Coleman Vs Dometic AC - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2021, 07:44 PM   #41

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Realistically, on these little Escape trailers that are essentially just one room, I can't see much advantage in wired thermostats or remote controls that I can lose. Just give me some simple knobs on the AC unit itself. I can't lose it, and everything in the trailer should all be one temperature anyway.

I'm still a little conflicted what I want to do for AC myself. Part of me just says to get the quieter Coleman on the roof and just not think about it. I'm not very sensitive to white noise so long as it isn't crazy loud.

But then most of the time I'm boondocking. There are only a few trips here and there where AC would be better than two fans. I wonder if it wouldn't make sense to get a $500 portable AC unit for those times, and actually just have the trailer without an installed AC.

One advantage of the wired thermostat is it controls both heat and air condition . I know the Dometic Is loud. I was suppressed how load it is. I only used it once just to see if it worked. If you elect not get air the 120 volt wire will be run up there and hidden just beside the vent. Air could be added later.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If you elect not get air the wire will be run up there and hidden just beside the vent. Air could be added later.
Just to clarify since we are talking about thermostats...A/C ready was traditionally just the 120V AC power wire but not any controls wiring. Is this your understanding or has this changed?
Old 02-05-2021, 09:24 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just to clarify since we are talking about thermostats...A/C ready was traditionally just the 120V AC power wire but not any controls wiring. Is this your understanding or has this changed?

No I mean Just the 120 volt line would be up there by the vent. I went back and edited to be more clear. I believe its the same with no control wiring.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:05 AM   #44

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #45

the unit color would be a personal choice. I am not a fan of the black. The Dometic in the video seems quieter than the one in my trailer. Hmmm I might have to check into this.
Old 02-11-2021, 12:30 PM   #46

Quote:
the unit color would be a personal choice. I am not a fan of the black. The Dometic in the video seems quieter than the one in my trailer. Hmmm I might have to check into this.
It is nice that Escape is trying to provide information to owners on the A/C choices. I think the Dometic sounds quieter in the video compared to yours because when Karl places the microphone at the front and the back of the trailer he was standing between the A/C and the mic. This absorbs/blocks some of the sound. The Coleman definitely seems quieter and really didn't sound too offensive on low. It looked to me that the Dometic internal distribution unit is deeper than the Coleman so you have less clearance. Note how Karl was standing. Tall people might want to consider that as well.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:50 PM   #47

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Their mic appeared to be highly directional as can be seen (heard) when both Karl and Samuel are discussing the units outside of the trailers. It's nice that they made the attempt, but I would take the video for its info value only based on the commentary instead of the sound levels. Karl states that the Coleman is quieter due to what he thinks is an air velocity difference.

I am one that sleeps with a white noise machine, but I like to not have to deal with the noise during the day when I am trying to communicate with the family. I would lean towards the Coleman based on the sound at this point, but my decision is several months off.
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:02 PM   #48

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
I've noticed that thru out this forum the people who complain about the noise are in the northern climates. If you were in Texas in April thru October and occasionally other times you would welcome the noise to stay comfortable. Some of these options are relative to the area you are camping. We ordered the Coleman in our 5.0 for the BTUs not the noise.

Jimmy
uthorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021
Any chance of taking shroud off and hitting it with a airless sprayer ?
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
There are a few of us who will sweat some days rather than listen to the noise of a Dometic in a small trailer. Other days I give in, but don’t like it. I spent the first 25 years of my life in Texas, so I do realize the combination of heat and humidity in question. My plan is still the Coleman on low to help with the short cycling. While Coleman is far from perfect, it has a longer history for parts in the USA than Houghton / RecPro.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:54 PM   #51

Trailer: 2021
Did you roast those seeds behind you before eating ? Sorry couldn't help myself .
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:25 PM   #52

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I just watched the video. My concern more that the color now is getting a manual thermostat if I order the Coleman. I prefer the low noise and the soft start. In our Casita with a manual Thermostat you are either cold or blown away by the heat, no in-between. I just left a voice mail with Linda , voiced my concern and asked if there was any way to have both the Coleman and the Digital. I mentioned I didn't care if the Digital did not operate the Air Conditioner.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:09 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
I just watched the video. My concern more that the color now is getting a manual thermostat if I order the Coleman. I prefer the low noise and the soft start. In our Casita with a manual Thermostat you are either cold or blown away by the heat, no in-between. I just left a voice mail with Linda , voiced my concern and asked if there was any way to have both the Coleman and the Digital. I mentioned I didn't care if the Digital did not operate the Air Conditioner.
Don’t sweat it. It’s any easy swap from mechanical furnace thermostat to a non-programmable digital. Many of us have done it and can guide you.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Don’t sweat it. It’s any easy swap from mechanical furnace thermostat to a non-programmable digital. Many of us have done it and can guide you.
Thanks Dave, that good to know.
Jim A
Old 02-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #55

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:

Even I was capable, and it still works.
Attached Thumbnails
Therm1.jpg   Therm2.jpg   Thermostat inside.jpg  
Old 02-11-2021, 10:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks Dave, that good to know.
Jim A
I have used this one in the past. Note this is just a two-wire setup and the fan auto/on functionality doesn’t work and doesn’t need to with these simple furnaces.
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Lux-PSD0...yABEgLl3PD_BwE
Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 PM   #57

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
This is the link to 9.5K Houghton AC.

https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/

Could someone please clarify what non-ducted means, and whether it has a bearing on its fitness in the context of Escape 5? Many thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 12:03 AM   #58

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Could someone please clarify what non-ducted means, and whether it has a bearing on its fitness in the context of Escape 5? Many thanks!
Non-ducted means that the air is blown out of an air-handler (grille-assembly) in the ceiling of the RV directly under the roof-mounted AC unit. That's what you want for any Escape trailer roof-mounted replacement or addition.

A "ducted" unit is designed to discharge air from the roof-mounted AC into a system of ducts installed in the RV and routed to registers (grilles) in various locations or rooms in the RV - not what we have in any Escape trailer (to date).

Aside, the 'mini-split' units installed by a few folks here are also considered "Non-ducted" - they discharge the air directly from a single grille on the inside air-handler unit, it just doesn't happen to be mounted in the ceiling. Mini-splits can also be had which are designed for "ducted" air distribution, but again, not suitable for our Escape Trailers which lack the system of ducts (absent a lot of additional modification).

Hope that helps.
Old 02-12-2021, 06:58 AM   #59

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thanks a lot, Alan! I appreciate it. Happy that this would fit perfectly!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:36 PM   #60

Thanks Glenn and Dave. The Honeywell RTH5100B has been replaced by RTH510D1003.
There are obviously accommodations for many wires but I imagine you only need 2. The
LuxPro Digital 2 Wire Heat Only Model I guess will work as well. I imagine that both Escape and Casita only use 2 wires. The Casita is under cover at the moment. As soon as I get a chance I'll remove the cover and check it out. I'll probably replace the Casita's manual Thermostat so that when I sell it it works better for the new owner.
I think I'll need the Honeywell in the the Casita as it is installed horizontally.

Thanks Jim A