Wait times dropping - Will used prices too? - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2023, 02:05 PM   #101

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Where are you finding 19 base price of Can 39,170? Try $48,175 that's a 50% increase in Can dollars on base price. The Us price increase is much more. I don't believe this has Anything to do with exporting. The buyer is the exporter of the trailer escape handles the paperwork and they do charge a fee for that.
If I price out my 19 today, it's in 85% more Than I paid in 2020
Also, you cannot pay in Candian unless you live in Canada I not sure where you got that info. I just confirmed this with ETI yesterday.
You are right, my mistake as I took the US price of the website so it actually 52%., averaging out to 10.45 per year.

I think the correct term would be to register in Canada.

If only our real estate price increases would be so low.

Seems we are both very lucky to already have our trailers.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 03:13 PM   #102

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
You are right, my mistake as I took the US price of the website so it actually 52%., averaging out to 10.45 per year.

I think the correct term would be to register in Canada.

If only our real estate price increases would be so low.

Seems we are both very lucky to already have our trailers.
you're trying to Spead the increase over 5 years.
19 models
base 2017 $31,500 Cad
Base 2018 $31,500cad
base 2019? 32,625 Cad
base 2020 $33.745Cad
base 2021? $34.9795 Cad
Base 2022?
Base 2023 $48,175 CAD

Also, if you do this in U.S dollars. The % of increase is much more.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 04:07 PM   #103

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikezest View Post
So wait times are dropping/have dropped a bunch. You can order an Escape today and have it in 4-5 months. Start to finish; you would be camping this summer. Used prices were driven upwards due to long wait times and accelerating prices of new.
The replacement cost of my trailer has risen by over $20K USD since I purchased it. If I sell it for $10K more than I paid for it that is a $10K price drop off a new one and a $10K price increase over what I paid for it. It's all a matter of perspective.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 07:25 PM   #104
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
. . . Also, you cannot pay in Candian unless you live in Canada I not sure where you got that info. I just confirmed this with ETI yesterday.
Why is that? You can't convert US$ to C$ and just show up with a check for the latter?
Old 02-26-2023, 07:29 PM   #105

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
No
Iowa Dave
Old 02-26-2023, 07:41 PM   #106

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
The fun is just beginning…

I get these notifications from the county government that due to a law, they put in place, every property thats value has gone up over 15% had to be reassessed.

I would hate to be on a fixed income, wouldn’t be nice that after a certain age they’d lighten up on taxation.

Now, they’re basing that on the boom, will they take into account the value of property is and will be dropping, about the same chance a unicorn will fly by.
Hi: Ooshkaboo... Our income is fixed... and we didn't even know it was broken!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 11:34 PM   #107

Trailer: 2012 E19
FWIW, I looked at buying a used Escape 17 located in Canada. Trying to figure out how to pay was the final straw that dissuaded me from buying it. The seller would have accepted a cashier's check in Canadian currency, but my bank could not provide one. The bank also wanted an ungodly amount (about $1200) of profit to exchange USD into CAD, and then I suppose I would have had to carry the cash into Canada... but the risk seemed too great (if stopped and searched by police, they can and do confiscate large sums of cash as presumed illegal drug money). My bank could have done a wire transfer, but the arriving funds would have been USD. I gave up on that one.

Happily, I then was able to get a deal in the works for a newer, better equipped E19 on this side of the border.
Old 02-27-2023, 06:59 AM   #108

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Our 21C that we picked up in October '22 was $42,000+/-. Based on the new pricing our 21C would now cast $51,000+/-. Plus the cost to pick it up in Sumas and the plates/taxes we paid.

Would someone pay $51,000 for new '23 that you can get in a few months or a few dollars less for one that is 4 months old?

I knowingly bought a toy with disposable income. This will never be a profitable investment but I do believe when we decide to sell it will sell much faster than your average stickie. For a profit I doubt it.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:05 AM   #109

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Why is that? You can't convert US$ to C$ and just show up with a check for the latter?
No that's not allowed anymore. On the trailer I am considering it would save me $6400 U.S if I converted my U,S. dollars at today's rate of .73 to Canadian for the purchase. I was able to on my 2020 But ETI put a stop to it. The reason stated for this change was it would be less confusing for the U.S buyers

Back to the original topic will used prices hold it value like it has in the past? apparently not. It used to be that if you wanted to change models you could sell your used and get new for a few thousand bucks or less. many have done that going from 19-21. witch I am considering. I look in the classified's today shows a 2020 19 asking price $35,000 order it new today and its over $48,000. so if this owner wants a 21 with same options it be 54,000, That would cost them 19,000 to do the upgrade. some are happy with the new price as it gives them a chance to sell used for more than they paid, but if there planning on getting another escape have, they really made any profit??
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:34 AM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post

I suppose I would have had to carry the cash into Canada... but the risk seemed too great (if stopped and searched by police, they can and do confiscate large sums of cash as presumed illegal drug money).

That's not accurate. A few years ago I bought a car in Portland. Seller agreed on a wire transfer. Arrived there and his bank said, yes, the money is in your account. He said that he wanted to withdraw it in cash. They said that they held the money for 3 days even though our bank and his were related banks and the money had clearly been transferred. He wanted cash.

A couple of weeks later I flew down with considerably more than the $10,000 that had to be declared. No biggie, just declare the cash and show them a reason why you have a lot of cash. In my case the ad and email exchange was fine. The same would apply to a private sale in Canada and banks would give either you or the seller Canadian dollars at their going rate.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 06:16 PM   #111

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I wouldn't be able to hazard a guess what will happen to the market.
Ever since I took that Macroeconomics class in College and learned that cash is considered a debit, my mind has been blank. I even accidentally walked into the ladies restroom after taking the final exam by mistake, not realizing until I got to the end that they didn't have the type facilities that the mens room has.
Anyway, I got extremely lucky with unplanned timing.
I picked up my 2019 Ford Ranger off the lot at a time when they gave both a big rebate and a dealer discount.
I ordered our Escape at the end of June 2020, right after COVID hit, but before people realized that camping was the only thing left to do since cruises and foreign travel were nixed. At the time, it was only a 3 month wait and I could have turned in my build sheet right away if I wanted it that quick.
I sold my Scamp for much more than I paid for it even though it provided me with over 100,000 miles of enjoyment over 10 years.
All in all, I'm happy that I have a well built fiberglass camper that will hold it's value well. At today's replacement prices, I don't know if I would have made the same decision, since I was even concerned with forking over $30,000 for our 2020 19" Escape!
Old 03-01-2023, 06:38 PM   #112

Trailer: 2022 E19 F1
Unhappy Cancelled order

As the OP, I officially canceled our order for a new E19 today. Sad to do so, but the economic realities are that while I could afford it, I couldn't stomach paying the hugely inflated price. I don't think it is Escape's fault, it has been a weird couple of years. I'd love to find the right used trailer, and I believe the prices will fall. I just sold the high-end pop-up truck camper the manufacturer told me to start at 43K in late November. I paid 35.5K in June 2020 and sold it for 36.5K - so not too bad. But the going rate dropped 6.5k in a couple of months. The backlog to order the same camper went from 1 year on December 1st to 4 months today.

The market is changing fast. I am in the bicycle industry, which was printing money for a couple of years and is now discounting up to 20-30%, and even that is not really moving the needle.

I do not believe prices will keep going up, and with reasonable wait times, I figure I will perhaps buy something used or order new later this year once the picture becomes clearer. There's just no reason to rush right now.

I have missed a couple of used 19's I thought were priced right, which is why they sold so quickly.
bikezest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:23 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's not accurate. A few years ago I bought a car in Portland. Seller agreed on a wire transfer. Arrived there and his bank said, yes, the money is in your account. He said that he wanted to withdraw it in cash. They said that they held the money for 3 days even though our bank and his were related banks and the money had clearly been transferred. He wanted cash.

A couple of weeks later I flew down with considerably more than the $10,000 that had to be declared. No biggie, just declare the cash and show them a reason why you have a lot of cash. In my case the ad and email exchange was fine. The same would apply to a private sale in Canada and banks would give either you or the seller Canadian dollars at their going rate.

Ron
Please don't tell me my post was "not accurate." You are from Canada. You don't understand US law. In the US, police can confiscate large sums of money and the owner must go to court and prove to the court that the money was not obtained through illegal activity, which can take more than a year!

I was NOT talking about border crossings!

As for the question of wire transfers, I don't know. All I can say is this: if I sent x dollars US by wire to a Canadian bank, why would they exchange x US dollars for y CA dollars for free, when banks in the US all say they expect a fat profit on an exchange? Anyway, I couldn't see how I could take the chance; if I got to the seller's place in Canada, looked at the trailer, and then called my bank to make the wire transfer, I had no certainty (1) how long it would take for him to get the money, (2) whether I'd be held up in a motel waiting for him to be satisfied that he had the payment, and (3) whether the receiving bank would charge him a fat fee just like my bank would have charged me for an exchange. It was too much uncertainty and anxiety for me.
Old 03-01-2023, 10:28 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikezest View Post
As the OP, I officially canceled our order for a new E19 today. Sad to do so, but the economic realities are that while I could afford it, I couldn't stomach paying the hugely inflated price. I don't think it is Escape's fault, it has been a weird couple of years. I'd love to find the right used trailer, and I believe the prices will fall. I just sold the high-end pop-up truck camper the manufacturer told me to start at 43K in late November. I paid 35.5K in June 2020 and sold it for 36.5K - so not too bad. But the going rate dropped 6.5k in a couple of months. The backlog to order the same camper went from 1 year on December 1st to 4 months today.

The market is changing fast. I am in the bicycle industry, which was printing money for a couple of years and is now discounting up to 20-30%, and even that is not really moving the needle.

I do not believe prices will keep going up, and with reasonable wait times, I figure I will perhaps buy something used or order new later this year once the picture becomes clearer. There's just no reason to rush right now.

I have missed a couple of used 19's I thought were priced right, which is why they sold so quickly.
Here's hoping you find one soon! I can attest that they do come available every now and then. It's difficult to be patient, but perseverance will pay!
Old 03-02-2023, 08:23 AM   #115

Quote:
FWIW, I looked at buying a used Escape 17 located in Canada.

then I suppose I would have had to carry the cash into Canada...
[QUOTE=Mike G;441479

I was NOT talking about border crossings!

[/QUOTE]

?

Ron
Old 03-02-2023, 08:50 AM   #116

Trailer: Escape
Quote:

As for the question of wire transfers, I don't know. All I can say is this: if I sent x dollars US by wire to a Canadian bank, why would they exchange x US dollars for y CA dollars for free, when banks in the US all say they expect a fat profit on an exchange? Anyway, I couldn't see how I could take the chance; if I got to the seller's place in Canada, looked at the trailer, and then called my bank to make the wire transfer, I had no certainty (1) how long it would take for him to get the money, (2) whether I'd be held up in a motel waiting for him to be satisfied that he had the payment, and (3) whether the receiving bank would charge him a fat fee just like my bank would have charged me for an exchange. It was too much uncertainty and anxiety for me.
For anyone interested in using a wire transfer there are discussion threads on this topic, along with suggestions for which services are cheapest.

I did a wire transfer to buy a used trailer in Canada and import it to the US. Yes, there is a fee to exchange the currency. The percentage of the fee was included in the transfer. No different than the fee for exchanging money and carrying cash across the border.

The transfer took part of a day. I made the call to my bank from the sellers bank once they calculated the amount to be transferred. There was no additional fee to the seller.

The money is deposited as cash. It isn't like a check where the recipient has to wait for the check to clear. After we went for lunch the seller checked his account and the money was there, ready for use.

I found the method to be straightforward and secure.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
The money is deposited as cash. It isn't like a check where the recipient has to wait for the check to clear. After we went for lunch the seller checked his account and the money was there, ready for use.
That's the situation that I mentioned. But even though it was basically a Wells Fargo to Wells Fargo situation and the money path was visible they still put a hold on the seller from withdrawing the money as cash.

Like many situations different folks have different results doing similar things.

Ron
Old 03-08-2023, 03:54 PM   #118

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Wed, Mar 8th: There’s are article in the Wall Street Journal today indicating that the RV business has really slowed down. It noted for one of the large USA manufacturers, sales were down 39% off of a year ago. So, no doubt Escape is experiencing the same thing.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote