Coleman Vs Dometic AC - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #61

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks Glenn and Dave. The Honeywell RTH5100B has been replaced by RTH510D1003.
There are obviously accommodations for many wires but I imagine you only need 2. The
LuxPro Digital 2 Wire Heat Only Model I guess will work as well. I imagine that both Escape and Casita only use 2 wires. The Casita is under cover at the moment. As soon as I get a chance I'll remove the cover and check it out. I'll probably replace the Casita's manual Thermostat so that when I sell it it works better for the new owner.
I think I'll need the Honeywell in the the Casita as it is installed horizontally.
Jim: Correct - 2 wires. It’s a simple make/break of the circuit. Should just be +12V on “R” and the other wire on “W”. See this thread for some tips: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post288135
Attached Thumbnails
4EF7EBE9-6FF4-4936-9AB1-D68B867D2190.jpg  
Old 03-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #62

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Now that I many have to go with the ETI installed Dometic A/C does anyone know the current model? I searched Dometic's site and my best guess is the it is the Penguin II but I'm not sure if it is the Low Profile or High Efficiency model. Either way I am unable to get any specification online.
When I had the Casita I installed a MicroAir Easy Start to be able to operate it with a Honda 2000ei. Has anyone done that? I imagine it would void the warranty. I might have to wait a year or two.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:05 PM   #63

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Now that I many have to go with the ETI installed Dometic A/C does anyone know the current model? I searched Dometic's site and my best guess is the it is the Penguin II but I'm not sure if it is the Low Profile or High Efficiency model. Either way I am unable to get any specification online.
When I had the Casita I installed a MicroAir Easy Start to be able to operate it with a Honda 2000ei. Has anyone done that? I imagine it would void the warranty. I might have to wait a year or two.

I believe this is the current model. https://www.dometic.com/en-us/climat...nguin-ii-20692

Mine will run off the 2000I . some have added the Micro start( Dometic says the easy start is not designed for it). This is probably just because they don't sell it. I don't have it installed and mine runs fine. I just start the fan let it run a few minuets and then set the temp so both the fan and compresses do not kick in at the same time.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 10:03 PM   #64

Trailer: 2021 17B
The Dometic Freshjet looks interesting.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:26 AM   #65

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I believe this is the current model. https://www.dometic.com/en-us/climat...nguin-ii-20692

Mine will run off the 2000I . some have added the Micro start( Dometic says the easy start is not designed for it). This is probably just because they don't sell it. I don't have it installed and mine runs fine. I just start the fan let it run a few minuets and then set the temp so both the fan and compresses do not kick in at the same time.
The experience of many Escape owners, according to many threads and posts, is that the 11,000 BTU Dometic Penguin may run on a 2,000 watt generator at low elevations, it will not do so at higher elevations, but will do so with the Micro Start. And many have installed the Micro Start (including me), and they work with the Dometic.
Old 05-05-2022, 03:43 PM   #66

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
It's been over 1 year since someone commented on the differences between these two models.

Does anyone have any new revelations one year on?
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:39 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape 21NE
@GregColdewey
Quote:
1. we live in Texas and like it cold to sleep, so I want all the BTU's I can get.
2. I've had Colemans in the past that worked for years with no issues.
3. This is the big one...they offer the Coleman with a Soft Start so I can run the AC off of a relatively small generator.
I think you'll be happy with the Coleman,
We RV/Camp regularly in the southern states from AZ to FL, so air conditioning is critical.
The Coleman is quieter, the vents are more manageable. We added the heat capability and had to use it a few times when out gas Furnace was down.
The phone APP is really nice for control.

Sorry for the dated info.
BillMcgTenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:45 AM   #68

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Coleman on low is almost as quiet as Houghton, and is about the same BTU. Coleman heat strip keeps trailer wam into the teens F. It’s pretty tall on the roof if height is an issue for you. I am very happy with the Coleman after about 120 nights. I have used heat on most of them and AC only a few times, but the noise level compared to Dometic is great when we do use it.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:49 AM   #69

Trailer: 2023 E19
I am leaning towards the Coleman option for my build....primarily due to the reduced interior noise.

It also looks like the the interior plenum on the Coleman unit does not protrude downward from the ceiling quite as far when compared to the Dometic. I should ask Escape if there is a significant difference.

I'm just over 6'2" tall and know that I will have duck to clear the the Dometic in an E19. It would be a nice bonus if the Coleman option offered a little extra headroom.....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:12 PM   #70

Trailer: 2024 21C ---------- 2023 Toyota Tundra Platinum
Coleman/Soft Start

Does anyone know if the new Coleman with soft start will run with a Honda 2200 generator?
scottarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:21 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Coleman on low is almost as quiet as Houghton, and is about the same BTU. Coleman heat strip keeps trailer wam into the teens F. It’s pretty tall on the roof if height is an issue for you. I am very happy with the Coleman after about 120 nights. I have used heat on most of them and AC only a few times, but the noise level compared to Dometic is great when we do use it.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:22 PM   #72

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’ve run it on my 2002 Honda EU2000, but haven’t been at elevations over 1000 ft where I needed it yet.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:50 PM   #73

Generally speaking, an engine loses three percent of its rated power for every 1,000 feet of altitude gained.