Pumping gas in Oregon - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2023, 10:09 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Pumping gas in Oregon

Wahoo, I can now hop out of my truck and start pumping my own gas. I can't count how many times over the years that I've forgotten that I wasn't allowed to pump my own gas in Oregon. Been doing it all my driving life and it was an ingrained habit.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:28 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm just happy half the pumps are for an attendant to pump and the price is the same. Doubtful you've ever bought as much fuel in Oregon as I have over the past 50+ years Ron. I prefer my hands to stay clean and not have fuel dribbled all over my shoes. Yeah, had enough of that when I was forced to pump fuel in Canada and all over the USA.

I always laughed when it seemed to be people who don't live in Oregon who were the most put out about Oregon's law. Come to Oregon, become a voter here, then you have earned the right to bitc... complain.

Voters choose to have attendants pump our fuel more than 70 years ago. The recent change didn't come from the voters, but a select few representatives who ran it through the Oregon House back in March. Too bad, I bet the voters would have voted it down.

I've been reading people complaining about Wal-Marts (and other stores) self-check out lines because the buyers aren't employees and self-check outs take away paying jobs. Guess none of that happens at fuel stations....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I prefer my hands to stay clean and not have fuel dribbled all over my shoes. Yeah, had enough of that when I was forced to pump fuel in Canada and all over the USA.
I've got no dog in the hunt and could care less insofar as Oregon rules, but gotta say that dirty hands and dribbled fuel sounds like a lack of skills and/or lack of patience problem.

Pump handles aren't sanitized after each use, but in 99.99+% of my experience they're no 'dirtier' than the door handles of any storefront. Dribbles are easily avoided with a moment's pause and proper manipulation of the spout - both which become subconscious motor skills for folks who regularly dispense their own fuel.

All that notwithstanding, I'm happy for you that you'll still be able to enjoy the service you prefer in Oregon while others can exercise the self-serve option if they choose.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Saw in the news this morning that people were leaving Portland just as they were leaving San Francisco and other hi crime areas. News is usually worse than the actual problem but it's still a damn shame.

Portland has always been one of my favorite cities. Spent a few days there when I picked up my Trailer in 2019. I didn't go downtown but didn't see anything disturbing where I was.

Things change!

Edit: I did it again. This post got zilch to do with pumping fuel.
Old 08-06-2023, 12:27 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
I've got no dog in the hunt and could care less insofar as Oregon rules, but gotta say that dirty hands and dribbled fuel sounds like a lack of skills and/or lack of patience problem.

Pump handles aren't sanitized after each use, but in 99.99+% of my experience they're no 'dirtier' than the door handles of any storefront. Dribbles are easily avoided with a moment's pause and proper manipulation of the spout - both which become subconscious motor skills for folks who regularly dispense their own fuel.

All that notwithstanding, I'm happy for you that you'll still be able to enjoy the service you prefer in Oregon while others can exercise the self-serve option if they choose.
Not on my part. It was fuel left in the nozzle that dribbled on my shoes when I tipped it down to put it in the tank. Third time was a charm to go at it at an angle, but my shoes stunk like gas for a while. UGH.

Why don't people wash their hands really well after working on their motor vehicle or lawn mower? Seems I followed those folks at the pumps. I needed to degrease my hands afterwards. Don't remember needing to do that after going grocery shopping...

Okay all you out-of-staters you can be as happy as you wish. Now you can go pick on New Jersey....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
I always laughed when it seemed to be people who don't live in Oregon who were the most put out about Oregon's law. Come to Oregon, become a voter here, then you have earned the right to bitc... complain.
C’mon Donna. You know everyone complains about something, often many things. From what I’ve read, some Oregonians are “complaining” they don’t want to be Oregonians and want to go over to Idaho.

Even if it were only a handful of legislators who pushed it through, it was the right thing to do. You can PUMP IT YOURSELF if you so desire, or HAVE IT PUMPED at the same price if that is what you choose. Honestly, I’m happy that you still don’t have to deal with gasoline drips, etc. Maybe Oregon’s new rules should be adopted by other jurisdictions as well. I have pumped my own gas all my life except when passing through New Jersey, and that stopped after I had my “incident.” The last time I was going into Oregon, I filled up before crossing the State lines for reasons I have previously related. As a result, Oregon collected no gas taxes from me and I would guess the State has lost revenue from others for the same reason. I just like having the option to do as I please when we are talking about something as mundane as dispensing fuel.
I have never complained about pumping my own gas. I prefer to do it myself.
Old 08-06-2023, 02:52 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Well, it's not my state and not my taxes. When we passed through last year, I couldn't help but think it was a waste of taxes or revenue or both to have folks hang out and pump gas. Hopefully they did something else while there was no gas to be pumped, but from what I could see, they just stood around and chewed the fat. At least they could have cleaned windshields. Sage liked it because she got a cookie every time we stopped for gas.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I'm just happy half the pumps are for an attendant to pump and the price is the same. Doubtful you've ever bought as much fuel in Oregon as I have over the past 50+ years Ron. I prefer my hands to stay clean and not have fuel dribbled all over my shoes. Yeah, had enough of that when I was forced to pump fuel in Canada and all over the USA.

Voters choose to have attendants pump our fuel more than 70 years ago. The recent change didn't come from the voters, but a select few representatives who ran it through the Oregon House back in March. Too bad, I bet the voters would have voted it down.

I've been reading people complaining about Wal-Marts (and other stores) self-check out lines because the buyers aren't employees and self-check outs take away paying jobs. Guess none of that happens at fuel stations....
Carry a box of disposable gloves, as far as making any kind of mess, you will get the hang of it.
Don’t worry about the voters, once they get a taste of freedom they won’t look back. It’s unimaginable for most people to be inconvenienced and held up waiting for someone put gas in your vehicle.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 04:36 PM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I only had the experience of someone pumping my gas just one time in New Jersey. It was really cold outside and snowing. It was awesome as I stayed nice and warm inside my rental car. He even cleaned my windshield!

Had I known and needed gas on our return from Sumas as we passed through Oregon it would have been my second time.

I really know nothing about the process but it was memorable.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
... Voters choose [sic] to have attendants pump our fuel more than 70 years ago. The recent change didn't come from the voters, but a select few representatives who ran it through the Oregon House back in March. Too bad, I bet the voters would have voted it down.....
Well, the new rule seems to set-up an excellent real-world poll, given the requirement for both full & self-serve with no price difference.

If a majority of Oregon's drivers don't migrate to those self-service pumps, then your chagrin will be vindicated, eh? And if they do, the real 'voters' will have spoken by their actions, eh?

We all know that some interest group will be tracking, compiling, and publishing that data.

I've still got no dog in this hunt, and I'm certainly not 'picking on Oregon' (or NJ), but as a casual observer from afar I do find opposition to the ability to choose as apparently structured in this new Oregon rule rather, ahem, 'interesting'.

Old 08-06-2023, 10:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
What I find interesting is the variety of comments over something that was essentially a news item of interest to folks gassing up in Oregon.

Aside for the fact that given a choice I'm happy to gas up my own vehicle the two effects of the previous situation were: forgetting that I'm in Oregon and hopping out and going for the gas pump and getting "the look". But we've also had some negative experiences like a large very busy station with minimum staff. A wait for them to come and start the gas, putting the flow on slow and going away and a couple of times long after the tank was full coming back. One time I tracked the person down and asked if it was OK for me to take the nozzle out.

So, for those that want full-serve, no change and for others like me

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
Quote:

I was once accosted in Arizona by an irate Casita owner about not being able to pump his own gas in Oregon and that was my reply. It provides jobs for a whole variety of people. Immigrants, people trying to get their lives back in order, those needing some extra part time work. I am sorry to see it go especially now that my husband and I are in our 80s. In places like Tillamook County they will not have to have manned pumps at all.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 02:47 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
I was once accosted in Arizona by an irate Casita owner about not being able to pump his own gas in Oregon and that was my reply. It provides jobs for a whole variety of people. Immigrants, people trying to get their lives back in order, those needing some extra part time work. I am sorry to see it go especially now that my husband and I are in our 80s. In places like Tillamook County they will not have to have manned pumps at all.
I remember working for a bit in the UK 30 ears ago all trains had at least 2 conductors when 1 would suffice. I think it was a government move to get closer to full employment. OTOH Warren Buffet wants to limit freight trains to just an engineer on BNSF and no one else on board, a scary move at best with all the train mishaps of late.
Old 08-16-2023, 07:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beekeeper View Post
Here no one pumps your gas for you, or most anywhere else. Stores have been open on Sundays, self checkout is the norm. Sounds like where you’re from has a bit of catching up to do. Changes always have the good and the bad, but I’ve sure learned you can’t stop change.

This is a way slow time for the pumps, when the Amazon drivers are beginning and ending their shifts it’s a circus.

Big thing here and many other cities is while at the pump to keep your keys on you when filling up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0775.jpg (214.5 KB, 5 views)
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Not many cities in the United States are experiencing a decrease in crime. There is annoying crime (Like vandalism, some forms of theft, etc) but overall crime is a nasty fact of life (all the way up to a threat to life).

Since you have to live somewhere, some Americans attempt to avoid areas of the city they live in, some move to lower crime (statistically rated) areas and still others change their lifestyle and protect their property with detection, security, etc. That’s the way it is.

We live “in the country” there’s still theft, drug dealing and manufacturing, and occasional violent crime. Having someone steal a tractor, rustle some fat cattle, remove a half a dozen walnut tree at night from a rural property, happens more than you’d like to believe. Good insurance is a necessary evil and while not a complete solution, hopefully there when you need it in property “protection” cases.

Personal protection is a hot-button issue wherever I go.
No reason to get into that here.

Having someone pump my fuel when that was the way of life till I was about 25 or 30 was convenient at times. But somewhere back there it changed to self service, I can’t remember when for sure, is the least of my worries.
The price and quality are a bigger concern when it comes to filling the tank.
YMMV
Iowa Dave
Old 08-06-2023, 06:07 PM   #16

Vacations come with memories. On a western trip my family spent several days in Oregon. The kids had never seen gas pumped by someone other than their dad. They were at the age where they thought there was humor in giving random people names or titles. So we stopped for gas and a fellow came out and I told him fill it up, regular.

He started the pump and went to the water bucket for the windshield scrubber/ squeegee. That’s when I noticed he had a prosthetic forearm and a double hook where his hand had been. He was a rough looking character but without any expression he put the wooden shaft of the squeegee between the hooks and somehow released the spring loaded latch that closed the hooks with a strong snap onto the chewed up handle. The kids eyes were about silver dollar sized as he scrubbed the bugs off and dried the glass.

We settled up, I thanked him and gave him a dollar for a tip. He smiled and thanked me. Back in the car my young son observed “ I never thought Captain Hook would be washing our windshield. My son is forty now and whenever the kids are sharing memories of family vacations the characters we met along the way always include the Captain.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-06-2023, 07:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Back in the day.........

Back in the day all stations would pump your gas, wash the glass, check the tires and under the hood. (oil and so on) Those were the days...... I worked at a Billups Gas Station when I was young. 6 in the evening til 6 in the morning.

Sold oil, gas, cigarettes, fixed flats and more. It was a full service.....station.

Good thing they're not around anymore........ cause you couldn't find anyone that would take their eyes of their cell phone long enough to service you these days.

Just for what it's worth....

Cheers....... and Happy Trails to ya!!
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #18

Arrow Working in a service station

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Back in the day all stations would pump your gas, wash the glass, check the tires and under the hood. (oil and so on) Those were the days...... I worked at a Billups Gas Station when I was young. 6 in the evening til 6 in the morning.

Sold oil, gas, cigarettes, fixed flats and more. It was a full service.....station.

Good thing they're not around anymore........ cause you couldn't find anyone that would take their eyes of their cell phone long enough to service you these days.

Just for what it's worth....

Cheers....... and Happy Trails to ya!!
Yes I did. No cell phones just a little stromberg Carlson radio in a Bakelite case up on a shelf. Either plugged in and playing or not. No changing stations. Dad’s Rules. Waxing a Cadillac on Sunday afternoon listing to Wayne King and his Golden Saxophone play Melody of Love.

Later I listened to Franklin MacCormaxk on WGN out of Chicago later in the evening in my Dad’s Buick sedan with my then girlfriend, now my wife of 53 years.
Yup, I know what you’re thinking.

Iowa Dave
Old 08-06-2023, 09:57 PM   #19

Trailer: SOLD - 2022 Escape 21NE
In Texas I always kept a pair of gloves in my door pocket. After moving to Oregon, I forgot about it. Now I'm going back to it again ;-}
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
People will argue over anything.
I’ll go back to playing my fiddle and not waste my time fretting. (Pun intended)
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote