Ouch! $1000 increase in delivery costs - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:04 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Now that I have calmed down... I'll probably pay up, shut up and hook up..lol.. In the big scheme of things, not worth losing sleep over.. Oh well
+1

These days, I'm just glad I can lock in a delivery price rather quickly..

Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
So, does anyone have any advice on whether we should attempt towing from Sumas, or should we stick with Bozeman?

Thanks.
Highways are engineered to drive on. You should have no problem towing from Sumas.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
..............7% increase, that's what inflation is running right now.

"Officially"...................Ha!
Old 01-26-2022, 10:13 PM   #24

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Highways are engineered to drive on. You should have no problem towing from Sumas.
LOL. What are the grades like out that way, though - from the perspective of someone who has just hitched a trailer for the first time, and might be nervous enough on a nicely engineered flat highway?
Old 01-26-2022, 11:28 PM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Our plan has been for receiving delivery in Bozeman to save the 800 miles/13 hours of travel each way between there and Sumas. We also chose Bozeman to avoid steep grades we fear we’d be towing through from Sumas heading back to the Midwest.

Upon seeing the new delivery prices, however, we’re now considering a Sumas pickup. With that in mind, is the route from Sumas heading back east too much for newbies? We don’t have a tow vehicle yet, but we’re shopping for a new F-150 so we should have plenty of towing capability. What we don’t have is any experience - at all.

So, does anyone have any advice on whether we should attempt towing from Sumas, or should we stick with Bozeman?

Thanks.
Seems like most people engaging deliveries do so as they don't have the time to pick up the trailer in Sumas. If that is not a problem then know this: the Escape trailer is one of the easiest trailers to tow. We started with a used 17B we picked up 1000 miles from home and had no issues. The 21 being a tandem axle that we also own now is even better.

So if you have the time go for it! You could practice some with a utility trailer from a rental yard, yet remember- " If they can do it, you can too!".
Old 01-26-2022, 11:34 PM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Better to be somewhat nervous than arrogantly oblivious.

Anticipate.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:42 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
So if you have the time go for it! You could practice some with a utility trailer from a rental yard, yet remember- " If they can do it, you can too!".
Thank you for the encouraging words, Rossue. We sure appreciate it.

We were already planning a two week vacation to Bozeman for the delivery along with stays at Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP. We might still try to do that with a few extra days for the run to Sumas, or we could pivot to pick up in Sumas and visit the North Cascades NP instead. Decisions, decisions.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:44 PM   #28

Quote:

Anticipate.
That’s very good advice. Thank you.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:07 AM   #29

Trailer: cancelled
Don't know if it helps, YakRV, but my very first towing experience was towing two horses from Wyoming to Pennsylvania. Spent 10 minutes driving around a mostly empty parking lot getting used to how the trailer pulled and then hit the road for 1800 miles of mostly interstate driving.

Echoing gbaglo's advice, I was (more than) somewhat nervous and anticipated as much as possible. Didn't have any issues during the trip.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:42 AM   #30

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Even before this increase we have been deciding whether to have our Escape delivered to Denver or make an adventure out of it and pick it up in Sumas (34 hour drive).

In either case we get to spend some time with our granddaughter in Cheyenne.

Since our Escape has a late October completion date I have been looking at average temps across this route. From Cheyenne it takes us through Bozeman, MT on the northern route and Salt Lake City, UT on the southern route.

My guess is the southern route is best for weather.

What do you think?
Old 01-27-2022, 07:30 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Personally, I still don’t mind the thought of a tent.
That’s what we did on the way to Tucson to get our first Escape. Then we camped our way back home. A couple weeks later I drove about 150 miles to a rendezvous. Stayed in my Eureka Timberline again, with a perfectly good Escape at home. Probably crazy but I like tents. There are lots of state parks with reasonably priced cabins in campgrounds too. Jar of jelly, jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread and I’m 18 again. Hotels and restaurants meals have no attraction for me when I’m trying to make a lot of miles. Good luck to all with the challenges of picking up a new trailer. It will soon all be behind you.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... You are just two intents!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 01-27-2022, 10:47 AM   #32

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
Quote:

Anticipate.
If you follow this advice, you'll be fine! We were first-time owners and drove through the Canadian Rockies from Chilliwack to Calgary with no problems. Find some good how-to's on YouTube to study, and just take it as slow as you need to feel comfortable on the road.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:42 AM   #33

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Exclamation Escape profit centers

It's quite normal for companies that do a lot of shipping. Especially companies that have deals with shippers. To hide in the shipping costs a bump to add to their profit margins. This is the normal process of business that I have been involved with for a number of years, when I was employed not retired. I assumed that escape considering there a corporate entity now would have added in a little bump to increase their bottom line. If they haven't maybe there is hope for humanity.
Old 01-27-2022, 12:04 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
Our plan has been for receiving delivery in Bozeman to save the 800 miles/13 hours of travel each way between there and Sumas. We also chose Bozeman to avoid steep grades we fear we’d be towing through from Sumas heading back to the Midwest.

Upon seeing the new delivery prices, however, we’re now considering a Sumas pickup. With that in mind, is the route from Sumas heading back east too much for newbies? We don’t have a tow vehicle yet, but we’re shopping for a new F-150 so we should have plenty of towing capability. What we don’t have is any experience - at all.

Thanks.
We picked up in Sumas last year. There is no steep grade problem, unless your tow vehicle is inadequate. Take it easy and don't try to do too much after the pickup. We drove about 70 miles, and you can do less if you stay closer. Unless time is a problem, I'd highly recommend a pickup in Sumas. Yes, it may get you out of your comfort zone a bit but that's completely normal. But, you have to do the initial nervous miles - regardless of where you start. And, there is progress. By the time we got home, we had progressed from very green and very nervous to merely green and nervous...
Old 01-27-2022, 12:43 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
Argh, perfect timing. I'm about a month away from signing off on the build sheet, and just got the email that delivery prices are going up.

For eastern US delivery, the price has gone up $1000!

I guess it's not surprising, given current inflation and labor issues, but a hard pill to swallow nonetheless. Unlike money going into the trailer itself, delivery costs feel like money that's just being thrown away.
Hi: hugh... This is just a 1,000 more reasons to take a holiday and pick up the trailer at ETI or close by. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 01-27-2022, 12:45 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
...and learning the ropes out West with more open space has to be easier than east of MS. River I would think.

Picking up in Sumas and doing the Cascades Highway i(WA 20) is awesome.
Old 01-27-2022, 01:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
So, anyone heading out to Sumas with a big truck feeling like picking up a few extra trailers to drop off along the way back?

The trailers have a hitch receiver, right?

Attached Thumbnails
escape-trailer-caravan.jpg  
Old 01-27-2022, 03:45 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21 NE
It's a time vs. money equation. We live in Texas, but picked up the trailer in Salt Lake City...saved about $1000 on delivery and really enjoyed getting to know the trailer on the way home. One of our best trips so far through southern Utah, Arizona and New Mexico. If you have the time, would definately pick it up somewhere closer and enjoy the trip. Now that I think about it, probably spent the $1000 on the trip, but had a heck of a good time.
Old 01-27-2022, 03:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimj View Post
Don't know if it helps, YakRV, but my very first towing experience was towing two horses from Wyoming to Pennsylvania. Spent 10 minutes driving around a mostly empty parking lot getting used to how the trailer pulled and then hit the road for 1800 miles of mostly interstate driving.

Echoing gbaglo's advice, I was (more than) somewhat nervous and anticipated as much as possible. Didn't have any issues during the trip.
Thank you, Reimj, sounds like quite the undertaking. Appreciate the help.
Old 01-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwhale View Post
If you follow this advice, you'll be fine! We were first-time owners and drove through the Canadian Rockies from Chilliwack to Calgary with no problems. Find some good how-to's on YouTube to study, and just take it as slow as you need to feel comfortable on the road.
Thank you, jediwhale. Good to hear you had a good trip that first tow. Yes, slow and careful is the way.
Closed Thread