Emergency window clarification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2023, 12:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Emergency window clarification

I’m confused…the emergency exit window in our 19’ Escape says “EXIT FOR EMERGENCY USE ONLY.” And yet, the window has a screen and a notched handle for holding the window open for ventilation. This is a very mixed message.

When I read past comments, I see that many Escape owners use the emergency exit window for ventilation.

Are there any negative consequences to using the emergency exit window for ventilation? If so, what are they?

Thank you for clearing up this muddy situation for me.
Lisajanrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Emergency exit window

Our E21 has a similar emergency exit window. We use that window for ventilation all the time. We found that the arm with the plastic end on it does not stay latched in place very well when the ee window is open so we drilled a small hole in it and through the plastic on the window so that we could place a pin to hold the ee window open. Not my original idea and many others have done this minor mod in the past. When the window is closed, the pin is removed so the ee function of the window is undisturbed.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
You should count yourself really lucky that you have it. Owners with the new style are having to find ways to keep the window open and screen it.

It's a great window for cross ventilation.

Or you could use it for a flower box. Just kidding but I made a platform to hold an A/C if ever needed.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2015 3-49-32 PM_0005_resize.jpg   21-05-2015 3-50-06 PM_0006_resize.jpg   21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 03:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisajanrose View Post
Are there any negative consequences to using the emergency exit window for ventilation? If so, what are they?
No negative consequences. The emergency window in your 2019 Escape 19 is designed to be used for ventilation. More recent Escapes they changed the emergency window to one that isn't specifically designed to be used for ventilation like yours is. Ventilate away!!!

It is the fact that there is a difference between your emergency window and more recent emergency windows that muddies the information about using emergency windows for ventilation.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 E19
The "new style" emergency framed window installed in my March 2023 built E19 is clearly not intended for ventilation.

I have only ever attempted to open that window once, the evening after taking delivery. When I did, the whole sash separated from perimeter window frame and fell to the ground...during a rain storm, of course! Fortunately it was undamaged, and I was able to reinstall/secure it without too much trouble....after a campsite neighbour lent me a step stool.

I have no intention of opening that window again, unless there is a legitimate emergency.

I configured my trailer with the optional frameless split venting rear window. I find this combined with the conventional sliding framed side window (on the opposite wall to the emergency window) provides ample ventilation in the bedroom area.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I don't know why you had that problem. My friend just got his new 17B with the new style window. It opens and closes without any problem. He has to prop it open, no biggie. He also had to add a mesh screen that is removable.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 07:53 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
We have a 17B and use the window for ventilation. However that said it is right above the hot water tank and notice the exhaust from the tank is drawn into the trailer if it’s running with the window open. We always check the hot water has been turned off before bed. We have the full time double bed so our head is right at the window. Nice for sleeping but not if the hot water was left on !

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:17 PM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We were informed by ETI during production of our 2022 21C that the Screened Emergency Window was no longer available and they were switched to the non-screened version.

This was very disappointing as we wanted cross ventilation in our dinette so I called ETI and got the part number for the Screened Emergency Window and called and ordered it from Lippert.

After getting our 21C I removed the non screened version and installed the Screened Emergency Window myself. Super easy.

L.O.V.E. it! Can't imagine sitting at the dinette without it.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 21C 2023. Previous 2019 17B
Can you give more details about your replacement window? We have a new 21C and I’m trying to solve this issue too
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 05:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Can you give more details about your replacement window? We have a new 21C and I’m trying to solve this issue too
To remove the existing window you need to remove the blinds and the valance. Then remove the interior screws on the interior window frame. From there the window will push outward with a little help on the outside by releasing the casketing that sticks a bit to the fiberglass. Not a lot but enough that you will want to gently release it.

Installing the new window you will need to buy some D-Shaped casketing material and install it. From there it's just the reverse of the above.

It was very easy and the whole process to about an hour from start to clean up.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
.... It was very easy and the whole process to about an hour from start to clean up.
Can you share info about the purchase process with Lippert (how did you make contact and order), including the PN for the replacement window?

Thanks!
Old 08-24-2023, 09:22 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Only two complaints with the "Emergency window" in our 15A: The weatherstripping tears and AFAIK isn't available any longer to replace (known issue) and the inability to open it for partial ventilation (between full open and full closed). Just seems to be a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" design with much room for improvement to serve both purposes.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
Only two complaints with the "Emergency window" in our 15A: The weatherstripping tears and AFAIK isn't available any longer to replace (known issue) and the inability to open it for partial ventilation (between full open and full closed). Just seems to be a bit of a "Rube Goldberg" design with much room for improvement to serve both purposes.
Those compliments were resolved in the emergency window in my 2020 Escape 19. Unfortunately, it is my understanding that either Canadian or US RV standards changed to prohibit having a screen in the exit or requiring the window to completely release (or both) to make for easier egress. So the newest Escapes no longer use the window that was used in my 2020 Escape 19.
Old 08-24-2023, 09:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
.... the inability to open it for partial ventilation (between full open and full closed). ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Those compliments [sic] were resolved in the emergency window in my 2020 Escape 19.
TTMartin - how are you able to partially open your 2020 emergency window without having the actuator bar project into the seating area? Maybe an interior pic of your emergency window partially open?
Old 08-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
TTMartin - how are you able to partially open your 2020 emergency window without having the actuator bar project into the seating area? Maybe an interior pic of your emergency window partially open?
I consider the standard position as partially open. I assume fully open is as depicted in this previously posted photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	21-05-2015 3-49-32 PM_0005_resize.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	70016
Old 08-24-2023, 11:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I consider the standard position as partially open. I assume fully open is as depicted in this previously posted photo.
Got it, thanks, slight communication misunderstanding, no worries, glad I asked.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:13 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
My son drilled three holes in the bar that holds the window open, including a last one in the red tab. I have several choices as to the openness of the window.
Old 08-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
My son drilled three holes in the bar that holds the window open, including a last one in the red tab. I have several choices as to the openness of the window.
Me too. The bar wouldn't hold the window open securely. Slight bit of breeze and it would slam 'shut.' Linch pin takes care of that!
Attached Thumbnails
DrillPinForEgressWindow.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Me too. The bar wouldn't hold the window open securely. Slight bit of breeze and it would slam 'shut.' Linch pin takes care of that!
Great and easy mods. Thanks!
Old 08-24-2023, 06:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Can you share info about the purchase process with Lippert (how did you make contact and order), including the PN for the replacement window?

Thanks!
I ordered it in July '22 while my 21C was in production after they told me this window was discontinued. ETI gave me the part number and I called and ordered it from Lippert.

Window
Lippert Item #V0005852632000 VEPW 30 X 20 G20 TP INS BK W/SCRN F200 -19473
Price: $476.95

Interior Frame
Lippert #V000449153
8505-4; 30.0 X 20.0; BLK 2437901
Price: $35.95

All in all with shipping it cost $531.77

As I posted before https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ndow-23255.htm l have this entire assembly for sale for $300 (has very minor deflection in outer frame) that I complained about, thinking of getting a discount since could fix it, and they sent me entire new order and did not want this one back.

Shipping windows is not the best thing but we will be staying at the COE Damsite Campground at Fall River Lake in Fall River, KS Friday night 9/15 and Saturday night 9/16. If you're interested.

It's about as close to Austin as we're going to be on this trip.

Tags
emergency, exit, ventilation, window