have a 21C, but we are towing with a 2011 F150 XLT. It has a payload of 1363lb, all the other numbers seemed well within what we needed to tow safely, but on our first trip out, we stopped at a weigh station, and low and behold, we had exceeded that payload, just with the two of us (300lb) and the usual camping gear. It seems it is easy to tot up a lot of cargo, in our case we have a topper over the bed, but beyond that, not too much stuff really, nor too many fancy options in the truck, although it did have 4X4 and skid plates which adds weight. We shifted some heavier stuff to the trailer, and didn't have any problems, and the truck certainly was not struggling before we did that, however the brakes, suspension etc of the truck are designed for that maximum, so exceeding it is a matter of risk and maybe early wear of those components. That was quite an eye-opener. Of course we saw loads of smaller trucks than ours towing bigger trailers than ours, and likely their drivers said all was fine, but they are probably over their limits and therefore less safe than they could be, and possibly at some legal risk if they do have an accident. See what your Ranger's payload is, figure 15% of the trailer's max for hitch weight, then load up and find a scale. You might be surprised!
Actually the 2021 Ranger XLT with tow package is rated at 7500 lbs and has a 1565lb payload, more than the 150. Payload on the crewcab is slightly less than the extended cab model. It’s due to the lighter weight of the Ranger compared to the F150
Akfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 11:16 PM   #27

Payload on Ranger varies as it does for all trucks, F150 included. It can be much higher than 1565lbs depending on configuration and options. It can also be lower.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:07 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Saw one of these in El Paso. Should be able to tow well with a diesel. Must admit I didn't know a Volkswagen pickup ever existed aside from the quirky Rabbit pickup back in the 80's
Attached Thumbnails
a1HgkrfFRXqn%3re7i8t0Q.jpg   i3wBrdGlT7ymBuDGeAuJEQ.jpg  
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:10 PM   #29

Ford is doing it for VW based on the Australian Ranger design. Don’t really know anything about the VW variant.
Old 04-01-2023, 05:15 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Ford is doing it for VW based on the Australian Ranger design. Don’t really know anything about the VW variant.
I read that when I researched the truck. In person it looks like a Nissan Frontier (Nissan is big in Mexico and this had Chihuahua Mexico plates).
Old 04-01-2023, 05:17 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Saw one of these in El Paso. Should be able to tow well with a diesel. Must admit I didn't know a Volkswagen pickup ever existed aside from the quirky Rabbit pickup back in the 80's
Check out the license plate. Perhaps the truck was shipped into the states.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Check out the license plate. Perhaps the truck was shipped into the states.
Being pictured in El Paso it's most likely just visiting from Mexico where the VW Amarok is sold (among other markets).

We see 'em on occasion in the Austin area with Mexico tags, they've been around for years, but likely not destined for the US market.
Old 04-02-2023, 08:28 AM   #33

Off subject slightly.
I have yet to hook up my new Ranger to my E19. The Ranger seems to have a tall tailgate. Is there any issue with lowering the tailgate while connected to the trailer?
I see that clearance between the lowered tailgate and tongue jack is an issue with some truck/trailer combos.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:19 AM   #34

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Speaking of VW trucks, we spent six weeks in Mexico this winter in a small town and saw quite a few of these...
Attached Thumbnails
01F6A74C-02D6-4020-A7DA-10A706367318.jpg  
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:18 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Off subject slightly.
I have yet to hook up my new Ranger to my E19. The Ranger seems to have a tall tailgate. Is there any issue with lowering the tailgate while connected to the trailer?
I see that clearance between the lowered tailgate and tongue jack is an issue with some truck/trailer combos.

The tall tailgates on all newer trucks is a huge reason I'm staying with my 2nd gen PreRunner. My topper(11 yrs old & 2+K new, & been move from an older Taco) has side opening windows, & I can reach things inside from the ground & not have to climb inside. I don't know the reasoning the trucks all went to tall bed sides?
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 12:37 PM   #36

E19 Gen 2, ‘21 Ranger, manual jack, Equalizer hitch.

If the jack handle is up, it clears. If the handle is down between 2 and 10, it hits my tailgate.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:53 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
E19 Gen 2, ‘21 Ranger, manual jack, Equalizer hitch.

If the jack handle is up, it clears. If the handle is down between 2 and 10, it hits my tailgate.
I knew that you'd have the answer Randy!
Old 04-02-2023, 04:55 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
... I don't know the reasoning the trucks all went to tall bed sides?
Probably a variety of reasons like claiming high cargo volume capacity but mostly I suspect for marketing reasons because this is what most people want.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/how-did...rucks-get-big/

https://motorhills.com/why-are-picku...ommon-reasons/

I remember a few months ago, I parked my 2019 Nissan Frontier long bed next to a 69 Chevy C10 short bed. They almost identical in size.
Old 04-02-2023, 09:39 PM   #39

The bed height on my Ranger is higher than on my ‘98 3/4 ton.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:09 AM   #40

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I was at a friends standing by his 1984 F150 - 2WD - Std Cab - Long Bed - In-line 6. - 3 speed on the tree and the topic of conversation was how you can reach in the bed and grab something off the floor.

Plus, when you put down the tailgate you don’t have to jump up to sit down.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote