Taking a high-mileage Tacoma to Alaska. Bad idea? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ah, a few things I might have a mechanic check out before such a trip...

1) when was the automatic transmission last flushed and new filters? or if its a manual, has the transmission oil ever been changed? if not, might be a good thing to do, will help the long term longetivity if nothing else.

2) differential(s), if its never been done, changing the differential gear oil at 200K+ miles is a good long term preventive thing.

3) inspect the timing chain and its tensioner and guides, if its still all in good shape, leave it alone, otherwise replace the timing chain(s), guides, and tensioner. again if this has already been done, you're undoubtably good to go, and a 1GR-FE engine /should/ go past 250K miles on its original chains and stuff, but if it breaks on the road, your whole engine can grenade.

4) check/inspect the driveshaft U joints, driveshaft center bearing(if any, I forget if a tacoma has one), and all the front suspension ball joints, tie rod ends, steering linkage, etc.

Looks like I'm in pretty good shape:

- The transmission fluid has been changed out twice and is not due for a third change for a while.

- The differential and transfer case fluid (it's a 4WD) have been changed out once, refilled with synthetic oil. It's due for another change, which will be done at the next service.

- A year ago I had the timing chain checked out. It's okay. I have the 1GR-FE 4L V6 engine; apparently it doesn't require the timing chain to be serviced, just inspected.

- The battery was replaced a few years ago and I will probably do it again before May.

- The belts and hoses were replaced a year ago, and the cooling system flushed. I also had a new water pump installed. I was preparing for an Alaska trip then, but that trip was curtailed due to the Virus.

- I'll have the other drivetrain stuff checked again before I leave. Thanks for the recommendations.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
My TV isn't high mileage but its a 2010 and my daily driver. Tires are the big one assuming a vehicle has been otherwise maintained. A few other basic service parts may be prudent such as a serpentine belt. I overpack, but I take hose repair parts and extra oil, brake, ps steering fluid etc. when the route goes where services are sparse. I probably take more parts/tools for basic RV repairs then needed too, but the one time I don't take them....

We've hauled around a tire plug kit and compressor for years and never needed it until last summer when we had two flats in as many days on the Taylor highway. That road eats worn tires due to all the sharp rocks north of Chicken. I knew better than let my tires go that long but was waiting for the "next" sale at Costco. We were over 100 miles from the nearest tire repair and probably half that to cell service.
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 Casita
We did the trip in 2018. Actually found the majority of all roads no worse than many in the lower 48. The Alcan itself was much better than we expected from reading all about it over two years. The major cities like Dawson Creek, Whitehorse, Anchorage, and Fairbanks have everything one will find in the lower U S. Don't sweat the small stuff. If your vehicle is reliable enough to drive to work each day, it's reliable enough for the journey. Enjoy it, a journey of a lifetime.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:26 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post

- The transmission fluid has been changed out twice and is not due for a third change for a while.

- The differential and transfer case fluid (it's a 4WD) have been changed out once, refilled with synthetic oil. It's due for another change, which will be done at the next service.

- A year ago I had the timing chain checked out. It's okay. I have the 1GR-FE 4L V6 engine; apparently it doesn't require the timing chain to be serviced, just inspected.

- The battery was replaced a few years ago and I will probably do it again before May.

- The belts and hoses were replaced a year ago, and the cooling system flushed. I also had a new water pump installed. I was preparing for an Alaska trip then, but that trip was curtailed due to the Virus.

- I'll have the other drivetrain stuff checked again before I leave. Thanks for the recommendations.
I was going to mention the water pump, looks like you are in good shape keeping in mind the former suggestions.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
I have a reservation at a campground in Denali NP for the week of June 13. Other than that I haven't planned anything. I'd like to make a detour to Skagway, as I used to know someone who is from there and I'm curious. Everything else is up for grabs.
I don’t think you would have any problems other tan a few areas of fresh chip sealing here and there. They keep most of the roads in good shape. There are some roads further north that can be in rough shape. Get a current Milepost magazine and enjoy the ride. I hope to be able to drive south from Skagway this spring, hopefully if people are vaccinated they can go trough Canada.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:17 PM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Well my 2008 Tacoma never missed a beat, I probably shouldn't have traded it. My friend from work has a 2005 Tacoma, 450,000 km's, never let him down. We're both waiting for the new Twin Turbo Tundra, it will be a beast.

Take it, just take your time on the climbs.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Quote:
I have a reservation at a campground in Denali NP for the week of June 13. Other than that I haven't planned anything. I'd like to make a detour to Skagway, as I used to know someone who is from there and I'm curious. Everything else is up for grabs.
The drive to Skagway is beautiful and I'd highly recommend riding the White Pass train from Carcross back to Skagway (you take a bus to Carcross from Skagway). I'll share a few photos from the train along Bennet lake and stopped at ghost town of Bennet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 (1).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	52766

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	52767
Attached Thumbnails
1 (2).jpg  
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:18 AM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Get a second opinion on hose replacement so young; independent 40 + year mechanic says those Toyota hoses are really good quality.
I agree. My Tercel went to the scrapyard due to body damage at only 351,000 km and 17 years... with all of the original hoses. Even the GM and Ford vehicles that I've had have ever had a hose failure.

I would never replace an OEM hose preemptively based on just age, only based on condition.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:41 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've had to replace the heater hoses on 25 year old Volvos that were way over 250,000 miles

my 25-30 year old mercedes E class haven't ever needed any hoses. my 1948 Ford 8N needed new radiator hoses last year, along with a new radiator, thermostat, and a bunch of electrical TLC. I doubt the hoses I replaced were original, but the thermostat might have been.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:29 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
The drive to Skagway is beautiful and I'd highly recommend riding the White Pass train from Carcross back to Skagway (you take a bus to Carcross from Skagway). I'll share a few photos from the train along Bennet lake and stopped at ghost town of Bennet.
Attachment 52766

Attachment 52767

Pretty church. Looks Nordic.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
My friend from work has a 2005 Tacoma, 450,000 km's, never let him down.
Take it, just take your time on the climbs.
I inherited my father's little 2005 Tacoma when he died in 2006. I drove it for several years. It was a four-cylinder, manual transmission and was a great daily driver, but useless for towing-- it wouldn't pull the hat off your head.

So I needed a tow vehicle when I bought my 2014 Escape. I did something I regret now: I traded in the 2005 Taco and got almost nothing for it when I bought the 2013. I didn't really consider keeping it because I couldn't justify in my mind having two trucks, and I was unsure if my finances in retirement would allow me to maintain two vehicles. If I had it to do over, I think I would have kept the older Tacoma as a daily driver and bought a Tundra for towing. Duh.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:

With my Yukon I followed the Severe Driving Maintenance Schedule as we towed 75% of the time. That meant trans fluid change every 45K miles vs. 90K. With 225K miles estimated by the time you leave you may want to get that done before the trip.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:40 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hi Mike,
Like you have mentioned, I'd put a new set of tires on my rig. Don't forget the spare. Additionally, Id think about new shocks ..... many of the roads have some pretty interesting frost heaves and depending on government road budgets pot holes too. I have done the drive from Skagway to Seattle many times and I like the comfort of packing a 5 gallon jerry jug of gas .... driving in the shoulder seasons ... make it two five gallons. Should you decide to go for a swim in the Artic Ocean bring a second spare ... otherwise ones enough. Check your tire jack and bring a 12 volt compressor just in case.

Bring lots of road snacks and be ready to talk to strangers. Alaskans tend to be friendly and fellow travelers want to know everything. Careful of Canadians .... they know how to have a party and you'll make lifelong friends. Bring picture postcards of your home grounds to explain what Florida is like and collect more on your trip. They are nice for campfire discussions and descriptions. The photography might be painful for a photographer like you but great conversation starters.

You will see lots of roadside wildlife. Avoid driving at night (hard to do in the summer - no night) but if returning in the fall, there can be lots of not very smart fawns on the road. Watch for broken glass along pull outs.

You'll have a GREAT time! Hopefully the border will be open.

Tom
Old 12-23-2020, 02:15 PM   #34
Red

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape
My TV is a 2007 Tacoma with 100K miles and like you am retired with no immediate plan to replace it. No show stopper issues under all conditions so far. I am very careful with servicing fluids and am particular about brake and tire wear. I think you have covered all concerns so just be careful. The further north you travel the service opportunities are more spaced out so be very careful with road conditions.

The current situation at the border is a concern. The Canadian border is closed to Americans unless you are travelling directly to Alaska and it will take several days of driving to cover the approximate 2000 miles through Canada. |You can stop but can not visit and are under very controlled access to services. Here is a link to an interesting and informative news report.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/can...rcmp-1.5748611

I doubt that Canada will lift the travel ban by May as the infection rate in the US remains high. Canada wants you to stop on your way to Alaska and visit our country but just not now.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #35

Trailer: 2012 E19
My '86 Dodge D150 pickup had a knack for blowing radiator hoses. And I only owned it until '98.

One time it blew a hose in the middle of northern Iowa farm country. But I caught it fast, before it could pump too much out (the steam pouring out made it oh-so-easy to guess what had happened). I let it cool and walked to a nearby farmhouse for some extra water, then sawed the bad end off the hose with a knife and clamped it back on. I added water, and drove it the rest of the way to OK without incident where all the old hoses got replaced forthwith.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:52 PM   #36

Decades ago belts and hoses were recommended to be changed out every four years or so. I guess they don't do that any more-- my auto shop said they inspect the hoses but don't change them unless they fail inspection. Last year when I changed my coolant I was told the hoses needed to be replaced as well. The Tacoma had 194,000 miles on it then.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:41 PM   #37

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Sounds like you have all the maintenance issues covered already. 4 years ago we drove to Alaska in our then 12 year old 2004 Dodge Dakota.
The truck did well, the only issue we had was that we picked up a rock on a gravel road that cut the sidewall, so nobody would attempt to repair the slow leak. We used our spare and made it to Whitehorse on the way home, but neither the WalMart nor Canadian Tire had our size in stock (245/70-16) since it seems all the newer trucks are getting bigger tires.
We ended up driving all the way back to Great Falls, MT where we pre-ordered a tire and it got there about the same time we did (they didn't have it in stock either)
I would recommend carrying an extra spare tire unmounted so that you at least have an extra tire if you need to use your spare on the trip (or save one of your old ones if you get a new set).
Old 12-23-2020, 11:45 PM   #38

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I almost forgot the most important thing. Get zero deductible compressive insurance before you go. The difference between zero and $250 deductible is only like 8 or 10 dollars every six months. The reason is that the chance of getting a rock chip in your windshield is way higher on the Alaskan highway than in Florida. The big trucks on the Alaskan highway don’t slow down on chip sealed roads. Also Murphy’s law says that if you have zero deductible you will not get a rock chip.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 05:37 AM   #39

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
KO2 Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
hmm, mine had 265/70R16 ... but it was a TRD Off Road.

I put BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2's on mine, freekin' awesome all terrain tire with great road traction, wet or dry, and surprisingly quiet and smooth for an A/T tire. Long life on a Tacoma too, at 20K miles, they still had 75-80% tread. They had enough traction on mud and grass and such that I hardly ever had to use 4x4.
Put these on my Tundra. I agree you get amazing performance and durability with them.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:42 AM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Drive shaft on 2013 tacoma has 3 grease fittings. grease them. Try not to carry excessive weight- you're reaching your limit, especially thru mountains. May not apply but some travel with frig running on gas. be careful of taxing your alternator.
jontom is offline   Reply With Quote