21NE black tank size increase - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2023, 10:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
But Airstream isn’t manufacturing the Nest anymore…maybe too many people complained about the combined black And grey waste design? ����
Nest - Just lousy manufacturing of a fiberglass shell and $$$............

FWIW - I had a combined black / gray 40ish gal. tank on my last trailer. Not sure if it had a separate gray tank to begin with... A 1964 27' Avion Travelcade redone by the Airstream guru in New Braunsfels, Tx (Eric Stolz - Texas Vintage Trailer - FANTASTIC work). I bought it from the folks that had it redone after it sat, not winterized, in a deep freeze in Colorado...blown out PEX all over...........

Never a problem with the single tank approach.

Edit - it did have an added tank flush setup.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSWI View Post
In theory I have no objection to combined tanks.

However, 3 issues on the 21NE give me pause. 1st the tank has a small discharge pipe. Clogs concern me. 2nd the drain pipe on the gray tank does not seem to drain from the very bottom of the tank, which combined with the sag and limited slope may make cleaning tough. 3rd, I have not been under the tanks far enough to determine if the shower drain has a trap or if it is just a straight shot into the gray tank. If no trap then the smell could be problematic.
Shower drain and bath sink share a trap on the 19, believe the 21NE is very similar.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:31 AM   #23

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
In theory I have no objection to combined tanks.

However, 3 issues on the 21NE give me pause. 1st the tank has a small discharge pipe. Clogs concern me. 2nd the drain pipe on the gray tank does not seem to drain from the very bottom of the tank, which combined with the sag and limited slope may make cleaning tough. 3rd, I have not been under the tanks far enough to determine if the shower drain has a trap or if it is just a straight shot into the gray tank. If no trap then the smell could be problematic.
1) I haven't had any clogs in either my black nor gray tank in 3 years of use.
2) No, the gray tank does not drain completely. I drive up on blocks on the passenger side to help drainage as much as possible.
3) Yes, there is a P-trap on the shower drain.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 5.0
Compost toilet
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 11:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Compost toilet
Here we go ....
Old 09-09-2023, 12:08 PM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm now starting to wonder if the size limitation to the black water has something to do with weight distribution while towing. The 19', 5.0TA and 21 NE all use the same bathroom, but the 5.0TA has a 30 gallon black water tank. I bet a bigger tank could be used and it could run under the drivers side dinette bench. No one said the color of the tank MUST be black either. Hummmm.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 07:06 PM   #27

Trailer: 2021Ne
I am not too familiar with composting toilets, but doesn’t the liquid portion need to be emptied quite often? In our case we tend to use the camper for four people to go #1 and not #2 unless it is an emergency. Would we need to empty the liquid portion daily or every other day? Or would we have a longer time between liquid dumping?

Thanks, I have very minimal composting knowledge.

Thanks

This was suppose to link to the composting toilet comment, but I clicked the wrong button.
KSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Yep... "here we go"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Compost toilet
But I second it, and stir the pot (which you actually do with a composing toilet.

4 people, 2 weeks, no water, empty with a trash bag.
JohnE3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Toilet liners

I read an article, maybe even here on this forum, that while camping in the winter people use a toilet liner. I guess you cannot poop in a tank or pee without having a freeze.

Although not very green, could solve the problem or at least retard it.

So if there’s only pee in the black tank, you can drain it off into a 2 1/2 gallon collapsible tote with a garden hose adapter cap on your discharge and a 3’ hose to dispose of when necessary.

An average pee is about 1 pint or (1/2 L) do the math.
Scotty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2023, 10:23 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021Ne
Quote:
The black tank on the 21NE is limiting for a family of 4 to stay more than a few days off grid without sewer. Currently, we use a portable sewer container, which works fine.

However, I would like to replace the blank tank with a larger one or potentially add a second blank tank under the trailer and connect it to the existing tank.

I have reached out to Escape to see if they are aware of any custom tanks or solutions. Currently waiting for a reply.

Has anyone found an option to increase black tank capacity on the 21NE?

Thanks
Thanks for all the input. This will be a winter project. I will update this thread as progress is made. Still hoping to get a reply from Escape as well.
KSWI is offline   Reply With Quote