Converting shore power to household outlet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-14-2020, 11:17 AM   #1

Trailer: Trailer: Escape 19'
Send a message via Skype™ to debedb
Converting shore power to household outlet

Hello

This is not strictly an Escape question, I suppose... But the shore cord has this female end:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cord-female-1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	48650

and this male end:

Name:	cord-male-1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	48651

I would like to be able to plug a household male prong directly into the shore power (not through the Escape system) and therefore am wondering if there's an adapter that has a female household socket on one end, and as male end either the male plug above (that goes into the shore power) or the male that fits the female socket of the shore cord (that is, the one that is on escape):

Name:	trailer-male-1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	48653

Or, at the very least, what are the proper names for these. I thought I found one in Home Depot, but it turned out not to fit (a few mm smaller, though the prongs looked correctly).

TIA.
debedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 11:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by debedb View Post
Hello

This is not strictly an Escape question, I suppose... But the shore cord has this female end:

Attachment 48650

and this male end:

Attachment 48651

I would like to be able to plug a household male prong directly into the shore power (not through the Escape system) and therefore am wondering if there's an adapter that has a female household socket on one end, and as male end either the male plug above (that goes into the shore power) or the male that fits the female socket of the shore cord (that is, the one that is on escape):

Attachment 48653

Or, at the very least, what are the proper names for these. I thought I found one in Home Depot, but it turned out not to fit (a few mm smaller, though the prongs looked correctly).

TIA.
I use one of these with an extension cord. The dogleg takes the strain off of the trailer connection. I use a 12 gauge 50' extension cord currently - it could be longer if I needed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords..._t1_B07RFGZWHL
Attached Thumbnails
cord.jpg  
Old 07-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #3

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
The plug with the three slot looking blades is a NEMA L6-30P (meaning locking 208/240/1)

The plug with the two blades and a pin is a NEMA 6-30P.

NEMA is not a brand name but a Code name.

Google search “NEMA CHART”
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Escape used to provide 2 adapters, black for 30 to 15 amp situations? did you receive 2 little rubber plugs you do not know what they are for? Also please update your avatar to show year of Escape. if you want support help here on the forum we need to know what year and model Escape you own, thanks.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I use one of these with an extension cord. The dogleg takes the strain off of the trailer connection. I use a 12 gauge 50' extension cord currently - it could be longer if I needed it.

https://www.amazon.com/Leisure-Cords..._t1_B07RFGZWHL

Yes, I've seen those -- but what I'm looking for is the reverse: the household is a female socket, and the lockable 3-prong is male.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Yes, I've seen those -- but what I'm looking for is the reverse: the household is a female socket, and the lockable 3-prong is male.
Inquisitive minds want to know, how will this be used?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:41 PM   #7

Somerhink like this ? or this
Attached Thumbnails
817+RudJ-LL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg   81VFmx7xYLL._AC_UL640_QL65_.jpg  
Old 07-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #8

With the second option you could just use a 15 amp extension cord and by pass your factory cord. But you will be limited to 15 amp max. not 30!
Old 07-14-2020, 03:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
The plug with the three slot looking blades is a NEMA L6-30P (meaning locking 208/240/1)

Thanks -- but are you sure -- the female (receptacle) one says L5-30R on it

Quote:

NEMA is not a brand name but a Code name.

Google search “NEMA CHART”

Great thank you!
Old 07-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Not sure what you are trying to do, or what you mean by not going through the Escape system, but the locking 120V/30 amp male is a NEMA L5-30P. The L5-30 R is the female receptacle. While the standard is devices designed to attach to a 10/3 flexible cord, there are also versions that are called inlets (the type used on the removable cord Escapes), and flush mount NEMA L5-30R female receptacles.

If you explain what you are trying to do, it might be easier to come up with the connectors that will do what you want. Be aware that is is dangerous to configure a combination that results in a live, open male connector...
Old 07-14-2020, 06:32 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
BwE"]flush mount NEMA L5-30R female receptacles.[/URL]

If you explain what you are trying to do, it might be easier to come up with the connectors that will do what you want. Be aware that is is dangerous to configure a combination that results in a live, open male connector...
I'll second that Jon. I really don't know what a "household male prong" is.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
The plug with the two blades and a pin is a NEMA 6-30P.
This won't matter to the original question, but that 30 amp plug used on RVs is not a NEMA 6-30, it is a NEMA TT-30.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:46 PM   #13

Is the intention to use the Escape's shore power cord as an extension cord, without involving the Escape itself, to plug in stuff which has a common household plug on it? If so, then you can use an L5-30P to 5-15R adapter; just do a web search, but here's an example:
https://www.corddepot.com/shop/power...rator-adapter/
Old 07-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This won't matter to the original question, but that 30 amp plug used on RVs is not a NEMA 6-30, it is a NEMA TT-30.

Thank you, Brian. (you stopped my screaming at the screen!)
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Talking adapter

WallyWrld has a simple black rubber adapter..just about as big as a std plug..plug yer 30 into the female side and the male side is 20 amp size..I have 2..in case I lose one. Also bought one to plug 30 into 50..in case I find a 30 socket kaput at a CG.
Be sure to wear a mask in WW (sarc off)
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
WallyWrld has a simple black rubber adapter..just about as big as a std plug..plug yer 30 into the female side and the male side is 20 amp size..I have 2..in case I lose one. Also bought one to plug 30 into 50..in case I find a 30 socket kaput at a CG.
Be sure to wear a mask in WW (sarc off)
Yes, those are common for plugging the trailer's TT-30 cord plug into an ordinary household 5-15 receptacle, but that's the opposite of what is wanted...

Quote:
I would like to be able to plug a household male prong directly into the shore power (not through the Escape system) and therefore am wondering if there's an adapter that has a female household socket on one end, and as male end either the male plug above (that goes into the shore power) or the male that fits the female socket of the shore cord (that is, the one that is on escape)...
Quote:
Old 07-16-2020, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
I would like to be able to plug a household male prong directly into the shore power (not through the Escape system) and therefore am wondering if there's an adapter that has a female household socket on one end, and as male end either the male plug above (that goes into the shore power) or the male that fits the female socket of the shore cord (that is, the one that is on escape)
If you go directly to the shore power outlet at a campsite, you need a TT-30 plug end for that, and the 5-15 receptacle on the other end. I would not expect to be able to find that, because it would be rare for anyone to need it. Usually when someone wants to plug into campsite power without going through an RV, they plug into the regular 5-15 (household style) receptacle which is usually provided.

The adapter which I mentioned earlier (L5-30 to 5-15) for use with the detachable shore power cord is available because the L5-30 (locking 30-amp 120 volt) receptacle is often found on generators.

All of these connection types and other common types are shown in this illustration used by the Wikipedia page for NEMA connections:
Old 07-16-2020, 07:17 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I really don't know what a "household male prong" is.
It would presumably be a NEMA 5-15P connector.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Maybe, but to me "household" and "male prong" don't go together. To me "household" and "receptacle", which is female, go together. But as they say, whatever.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:47 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Exclamation ??

I'm now more confuscated than b4. OK..a regular household female receptacle has 3 prong-acceptors: ..two slots and a round of ground..or ground of round. A simple male plug may have two flat blades above a round of ground [or ground of round] or only 2 flats and no ground ,..therefore being called a gelded male plug..or not. The confusion thus continues when one needs to plug a std male plug of 30 amp size into a std household female receptacle, which has no bent blades. One therefore needs a special adaptor, currently unavailable at Wally world..whether u wear a mask or not.
Now if one is at a campsite and the power post 's 20 amp female receptacle is hot, but the 30 amp is cold...one could plug in a std or gelded male pug..at the other end of which wd be a std female receptacle plus a std 30 amp female receptacle, if one had such a Rube Glodenstein adaptor..then one could go ahead and plug in his std 30 amp plug into his adaptor, and get 20 amp service directly into his Escape pod..wh of course wud not be beefy enuf power up his AC and MW and hair dryer or TV. See?
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cord, electrical, power