Epic Cover Fail - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2023, 10:08 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape Trailer 21NE 2022
Epic Cover Fail

Here is a tip to my fellow cold weather Escape owners. Don't buy a cover if you think you just might want to remove it before spring. Chances are it won't come off in one piece as the fabric will be frozen in places to the TT roof and solar panels. After four hours of trying, necessitating getting onto the roof (I know this is a no-no but I had no choice), mine came off in pieces. There is still a piece of fabric frozen into the ice on top. It was a nice, heavy-duty cover now headed to the dump. I might try putting a cheap blue tarp on the TT next winter. That's the Alaska way.
chesaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesaka View Post
Here is a tip to my fellow cold weather Escape owners. Don't buy a cover if you think you just might want to remove it before spring. Chances are it won't come off in one piece as the fabric will be frozen in places to the TT roof and solar panels. After four hours of trying, necessitating getting onto the roof (I know this is a no-no but I had no choice), mine came off in pieces. There is still a piece of fabric frozen into the ice on top. It was a nice, heavy-duty cover now headed to the dump. I might try putting a cheap blue tarp on the TT next winter. That's the Alaska way.

Yes, when frozen, ice tends just shakes off a tarp most of the time, If not starting to fall apart. That's all I put on mine. I used the heavier silver one, just on the roof 10'X20', so I could still get in it.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
That is all I use and it is easy to clear the snow off after a snowfall. I like having it cover the belly band and I also use a big bag over the tank and jack.

Snow is almost gone for the year and it is time to get ready for camping once again.
Attached Thumbnails
AFBD3BC9-DB3D-4D7E-8112-F4595022951D.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 11:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I use one of those car tarp ports like form Harbor Freight. I had to add extension to the legs to make it tall enough. The snow collapsed it.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 12:41 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 17B
Don't jinx it - it's snowing lightly in Penticton currently
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 02:35 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by occer View Post
I use one of those car tarp ports like form Harbor Freight. I had to add extension to the legs to make it tall enough. The snow collapsed it.

I used one over my old dog mobile Rialta, I ended up living in for 4 yrs. while I built my last house. I put the heavy metal conduct down the ridge poles & 1" Sch 80 down the side rails & built odd little tresses. Then covered the whole with a silver tarp, so UV rays would rot it so fast. Don't know what shows in this photo. I raised using buckets of rocks & to hold it down in wind. Still ended up, had to put a rope over the top & tie down to tree trunks.

But it IS still standing after 10 yrs!
Attached Thumbnails
HOME.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2022 E19
A lot of covers don't shed water - more for UV rays, which IMO is ok for the sidewalls but for the roof I'd want it waterproof. Water under the cover is what is freezing.
My brother-in-law puts a sheet of plastic over the roof before he puts the cover on and that seems to work well.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:51 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 E19
I bought one of these when I had a motorhome and now use it for my E19. Mine is now 8 years old and looks the same as the day I bought it. Has been through a few hurricanes and I've seen it with 2 feet of heavy snow on the roof. Fabric is guaranteed for 10 years and has a life span estimate of 15 years.
Custom made to whatever size you want.
You'll spend a few bucks but in comparison to the value of an Escape trailer I think it is a worthwhile investment.

https://www.tarprite.com/html/canmadeportgar.htm
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:59 PM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Plastic film

Some years ago I built from scratch a bow arch shed to store a Casita trailer in. I used a white 6 mil greenhouse plastic film that held up very well...for years. The shed was under a pine tree, and the cones would drop from on high and pinhole puncture the film, but the original layer is still on....13 or so years later. Tough stuff. A patch of repair tape sealed the pinholes.

Here's one link to the film.
https://farmplasticsupply.com/6mil-o...d36e2a0e82c4ab

They say a 4 year lifespan, mine is running on 13 years. It is sheltered from the sun, being under two 80 foot tall trees and squeezed next to a 6' tall wood fence and garage, which likely greatly extended it's life. Sold the house and moved a couple of years ago, and it's all still standing.

This is a polyethylene film; same plastic as a milk jug. A slippery film; ice is no problem.

I also wrecked a car cover with frozen water on it, removing it. Those covers are 3 ply laminates, good dry, but shred with winter ice & removal. Same materials as a trailer cover.

Pic of bow arch shed included. 6 mil film on sidewalls only. Ends were sheathed with white poly tarp, and not nearly as UV durable as the film.
with
A trailer could be wrapped with this film and provide reasonable UV protection and be water protected.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0303.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote