1 or 2 solar panels?? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #61

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
I'll check out the controller placement as my friend has a new 17B--she's the one who got me to fall in love with Escape. She has roof solar but can tell me where her controller is.
The 17A on the Escape website does not appear to have a solar charge controller, but in the 17B it is located in the upper cabinet over the sink. That part of the trailer is the same in the 17A and 17B, so I would expect to find the controller in the same place... in a current-style 17'.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 03:51 PM   #62

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Scott,
Nice install. We also replaced the ETI stock controller with the Blue Sky unit.
So, you spend a lot of time with your head on a pillow on the floor, admiring the array of LED's, eh?

It’s true. A pillow does make it more comfy when ogling the ins and outs of current, checking system performance and settings. Once set up correctly it could all be forgotten, but it’s somehow fascinating to check and see. Standing in the doorway is also good for viewing things, as long as no buttons need pressing. And it’s not raining. And the awning is furled.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tannerls View Post
Nice photo... did you have ETI install the controller battery monitor and related hardware?

The only items in this pic that ETI installed are the WFCO power center (fuses and breakers, on the right) and the EMS remote on the left. I knew I was going to replace the factory GoPower solar controller with a Blue Sky, so I had them “mount” the GoPower inside the bench so I could cut the correct size hole for the BlueSky later, as they’re slightly different sizes. I also mounted the Trimetric, as ETI would only run the wire, but not do the full install; which was fine with me as I think running the wire is the hardest part. I added the Inverter remote myself as well. If you get, and stick, with both factory solar and factory inverter, the solar controller handles both of these. Since I ditched the factory GoPower solar controller, I needed a separate remote for the inverter. GoPower makes two models, a smaller on/off only one, and the fancier one that I put in that tells you a bit more about inverter function and performance.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #64

Trailer: 2018 19 ft Escape, Tow: 2014 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
The only items in this pic that ETI installed are the WFCO power center (fuses and breakers, on the right) and the EMS remote on the left. I knew I was going to replace the factory GoPower solar controller with a Blue Sky, so I had them “mount” the GoPower inside the bench so I could cut the correct size hole for the BlueSky later, as they’re slightly different sizes. I also mounted the Trimetric, as ETI would only run the wire, but not do the full install; which was fine with me as I think running the wire is the hardest part. I added the Inverter remote myself as well. If you get, and stick, with both factory solar and factory inverter, the solar controller handles both of these. Since I ditched the factory GoPower solar controller, I needed a separate remote for the inverter. GoPower makes two models, a smaller on/off only one, and the fancier one that I put in that tells you a bit more about inverter function and performance.
Thanks sclifrickson. This has been a great source of information as I may do a similar mod. I was curious, do you think the BlueSky would fit in the same cutout space in the bench as the GoPower? In other words, the dimensions of the Blue Sky cutout would need to be identical or slightly larger. If larger one could just make the space slightly wider and or taller to make a clean install.

Also is the cable for the battery monitor a CAT 5? I may have ETI put this in especially if we get the foam insulation under the trailer. Foam insulation would require me to cutaway foam if I add cable later on.

Thanks... much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:37 PM   #65

1 or 2 solar panels??

Quote:
Thanks sclifrickson. This has been a great source of information as I may do a similar mod. I was curious, do you think the BlueSky would fit in the same cutout space in the bench as the GoPower? In other words, the dimensions of the Blue Sky cutout would need to be identical or slightly larger. If larger one could just make the space slightly wider and or taller to make a clean install.

Also is the cable for the battery monitor a CAT 5? I may have ETI put this in especially if we get the foam insulation under the trailer. Foam insulation would require me to cutaway foam if I add cable later on.

Thanks... much appreciated.

The GoPower cutout is larger in one dimension and smaller in the other than the BlueSky (I forget which is which though). I did the swap in my 17 a couple years ago and the hole was covered completely by the BlueSky, but there were two screw holes that weren’t covered. So that’s why we asked ETI to not cut a hole for the GoPower at all in our new 19, and instead they temporarily “mounted” it inside the bench. It was all hooked up and operational, just zip tied to other stuff inside the bench itself.

Not sure if the battery monitor cable is actually CAT5 or not, but I think that would work. I bought a wire from Bogart Engineering that they made specifically for the Trimetric, delivered it to ETI, and they installed it. I had to do the hookups on both ends though, with controller on one end and shunt at the other end by negative battery terminal.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #66

Quote:
The GoPower cutout is larger in one dimension and smaller in the other than the BlueSky (I forget which is which though). I did the swap in my 17 a couple years ago and the hole was covered completely by the BlueSky, but there were two screw holes that weren’t covered. So that’s why we asked ETI to not cut a hole for the GoPower at all in our new 19, and instead they temporarily “mounted” it inside the bench. It was all hooked up and operational, just zip tied to other stuff inside the bench itself.

Not sure if the battery monitor cable is actually CAT5 or not, but I think that would work. I bought a wire from Bogart Engineering that they made specifically for the Trimetric, delivered it to ETI, and they installed it. I had to do the hookups on both ends though, with controller on one end and shunt at the other end by negative battery terminal.
Great information. I think I will do the same. By the way, my middle name is Scott.

Thanks again and stay safe!
Old 12-06-2017, 06:32 PM   #67

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The cable from the Trimetric to Bogarts controller is 4 wire phone line with RJ14's on it. It has a crossover (TX/RX) in it. The cable from the Trimetric to the Shunt/battery is just 4 wire, any 4 wire will do. I think I sent them some spare cat 5 and used just 4 or the wires.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #68

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:

Blue Skys sells an adapter that let you mount one of its controllers in place of the GoPower controller. The same adapter works with either their SB3000i MPPT or Sun Charger PWM controller. It is the SC30-Adapter. (Check the bottom of the page.)

The battery monitor cable should be 2 pair twisted pair for the most accuracy. The voltage levels from the shunt are in the microvolts & the twisted pair reduces interference (as does wiring it as the instructions show). If you use a CAT5 cable, it would be best to use raw cable rather than a flat finished version (some of which are not twisted).
Old 12-06-2017, 06:36 PM   #69

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 17A on the Escape website does not appear to have a solar charge controller, but in the 17B it is located in the upper cabinet over the sink.
Oops... typo
The solar charge controller is in the 17A - and not the 17B - in the trailers on the Escape website; I just had the trailer identifications reversed in my comment.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Blue Skys sells an adapter that let you mount one of its controllers in place of the GoPower controller. The same adapter works with either their SB3000i MPPT or Sun Charger PWM controller. It is the SC30-Adapter. (Check the bottom of the page.)
Thanks Vermilye. That is good news. Would like to use the ETI controller for a while before I make any additional changes. I will need some time to recover and get my sanity back after such a big trailer purchase. Ha!
Old 12-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #71

One other note regarding the BlueSky controllers; if you do go this route I highly recommend incorporating their battery temperature sensor as well. This is another cable that must be run from controller to the batteries, and allows the controller to adjust its charging algorithm optimally for any given battery temperature. Easiest to have ETI put the cable in when they do the build, which is what we did, even though we didn’t have the BlueSky controller until after picking up the trailer.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:28 PM   #72

Trailer: Escape 17B - Sept 2017
The charge controller on my 2017 17B is located on the passenger side rear bench on the frig end.
parfsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:05 AM   #73

Quote:
One other note regarding the BlueSky controllers; if you do go this route I highly recommend incorporating their battery temperature sensor as well. This is another cable that must be run from controller to the batteries, and allows the controller to adjust its charging algorithm optimally for any given battery temperature. Easiest to have ETI put the cable in when they do the build, which is what we did, even though we didn’t have the BlueSky controller until after picking up the trailer.
Another excellent point I did not think of. What a great forum. Priceless information.

Thank You sclifrickson
Old 12-07-2017, 01:31 AM   #74

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
I also found the Blue Sky unit to be different in cutout size than our previous Samlex. Also, the wiring connections are at the opposite (right) end. The wiring would be stretched tight, which made the factory adapter not quite the solution it normally is, so I made an adapter piece from 1/4" paneling painted black. It passed the wife inspection.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:34 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
not to start a debate about towing with propane on, but... we prefer to have the fridge on 12v when towing, (not propane) so that pretty much makes 2 solar panels a necessity.
Can't you run your fridge on 12 Volt all the time when towing? Your TV alternator would keep your house batteries charged wouldn't they?
Old 12-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Can't you run your fridge on 12 Volt all the time when towing? Your TV alternator would keep your house batteries charged wouldn't they?
That would be fine, but if you've been camping and your house batteries are depleted, there is not enough energy from the tow vehicle to recharge them and to cool the fridge on 12V.
You get to the next site with depleted house batteries.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #77

Oh. That is a very good point.

Thanks
Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #78

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I did four solar panels, and carry a portable too.

But, my panels are only 60W each.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ion-10273.html
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #79

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That would be fine, but if you've been camping and your house batteries are depleted, there is not enough energy from the tow vehicle to recharge them and to cool the fridge on 12V.
You get to the next site with depleted house batteries.
Indeed-- you'll learn to think ahead: e.g. "Will I have enough battery power to get through tonight? Will I have enough sunlight tomorrow to recharge my batteries?" etc. And if you're like me you'll forget a time or two, which will just reinforce the habit.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Indeed-- you'll learn to think ahead: e.g. "Will I have enough battery power to get through tonight? Will I have enough sunlight tomorrow to recharge my batteries?" etc. And if you're like me you'll forget a time or two, which will just reinforce the habit.
We are just scratching the service and have a lot to learn about this lifestyle. We plan on adding a ZAMP port close to the charge controller for additional solar capability if required.

We need mentoring and really appreciate the advice.

Thanks