Generator for a 21 classic - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 10:31 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Never thought I would say this, but I am thinking of getting a generator for my 19. Primarily for the AC, but now also for the fridge that don't work at high elevations on propane.

Anyone have experience with the Westinghouse igen2500 inverter generator? 48 pounds, 52db, runs up to 10 hrs on a gallon of gas. $599 on Amazon currently.

Another one is the Firman - made in Arizona. Heavy, but gets good reviews, and not all plastic.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:43 AM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Honda 2200i sale

Save $100 on the Honda EU2200i

https://powerequipment.honda.com/pro...RoCVIoQAvD_BwE
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
The only difference I see between the Westinghouse and a Honda is noise level, 52db vs 48db. The Firman while being a bit smaller is a little louder still at 54db. No idea about repairs or longevity.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:40 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd be asking who actually made the Westinghouse since they mostly just put their name on other's products.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:54 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
For what you’d pay for the gen you could probably get the cooling unit replaced on that fridge.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 01:02 PM   #46

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'd be asking who actually made the Westinghouse since they mostly just put their name on other's products.

FWIW Google says... The manufacturer of the Westinghouse portable generators is Westpro Power Systems, LLC, in Pewaukee, WI. You might assume that the engine is therefore US made, which many think it is. It is from what I understand made by MTD in China.
Old 06-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #47

But the fridge cooling unit works great cooling on AC and DC and everything points to failure due to altitude. Much as I dislike a dependency on generators it does seem to be the most cost efficient solution and, kills two birds (A/C and the fridge) with one stone.

Also of course must weigh price vs durability/weight/ db's into the equation.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Myron,
Elevation at Quartzsite, AZ is 879' and I can't remember your fridge running properly on propane any of the years you were there. Our fridge runs fine all the way up to 9000' as do most of them here. Your call, but something has always been wrong with your cooling unit.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 02:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
But the fridge cooling unit works great cooling on AC and DC and everything points to failure due to altitude. Much as I dislike a dependency on generators it does seem to be the most cost efficient solution and, kills two birds (A/C and the fridge) with one stone.

Also of course must weigh price vs durability/weight/ db's into the equation.
Many propane devices advise against using at higher altitudes. My propane generator is limited to 3000' in the manual, however I haven't been to any kind of altitude since I purchased it - I live at 279'. I've seen similar disclaimers in many propane powered device manuals.

By the way, gasoline powered stuff also has the same problems, at least for carburetor equipped engines - they have jet replacements for Honda generators (and I suspect others) that you change every couple thousand feet.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #50

If I could find another fridge close in size to mine that fits through the door, does not require major cabinet work, and has a track record confirmed by ... anyone ... I probably will pull my RM8551 out and donate it to Good Will. Greg, what fridge do you have?

As for Quartzsite or any boondocking site I have never thought to use anything but propane for the fridge. Ron cleaned out the orifice and it kicked in - then on the way home - nada all over again, who knows why.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:51 PM   #51

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper-tx View Post
We have a 21 “Classic” and I have tried to run the ac with a 2000 and a 2200 Honda and it was a no go with both. I did the little plug mod with the ground and common so that was not the problem. Quite frustrating as I do not want a bigger generator..

Same results here yesterday. My progressive EMS kicked it out once the AC tried to start. We are at 7000' and it was about 92 deg. (94 today) so a good test of the 2200 at elevation and temp.

I have not tried to turn the EMS off... debating that idea. I'll need to operate at 8000' feet, temps will probably be about the same. If I can get it to work, I can sell my dual Yamaha 2000i(s) and drop the weight of one of them (that's the goal ). Second goal would be to have the LP conversion for it but that looks a bit remote now.

I'll look at the jet conversion mentioned in this thread next, if I can find that.

Edit: A new main jet looks like ~$6.70 plus shipping. Need to find my exact model series now.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Same results here yesterday. My progressive EMS kicked it out once the AC tried to start. We are at 7000' and it was about 92 deg. (94 today) so a good test of the 2200 at elevation and temp.

I have not tried to turn the EMS off... debating that idea. I'll need to operate at 8000' feet, temps will probably be about the same. If I can get it to work, I can sell my dual Yamaha 2000i(s) and drop the weight of one of them (that's the goal ). Second goal would be to have the LP conversion for it but that looks a bit remote now.

I'll look at the jet conversion mentioned in this thread next, if I can find that.

Edit: A new main jet looks like ~$6.70 plus shipping. Need to find my exact model series now.
More than likely, the EMS kicked off due to low voltage. Turning off the EMS to get the A/C to work is not a good idea as running one on low voltage could burn out the compressor.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #53

Trailer: 505 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
More than likely, the EMS kicked off due to low voltage. Turning off the EMS to get the A/C to work is not a good idea as running one on low voltage could burn out the compressor.
That is what the EMS is doing. I'm speculating that replacing the main jet on the 2200 might get enough power to start/run. Then adding an Easy Start would make me feel better about continued use with a marginal generator for my conditions.

Or if I end up keeping the dual generators (or just get a bigger one), I would want to find some other weight saving somewhere else... just cuz. I'm running out of those options. BTW, I don't need to save weight but it has become a habit of sorts. Some would say obsession but this is the last in my list of things to thin down.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #54

OK, so here's the current situation: .... So I reluctantly bought a portable generator for the trailer. Got it delivered yesterday.

Unpacking, now, reading the manual, I learn they claim the generator does not work, may be affected by operations at altitudes above 2000 feet! In my extensive due diligence the last several months, nowhere was this ever mentioned. Not on the Wen website, not in the several U-Tube videos on it. Here in Edgewood elevation is 6600 feet. What to do?

OK, OK, so this issue has been mentioned, right here in this thread. I read it, I let it pass.

Wen says I can buy a special altitude kit for higher elevations, (and gulp, it should be installed by qualified mechanic). Wonder what that will cost. They say at elevations above 7000 feet the engine may experience a decrease in performance, fuel economy, even with the proper altitude kit. Not very encouraging. Am I pissed? Not yet. I have 30 days to return the thing. I really don't want to.

It’s a Wen 2350W inverter generator. I plan to fill it with oil and gasoline today and see if it fires up in the back yard. Looks beautiful otherwise. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Wenpix.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 07:40 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Take it back, otherwise it will be a pretty door stop.........
Old 07-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #56

Yeah, but first, I need to know if and what generators and/or adjustments to it others have used at these high elevations. Like in ...Colorado - ? -
Old 07-08-2020, 08:21 AM   #57

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
While I can’t speak to the Wen directly, my Honda EU2000i runs fine up to > 9,000’ elevation here in Colorado without a high elevation kit. Like all internal combustion engines, its power output degrades with increased elevation. After installing an “Easy Start” on my A/C, the EU2000i even runs the A/C at >8,300’. And... by the way... the high elevation kit should reduce, not increase fuel usage.

I’d say... Take it up high, and give it a try!
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:17 AM   #58
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
It's just a different jet in the carb on most brands. Not a huge deal -

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #59

Well I just ordered this from Wen. $6 plus $3.31 shipping. (Really hate bringing stuff back.)

High-Altitude Kit, 6000 - 9000 Ft for WEN 56235i

Will postpone the fire-up until after I install this thingo.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #60

Should be installing the high altitude kit in the carburetor when it arrives on Tuesday. Then we shall see how it goes here, and also if it will run the 11,000 BTU air conditioner. That would be an unexpected plus. It means no need to buy that pricey easy start for the ac.
Attached Thumbnails
Wentools.jpg