We got lucky this week… - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2022, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We got lucky this week…

I went to the storage facility yesterday to begin the prep work for an upcoming trip. When I walked into the unit there was a layer of soot covering everything! Upon investigation there was a major fire that engulfed 10-15 units at the end of the row our unit is in. The smoke traveled from these units (about 10 away from me) and left soot on everything! Today we begin the removal and cleaning of everything. It’s a mess. [emoji846]. The actual cause of the fire is under investigation.

The owners will clean the interior of the unit once I remove everything. I talked to my insurance company and the damage is less than my deductible so no claim. When I asked the owners why they didn’t call me they apologized and said they didn’t think we were affected. They will now be calling a lot more owners.

Word to the wise, if you have your trailer in offsite storage it’s good to check on it from time to time.

John
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6849.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	60802

Name:	IMG_6851.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	60803

Name:	IMG_6857.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	60804

Name:	IMG_6858.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	60805

Name:	IMG_6855.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	60806

Name:	IMG_6860.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	60807
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:26 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow,
I hope it is not too bad.....
Old 02-13-2022, 09:29 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 5.0 TA
Ugghhh... that would be an unpleasant surprise but glad the force was with you. Hopefully it cleans up easily and you can put this behind you quickly.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:15 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Uck. The outside should be fairly easy to clean, but if the soot got inside, you may have a mess. Soot is greasy.

Best of luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Incredible. Have to wonder how that fire got started. Because here we have had quire a few sub-zero nights on some nights have used my little electric space heater on the floor in the trailer but - that hasn't stopped me from being nervous about the thing shorting out - catching on fire. We rely on stuff but... you never know.
Old 02-13-2022, 12:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Incredible. Have to wonder how that fire got started. Because here we have had quire a few sub-zero nights on some nights have used my little electric space heater on the floor in the trailer but - that hasn't stopped me from being nervous about the thing shorting out - catching on fire. We rely on stuff but... you never know.

I did tile work in the winter on Martha's Vineyard. Had to leave heaters on over night /weekends, for curing sometimes. I was very nervous doing it (Trophy Houses). Having tile around, I set the heater & all along the cord length to the outlet on top of tightly spaced tiles. Sometimes a long ways! Hoping to protect mostly the wood sub flooring.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Uck. The outside should be fairly easy to clean, but if the soot got inside, you may have a mess. Soot is greasy.

Best of luck!

We found that out today. We brought the trailer home and began cleaning the interior. It all had a very fine almost imperceptible layer on everything. Once we clean the interior then on to the outside. Not what I was planning on doing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Old 02-13-2022, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post

We don’t know yet how the fire started. It may be a week or two for the investigators to complete their work. I know there are a lot of folks who do car repair/reno work, machine and welding work in their unit. Also lots of extension cords to battery maintainers that are now being disconnected. Lots of opportunities for something to go wrong. I learned today it started at 3:30 in the afternoon and no one was around at the time.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We found that out today. We brought the trailer home and began cleaning the interior. It all had a very fine almost imperceptible layer on everything. Once we clean the interior then on to the outside. Not what I was planning on doing on Super Bowl Sunday.
Oh man, that just sux.. You have the storage unit to shield your trailer from environmental effects.. At least you rig wasn't lost the the fire
Old 02-14-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

I went out this morning and the morning dew made a mess! So I spent the day washing the exterior while DW cleaned the interior. At least the weather cooperated.

Before and after photos.

Name:	IMG_6884.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	349.4 KB
ID:	60852

Name:	IMG_6882.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	333.6 KB
ID:	60853

Name:	IMG_6886.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	60854

Name:	IMG_6885.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	60855
Old 02-14-2022, 02:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Wow,
Is that normal for your area? Seems like washing becomes a daily chore.
Old 02-14-2022, 03:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Wow,
Is that normal for your area? Seems like washing becomes a daily chore.

No. It’s actually perfect wx here now. 70 degrees, no wind and not a cloud in the sky. This was the soot that was on the trailer from the fire. We brought it home to clean. Next up is all the other “stuff” in the storage unit. It’s all covered with soot.
Old 02-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Wow! I can only imagine what the inside of off the AC, MaxFan, etc look like.

Hopefully your interior is not compromised.

Good Luck!

PS: You wash job looks marvelous.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 E19
Hopefully your interior doesn't smell like the nasty smoke that passed through your storage unit. That smell can be difficult to get rid of.
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:23 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 E19
Wow, I hope the inside cleans up as well.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:28 PM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
These look like individual units. How did the smoke from one get into yours (and others)?

You might have a civil claim worth filing against the storage facility owner, depending on the terms of your rental contract.
Old 02-15-2022, 05:21 AM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
...You might have a civil claim worth filing against the storage facility owner, depending on the terms of your rental contract.
eh, most of the time, the only ones who 'win' are the lawyers.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 11:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
These look like individual units. How did the smoke from one get into yours (and others)?
The roof structure is supported by channel beams running side-to-side. If you look at the interior photo you'll see that the steel wall sheathing runs up the wall but stops at the underside of the beams leaving a 3 or 4" space between the top of the wall sheathing and the ceiling. Perfect to ensure cross contamination in the event of a fire.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 12:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The roof structure is supported by channel beams running side-to-side. If you look at the interior photo you'll see that the steel wall sheathing runs up the wall but stops at the underside of the beams leaving a 3 or 4" space between the top of the wall sheathing and the ceiling. Perfect to ensure cross contamination in the event of a fire.

Ron

Correct. The walls do not extend the the ceiling. I was just there this am and there is about a 6 inch gap at the top between the walls and ceiling. My unit is 13 units away from the fire. As you move farther away the soot diminishes. I saw a unit about 6 away from the fire and his boat was covered in soot and cinders. He said his boat is ok.

We leave the Maxxfan vent open along with all cabinet doors. A very light layer of soot permeated the inside of the trailer. [emoji3525] Hence we have to take everything out and wipe it all down, wash dishes and linens. It’s like bringing the trailer back to its original delivery condition. Luckily there is no smoke damage. So that’s one small thing in our favor.
Old 02-15-2022, 02:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
It's great that things are cleaning up nicely. It's probable that some units closer to the fire will have smoke damage harder to clean up than your unit.

Depends on the jurisdiction and bylaws etc. but here, an individual unit such as yours, would have been required to have fire stopping between the individual units. Leaving that gap at the top of the wall is a huge no-no.

If you're going to be returning to that unit I'd recommend that it be conditional on the air gap being sealed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote