Build Thread "The Open Road" - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2022, 12:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I also started taping up my solar panels. My plan is a large amount of VHB tape, and then a rim of Dicor around the panel to keep the tape dry and snug under there.
Your mods are looking great and your panels will be very secure. They shouldn't go anywhere. I installed my panels in the same locations 2 years ago with less than half the VHB tape you are using, and chose not to use perimeter chalking as the tape is designed for outdoor panel installations and will be easier to remove with the proper tools if I have to change a panel. I did one strip of 3/4" tape around the outside and thee in the center, mostly to limit any buffeting or chaffing. I have used the VHB tape in the design of exterior aircraft installations (wing vortex generators) and know if you do your surface prep properly it will not let go. Proper surface preparation is everything.

Mine have been installed for 2 years and have lived outside the whole time in +35 C (+95 F) to -39 C (-31 F), been through multiple hail storms, high winds, and now two winters of snow. I was out cleaning the snow off today to ensure the batteries stay charged and inspected the edges. They are all secure with no gaps.

Note that our 19 also has blue graphics and we have a blue tow vehicle as well. You obviously have good taste. Enjoy your trailer.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 04:41 PM   #62
Zu!

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Quote:
I have a few other thoughts.

1) I don't like the rigid solar panels and the way ETI mounts them, which is why I only got the solar pre-wire. I also wanted to pick my own solar charger. But the pre-wire is good to get because otherwise you will have to cut a hole in the roof and run the wires yourself.

2) If you know you want Li batteries, then spec the trailer with them or at least work with ETI to build the trailer set up for Li. I think they might be willing to ship it with a 12V flooded battery, but you want the right convertor and you'll need the DC-DC charger.

3) I guess you could add the DC-DC charger yourself, but it's funny how stuff starts getting wired differently depending on what is around. ETI wired my tongue jack power from the DC-DC charger outlet, as this is just a shared line to the battery positive terminal.

I'm very happy with how my system is set up now, and I think the way I ordered it gave me just what I needed to modify it to my plan.
Quote:
I ordered the trailer with the Li batteries (two), and with the solar pre-wire. I also got the 1500 watt inverter wired to all outlets (so it comes with the transfer switch) and the EMS.

What this got me:
1) Two Li batteries located in the front storage box.
2) A wiring terminal on the roof, and a pair of 6 gage wires run down from the roof to the front DS dinette.
3) Li ready convertor in the power center
4) Victron DC-DC convertor on the wire from the tow vehicle

What I bought on my own:
1) Three Lensun 80W semi-flexible panels that I stuck to the roof and wired together.
2) EPEVER MPPT solar charger
3) Victron charge monitor (shunt).

4) Some breakers and such

Modifications:
1) Installed the solar panels on the roof
2) Moved the Victron DC-DC, and the transfer switch to make room in the dinnette
3) Added the Solar charger in the dinette
4) Moved the two batteries from the front box to the DS dinette. There is room if you move some of the other stuff around.

Back in this thread (post #43) you can see pictures of how I rearranged the dinette. The DS dinette gets pretty tight with everything in there (space efficient!) but it does all fit. The front box is awesome with no batteries in it.
I decided to search for Lensun. Instead I found these guys, which seem to work well too!

Sorry, had to edit cos my fat fingers pressed the wrong button!

After looking at their prices, I might just go (almost all) with them!
The factory off-grid package is $5,635 and gives me 200 Ah plus 350W of solar.
If I do the work myself:
Flexible Solar panels (3x 175W) - $1,020
Charge controller - $140
2x 100 Ah batteries - $1,368
Inverter (factory) - $1,210
Prewire - $273
Solar Port - $150
Shunt - $85
total = $4,246

The factory cost for the total package is $5,635. Not a lot of savings ($1,389) but then, I have the sleek look I want and the batteries are going to be inside (the BIG thing for me).

Am I missing anything?
Zu! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:27 PM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I don’t think your linked Renogy panels will fit on the roof of an Escape 19. My Lensun panels are 37” long, installed so the 37” dimension is side to side on my 2017. That gave me just a bit of margin on the raised roof channel to install some Eternabond tape.

Here is a link to a thread for my installation. Post #39 has a picture showing the margin available.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ons-17711.html
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 10:53 PM   #64
Zu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
I don’t think your linked Renogy panels will fit on the roof of an Escape 19. My Lensun panels are 37” long, installed so the 37” dimension is side to side on my 2017. That gave me just a bit of margin on the raised roof channel to install some Eternabond tape.

Here is a link to a thread for my installation. Post #39 has a picture showing the margin available.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ons-17711.html
Thanks very much! Wow! Not much room up there at all. I’ll have to rethink the panels then. None of their higher capacity flex panels are less than 48”. I felt for sure, the 19’s roof was wider than that. Didn’t think of the curve. Geez. I thought it looked real good too.

What’s the available room?
Old 02-22-2022, 09:29 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zu! View Post
Thanks very much! Wow! Not much room up there at all. I’ll have to rethink the panels then. None of their higher capacity flex panels are less than 48”. I felt for sure, the 19’s roof was wider than that. Didn’t think of the curve. Geez. I thought it looked real good too.

Trailer is in storage now and I have deleted my notes. But, from memory and my pictures, it would depend upon how flexible the edges of the panels are. I think there was no more than 1” on outer edges before the curve of the ridge started to significantly increase, which would be an issue for most panels.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 10:38 AM   #66

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
You can see in this picture of the roof of our 19 that the 37 inch panels just fit. In fact the front and rear panels com right out to the start of the tight radius of the center roof edge.Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040353.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	61001
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:59 PM   #67

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Lensun

Congrats on the new Trailer, looks like it's keeping you busy . Since you are using the 80w Lensun panels I wonder if you (or anyone else) have some hard numbers on real life output in a good sunny day. I run some tests on these with somewhat disappointing results.
When it comes to the 712 I know the feeling of being able to know what your electrical system is doing, you can learn a lot by following it during charging and discharging cycles.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:40 PM   #68

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Just a quick update, I installed the 9500 BTU Houghton AC unit today. I had a plan to construct a scaffold system and use a block and tackle install off the balcony on the front of my house. As I was setting this up, I had to ask the construction crew in front of my house to move some equipment so I could reposition the trailer. We have a big crew that is drilling in water mains in the area (and making a huge mess).

Well, these guys asked me what I was doing and I told them. They looked at each other, looked at me, and said "You want us to just put that on with an excavator?" I jumped at that offer.

So it took us together about five minutes to just lift the AC into place with an excavator. Then I bolted it to the inside bracket and backed the trailer up the drive.

I have a bunch of beer sitting around from a work event, so I gave the guys two cases of an IPA. They seemed pleased with that on a Friday afternoon after a long week working around the neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG-0875.jpg  
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 05:49 PM   #69

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Friends with heavy equipment is always a good thing.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 10:43 PM   #70
Zu!

Hi Jeffrey, I picked up my trailer yesterday. It came with one lead-acid deep cycle inside the front box, a Victron DC-DC like yours and EMS. Missing is the solar port! Unless I’m blind, cos I’m just not seeing it. They must’ve somehow missed putting it in and I never checked until now.

It appears there’s no way for me to fit anything close to a battery in the D/S Dinette. Just no space as there’s a large box sticking up in it (unlike yours). Also, I can’t seem to find the wires that are supposed to come in from the roof.

Where did you find the ends of the 6 gauge solar panel wires?
Attached Thumbnails
80027F4D-FC08-4F68-9B70-74680CE27E23.jpg   486CB53C-B354-437D-BDBE-599FD31B3365.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2022, 11:04 AM   #71

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:

We have factory solar (one panel) and they installed this. 60" wide.

https://gpelectric.com/products/high...-solar-module/

One in the back. For second they put it up front.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #72

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Securing wires to roof of trailer

I'm installing two Lensun flexible solar panels to my 17B and I'll be using 3M 5952 VHB tape to secure the panels. My question is, what is the best way to secure the wires so they don't bounce around in the wind?