Buying a Ford F-150 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have the same pair in use on my Ram for towing the 21...work really well, had to trim some edges for perfect fit.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My understanding, from reading and listening, is that these computerized engines of today are designed to run optimally on a fuel, be it regular or premium, and to try to gain performance by changing fuel, only wastes money.
My Ram 5.7 liter Hemi is designed to run on 89 octane mid grade gas but according to the owners manual it can be run on 87 octane regular gas The engines computer will correct for the lower 87 octane fuel . According to Ram using 92 or 93 or higher octane fuel is a waste of money because the computer can’t correct for it , it doesn’t improve engine performance or increase mpg’s. I know some will argue that their MPG’s are better with premium fuel but fuel economy tests don’t bear that out
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #43

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My understanding, from reading and listening, is that these computerized engines of today are designed to run optimally on a fuel, be it regular or premium, and to try to gain performance by changing fuel, only wastes money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My Ram 5.7 liter Hemi is designed to run on 89 octane mid grade gas but according to the owners manual it can be run on 87 octane regular gas The engines computer will correct for the lower 87 octane fuel . According to Ram using 92 or 93 or higher octane fuel is a waste of money because the computer can’t correct for it , it doesn’t improve engine performance or increase mpg’s. I know some will argue that their MPG’s are better with premium fuel but fuel economy tests don’t bear that out
The manual for my 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost recommends a minimum of 87 octane but says the following: For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
The manual for my 2018 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost recommends a minimum of 87 octane but says the following: For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.
My owner’s manual says “The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance . The use of premium gasoline is not recommended as it will not provide any benefit over regular gas in these engines “
I think the reason the fuel recommendations are different is because you have a turbo charged engine and mine is not
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:39 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My owner’s manual says “The manufacturer recommends the use of 89 octane for optimum performance . The use of premium gasoline is not recommended as it will not provide any benefit over regular gas in these engines “
I think the reason the fuel recommendations are different is because you have a turbo charged engine and mine is not
Yup, I agree. You get the good and the bad with the turbo.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #46

Trailer: none
Hmmm . . . maybe I'll go with the V-8 instead.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:46 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
It's not necessary and you may be sorry. I love my truck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #48

Quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the F-150 engine options, just depends on what is most important to you. I think the 2.7 & 3.5 Ecoboosts and the V-8 are all pulling forum member Escapes successfully.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:02 AM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Ron... My 5.3L V8 Ecobooski with variable valves and standard door mirrors is way over-the-hill adequate with ET-19.
Attached Thumbnails
ScottsD09.jpg  
Old 07-18-2018, 11:43 AM   #50

During my research I came across this video. FWIW, which engine would a Ford mechanic choose?

Old 07-18-2018, 11:47 AM   #51

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Those look like a decent and firmly attached add on towing mirror. A great solution for those with standard mirrors.
I thought the same thing about those and if I don't end up with extending ones I'd certainly consider them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 PM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
During my research I came across this video. FWIW, which engine would a Ford mechanic choose?

Great, now to try and find a hitch for my 5.0 GT
Old 07-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #53
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Rather than watch within the EscapeForum, go watch it on YouTube... then read the comments. Remember too: Published on Jun. 23, 2017
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #54

Quote:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the F-150 engine options, just depends on what is most important to you. I think the 2.7 & 3.5 Ecoboosts and the V-8 are all pulling forum member Escapes successfully.
I agree that all the Ford engines are probably adequate for any of the Escape models. My concern are the statements made that Ford "recommends" higher octane in the EcoBoost engines under certain conditions, apparently towing being one of them. If you blow a turbo, could Ford somehow use the fact that you are towing and not using the recommended octane come back to bite you (assuming they could prove that)?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #55

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I'm at 90k on my 3.5 EB, about half towing. It's never seen premium although the manual calls for it under certain condition. No need to worry about the warranty if I blow a turbo at this point.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:56 PM   #56

Quote:
I agree that all the Ford engines are probably adequate for any of the Escape models. My concern are the statements made that Ford "recommends" higher octane in the EcoBoost engines under certain conditions, apparently towing being one of them. If you blow a turbo, could Ford somehow use the fact that you are towing and not using the recommended octane come back to bite you (assuming they could prove that)?
They aren't recommending, just stating you will get better performance which seems obvious as long as the engine can use the added octane. Donna indicated she does not use premium and I think she is towing her 5.0 with a 2.7EB. If you are towing a 10,000 lbs trailer through the mountains, its probably better to spend a couple of bucks and put in premium at that point but I really doubt it is necessary for an Escape.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #57

Quote:
They aren't recommending, just stating you will get better performance which seems obvious as long as the engine can use the added octane. Donna indicated she does not use premium and I think she is towing her 5.0 with a 2.7EB. If you are towing a 10,000 lbs trailer through the mountains, its probably better to spend a couple of bucks and put in premium at that point but I really doubt it is necessary for an Escape.
So I just found this on the Ford F150 forum which talks about fuel requirements. Not sure how old it is but the way I read it, it sounds as if you are not using the recommended octane for the conditions, it could violate the warranty.

I'm not trying to be argumentative on this issue, just trying to get as many facts as I can before deciding on an engine, and I'd rather not have to purchase higher octane fuel while towing. I'm a Chevy guy for the most part and know little about Ford products.
Attached Thumbnails
Fuel.jpg  
Old 07-18-2018, 02:32 PM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
just trying to get as many facts as I can before deciding on an engine, and I'd rather not have to purchase higher octane fuel while towing.
Me too, but it's going to be the 2.7 no matter if it's a bare bones or loaded up truck.

I've always switched to mid or premium grade in my Ranger on the fill before a known long hard climb. That's on the belief that the knock sensor will be less likely to kick in and retard the timing.

I don't have any problem with occasionally, before heavy duty climbs, topping up with premium.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:35 PM   #59

Quote:
So I just found this on the Ford F150 forum which talks about fuel requirements. Not sure how old it is but the way I read it, it sounds as if you are not using the recommended octane for the conditions, it could violate the warranty.

I'm not trying to be argumentative on this issue, just trying to get as many facts as I can before deciding on an engine, and I'd rather not have to purchase higher octane fuel while towing. I'm a Chevy guy for the most part and know little about Ford products.
What I posted above was a copy/paste from the 2018 manual.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #60

Another "easy" solution is to just go to the F-250 with the diesel, then you wont have to worry about octane. The F-250 should be enough to tow most Escapes.