Wait times dropping - Will used prices too? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2023, 07:28 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm not sure what this means, but for sure there are parts of the country where housing prices are not affordable. My daughter makes a six-figure income in southern CA and to her the idea of buying a house is completely implausible.

Maybe this is just an impact of the demographics with the Boomers, but it seems impossible to sustain.

I'm not sure what this part is about, but if I get the reference that pregnant lady's net worth is a large multiple of mine. So I guess it's working for her?

There was certainly nothing scandalous about Rihanna's performance in this year's Superbowl. You can like it or not, but it was just a show.
I apologize, I do tend to forget reading comprehension has fallen quite a bit of late…

Let me help, I too have family in Southern California, they have houses. If they couldn’t afford it there and wanted to be a home owner they are well aware there are much less expensive houses in many areas-choices.

As far a crotch grabber, there’s plenty of opportunities for that to be seen, why on prime time. We just have different standards for what we would allow our children to be exposed to.
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:05 PM   #62

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I didn’t see the halftime. I don’t pay much attention to other folks incomes and don’t plan on bumping the cruise control of life up or down anytime soon. But you never know and you really probably don’t want the future, inflation, trailer sales or the price of coon hides next season. Takes the fun out of it. Think I’ll make an ice cream cone for Rita.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-22-2023, 08:10 PM   #63
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
As far a crotch grabber, there’s plenty of opportunities for that to be seen, why on prime time. We just have different standards for what we would allow our children to be exposed to.
That's gone on for years, certainly nothing new. Michael Jackson was 'famous' for it and he died in 2009.

I remember watching the Beatles with my parents and grand parents on the Ed Sullivan Show. Oh my, long hair and that certainly wasn't music

MTV was beyond my parents, but they were of the Lawrence Welk crowd.

I try very, very hard to not sound like my Mother.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:18 PM   #64

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
That's gone on for years, certainly nothing new. Michael Jackson was 'famous' for it and he died in 2009.

I remember watching the Beatles with my parents and grand parents on the Ed Sullivan Show. Oh my, long hair and that certainly wasn't music

MTV was beyond my parents, but they were of the Lawrence Welk crowd.

I try very, very hard to not sound like my Mother.
From what I can gather from what I see in the area I live, how things have turned out-your mother was a wise woman. Respect…
Ooshkaboo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:41 PM   #65

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
I apologize, I do tend to forget reading comprehension has fallen quite a bit of late…

Thank you, I appreciate your deliberate offense so very much.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:47 PM   #66

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Let me help, I too have family in Southern California, they have houses. If they couldn’t afford it there and wanted to be a home owner they are well aware there are much less expensive houses in many areas-choices.
It's a given that southern CA has high housing prices largely because the climate is nice.

But your suggested remedy, that all the young people who can't afford housing should just leave, is perhaps plausible and also not a good solution for southern Californians. Is a society of just the old rich and an odd smattering of random young surgeons/entrepreneurs really sustainable? Who's going to make everyone's coffee, educate their children, and clean their houses?

I'll also say that I don't think some of the current pricing / affordability issues will persist forever. The US, like many modern countries, is going through what will be a difficult demographic change. Japan is a leader, followed by Europe, and now the US. Birth rates are low and these countries will all become old age dominated. There are going to be huge economic impacts from this shift, unless these countries all dramatically increase immigration.

Here in the US, birth rates fell in 2009 with the great recession and they never came back. We are now on track to join Japan and Europe as countries of mostly old people.
In the very near term this will hit things like small colleges. In the coming decade a whole bunch of small colleges are going to close, devastating small cities across the nation. Circling back to the point of this thread, a nation with few young people and few families is going to change a whole bunch of industries, including RVs, in ways we all probably are not ready to imagine.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:20 PM   #67

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
And don't forget the elephant in the room

China.
Birth rates plummeting there.
From 7 BILLION plus souls on Earth now, we're projected to hit a mere 9 Billion in the future.
NIMBY. (joke)
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 09:35 PM   #68
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
The Fed is attempting to constrain inflation by raising interest rates, which reduces demand. It's working for housing, sales of which have been declining for months.

On the other hand, inflation continues apace because the current administration has restricted energy production, thereby driving up prices of everything, e.g. the materials to build trailers. Expensive interest rates will reduce demand (for those that purchase on time), but expensive materials reduce supply, and increase prices.

It's going to be quite a problem for manufacturers like Escape to keep prices from skyrocketing to the point where most people can't afford their products.

The solution is cheap, plentiful energy and a growing economy, but don't tell anyone I said that.
Old 02-22-2023, 09:58 PM   #69

The sun is cheap and the heat in the earth is cheap too. Wind blows a lot of places too. And the land is not destroyed or underwater forever.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-22-2023, 10:05 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I do think the used Escape (actual purchase) prices will go down somewhat this year, but not dramatically. A person might save a grand or two by waiting. Meanwhile that shopper will spend another Escape-less summer. It's not worth the wait for me to maybe save a little bit; I want to have a trailer that I can use this spring for some business traveling and this summer to attend a family gathering in MI. As of yesterday I have a purchase pending-- finally!!!

Yes. Plus "If" you are looking certain things on one & east of The Mississippi, & have Age looking you straight in the eye......... I live in NC (am in NM right now...."Chasing Trials"). I just put down a deposit, as I've miss some used (husband sold Without telling wife, who RAN the Ad! I was to pick it up the NEXT day!). Running Dog Agility & Age? I can't wait 3 yrs for that right Used trailer east of Mississippi to show up & yet Still do my changes to it? & will NOT ever buy sight unseen used again.

I put deposit down 2 days ago on an E19. Completion Date: 2023-07-06 & still asked if I was willing for an earlier date? So prices may come down, but, I think they are also trying hard to keep their help. Quality will come up too.

And with that soon of date? I'll be scrambling! On top of finding out with my very young dog getting to run in a full sized arena for the first time(4 x bigger than home!)........ I have a firecracker on my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Fog1stJumpers!.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:37 PM   #71

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
My experience today

Lot of good insight here. Especially enjoy Iowa Dave’s words.
Today I went to a motorcycle dealership in NE Tennessee to look for a side-by- side UTV. Only wanted to look at Hondas, because of their type of drive system.
Situation for dealers is currently (and through April ‘23) they have to take what Honda sends them, which are all the same color, model etc. Not taking special orders.
Price is MRSP plus a few hundred blue sky money. Just learned that means pure profit.
George and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 01:47 PM   #72

Hi George
We don’t see a lot of Hondas in our part of the state. They are not real well represented. We do have numerous Polaris dealers along with Gravely (Atlas) , Bobcat and some Arctic Cat. I get the promos from the Polaris site and it looks like they are starting to have specials down from the straight MSRP.

The new law last July here allows riding on county blacktops. It’s killed a few people already, especially when the kids get joy riding on those rat rod looking ones about sundown. I’ve thought about one for hauling stuff around and working out at our farm ground but am on the fence. Maybe when I get a little older and mature some. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2023, 02:10 PM   #73
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials;44111

I put deposit down 2 days ago on an E19. [FONT=sans-serif
Completion Date: 2023-07-06[/FONT] & still asked if I was willing for an earlier date? So prices may come down, but, I think they are also trying hard to keep their help. Quality will come up too.

And with that soon of date? I'll be scrambling! On top of finding out with my very young dog getting to run in a full sized arena for the first time(4 x bigger than home!)........ I have a firecracker on my hands.
Congrats on the the E19! Also, nice looking pup. Aussie? Aussie/Healer cross? My wife and I are fans of herding dogs and currently have a Shepherd/Healer cross, Sage. At 10 Sage is slowing down, but for a while there was way too much brain power and energy in that furry body. Even with us both being long distance runners. Couldn't ask for a better dog and better traveler, though.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #74

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve thought about one for hauling stuff around and working out at our farm ground but am on the fence. Maybe when I get a little older and mature some. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Iowa Dave
We really enjoy your posts, Iowa Dave. They’re chock full of wit and wisdom - and always civil.

Time sure takes care of the “get a little older” - never fails - but the “mature some” is the hard part for a few of us.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 02:40 PM   #75

Trailer: 2016 21 Escape "Wishbone", 2017 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
Hi George
We don’t see a lot of Hondas in our part of the state. They are not real well represented. We do have numerous Polaris dealers along with Gravely (Atlas) , Bobcat and some Arctic Cat. I get the promos from the Polaris site and it looks like they are starting to have specials down from the straight MSRP.

The new law last July here allows riding on county blacktops. It’s killed a few people already, especially when the kids get joy riding on those rat rod looking ones about sundown. I’ve thought about one for hauling stuff around and working out at our farm ground but am on the fence. Maybe when I get a little older and mature some. Hope all is well with you and yours.
Iowa Dave
We have them all over here in NW MT Driven mainly by 50 year old teenagers. Been looking at UTVs but not for $27K. My 99 4Runner can go to most of the same places, seats 5, A/C, radio, heater and sun roof. Waiting for supply to catch up with demand.
ATVs and dirt bikes are street legal here if you have a brake light and a license plate light.

I have a sticker on my tool box that reads, "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother on a Honda."
Old 02-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #76

History

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
We really enjoy your posts, Iowa Dave. They’re chock full of wit and wisdom - and always civil.

Time sure takes care of the “get a little older” - never fails - but the “mature some” is the hard part for a few of us.
I was looking through a bunch of old papers I have and came across some literature from when I worked on the Nez Perce National Forest in Idaho in 1969 and 1970. In 69
I piloted my 305 CC Honda Super Hawk 1700 miles in 4 days on what is Interstate 90 now but was mostly two lane blacktop then. The snowstorm in Western Montana made sleeping under a tarp attached to the Honda challenging. And the curvy roads with 4 inches of snow and 32 degree temps caused me to access all of my clothes to stall off Hypothermia.

I was “smarter” the next year when Rita and I honeymooned using my 1950 F1 Ford pickup with the Flathead V-8 back out to the Selway to become forest fire lookouts in a 55 foot tall tower with an L-4 Cabin on the top. Let the good times and the thunder roll.

I wonder now how we did it but on the other hand, things that might seem difficult to conquer now are quickly reduced to gnats buzzing around when I look back on the history. Adventure comes in many forms.
Planning on a great season of camping, “seeing scenes I ain’t seen before”
Iowa Dave
Old 02-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_bullet View Post

I have a sticker on my tool box that reads, "I'd rather have a sister in a whorehouse than a brother on a Honda."
Ouch, love my Honda Goldwing. But then maybe quality is an acquired taste.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:33 PM   #78

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Ouch, love my Honda Goldwing. But then maybe quality is an acquired taste.

Ron
I've owned Honda, Yamaha and Harley Davidson motorcycles since I was 12. I've also owned Ford, Mazda and Honda cars & trucks since I was 16.

My 2010 Harley had more warranty problems than you could shake a stick at before they finally fixed it. My Honda and one of my Yamaha motorcycles were 2 cycle motocross bikes that I tried my best to abuse but still ran like new. I had a 1980 Yamaha 550cc street bike that ran perfectly.

I had a 1972 Ford Maverick that ran great if I cleaned the plugs once a week. I owned a late 70's Ford Courier truck that had 300,000 miles on it but it was really a Mazda truck with Ford badging. My 1994 Ford F150 (113,000 miles) & my 2001 Toyota Tundra (96,000 miles) had multiple transmission failures. Our last 2002 Honda Accord had 225,000 miles on it and I replaced tires and headlights. Our 2012 Honda Accord and our 2014 Honda Pilot both have 130,000 miles on them without issue. Our 2016 Ford F150 EcoBoost truck has just over 50,000 miles and is good so far with the exception of a window that will roll down once in a while all by itself.

Loved my Harley and my F150 but I will say that our Hondas have been 100% flawless. They might not be flashy but they run and function 100% of the time.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 07:51 PM   #79
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I've owned Honda, Yamaha and Harley Davidson motorcycles since I was 12. I've also owned Ford, Mazda and Honda cars & trucks since I was 16.

My 2010 Harley had more warranty problems than you could shake a stick at before they finally fixed it. My Honda and one of my Yamaha motorcycles were 2 cycle motocross bikes that I tried my best to abuse but still ran like new. I had a 1980 Yamaha 550cc street bike that ran perfectly ...

...Loved my Harley and my F150 but I will say that our Hondas have been 100% flawless. They might not be flashy but they run and function 100% of the time.
You sound like my brother from another mother. I owned a motorcycle/small engine shop for about 6 years and had a work shop at home with a dozen or so bikes in various states of repair. 80's and 90's Harleys were stone axe simple to work on. I didn't mind wrenching on them because they were straight forward. The Sportster 883/1100/1200 were my favorite. I was converting them into scramblers in the early 2000's, 30 years before the street scrambler craze hit.

Hondas were highly refined and reliable. They were engineered for ease of maintenance and their build quality was surpassed only by BMW.

Yamahas were the easiest to resurrect sine they were the champions of utilizing the same parts across different models. Yamaha was probably my favorite of the Japanese brand. Never cared much for Suzuki and the only Kawasaki I liked was the KLR650. I had a couple of those and it was the only bike I ever road across the country on.

The only moto in the garage now is a Triumph Bonneville T120. It has embarrassing low miles since we have started traveling and camping more and more. I have to admit that at times, I seriously think about selling it and buy a couple of electric bicycles.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:16 PM   #80

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
I’ve thought about one for hauling stuff around and working out at our farm ground but am on the fence.
Wouldn't a recliner be more comfortable than that fence? I hope it isn't barbwire...