Generator for a 21 classic - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2020, 06:13 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 17' SD former 2020 21C current
Generator for a 21 classic

Just purchase a new 21 Classic with solar and 2 6 volts. We do a lot of Boondocking. We live in Texas. Formally owned a 17' Cassita with a AC soft start. We have a Honda 2000i which ran the AC when we needed to cool the trailer at night when Boondocking.
My question is, will it run the AC to cool the new trailer at night with nothing else running within generator hours. Or do I need a larger generator. Or forego Boondocking in the Texas heat.
In the past we used the generator when we had to.
Thanks.
md cawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:22 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I asked the same question .

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tor-16793.html

it seems some owners had problems and others did not. I going to wait until i have my trailer before i decide. But if you add this it will run it
Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #3

Thanks, I put a soft start on my Casita AC and it ran fine. Waiting for other feedback. Your "handle" is familiar, where you on the Casita forum?
Old 06-04-2020, 06:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by md cawley View Post
Thanks, I put a soft start on my Casita AC and it ran fine. Waiting for other feedback. Your "handle" is familiar, where you on the Casita forum?
yes thats me. Just sold my casita and have a 19 on order. I know when I run the air on casita all I had to do is turn fan on before i changed temp setting so both the compressor and fan would not start at same time. It worked fine. I not sure if i will be able to do that on the 19 with the digital thermostat
Old 06-04-2020, 06:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
The later Penguin Air conditioners were suppose to come with a soft start capacitor. My 2000i I would run mine at sea level on a 70-80 degree day. Took the trailer to 3K ft. at 90 F. The generator would not run the A/C. Installed an Easy Start system now everything works great and it really decreased the clunk. Pay for an Easy Start or buy a new larger power and heavier generator is your choice. I figure the easy start was about half the cost of a new generator and I can lift my 2000i.
Just my experience.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
We have a 2018 Escape 19'er, and had to make two modifications so our Honda EU2000i generator would run the Escape's a/c. We added the Soft Start to the a/c unit. And because the Escape trailer has a surge protector on the 120v AC power coming into the trailer, we had to make the simple jumper for the generator. Apparently, the Escape's surge protector doesn't allow the generator's electricity to come into the trailer unless the generator's ground & neutral are jumped together. That's easily done by jumping the two poles on a plug, and plugging it into the second outlet on the generator. Also... We use the generator at elevation here in Colorado. And of course, the power of an internal combustion engine decreases with elevation, so the elevation "de-rated" generator still works fine running our a/c.
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:26 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
My 2019 21 runs fine with the Honda 2000, I was told on orientation that the new AC was an 'easier' start.

I bought a Honda 2200 to run with the 2000 but the 2000 I have will not parallel with the 2200. Too old. I want to try it anyway but probably won't.

Should have checked beforehand but why spoil a perfect record!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
My 2019 21 runs fine with the Honda 2000, I was told on orientation that the new AC was an 'easier' start.

I bought a Honda 2200 to run with the 2000 but the 2000 I have will not parallel with the 2200. Too old. I want to try it anyway but probably won't.

Should have checked beforehand but why spoil a perfect record!

This is great news. I assume my new 19 would have the same air unit
Old 06-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #9

Thanks to all of you. I had the soft start on the Casita. Also had plug in surge protector. As I said it ran fine.
I have an installed/in-line surge protector on the new Escape. Not familiar with "jumping" the generator plug.Is this something I need to do?
I am familiar with the issues altitude causes.
Once again, thanks for your insight.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by md cawley View Post
Thanks to all of you. I had the soft start on the Casita. Also had plug in surge protector. As I said it ran fine.
I have an installed/in-line surge protector on the new Escape. Not familiar with "jumping" the generator plug.Is this something I need to do?
I am familiar with the issues altitude causes.
Once again, thanks for your insight.
While not necessary, if you don't bond the neutral & ground, the Progressive Industries protector will think that there is an open ground & shut down.

As Escape Bounder mentioned, you can do this by making up an empty plug with the neutral wired to the ground and plugging it into the second receptacle on the generator, or put the surge protector in bypass.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:05 PM   #11
Bea

Quote:
Hi 75th Ranger, This is indeed, good news since we have a Champion 2000 generator (for emergencies) and have yet to try it with the AC. I assume we have similar AC's (our model is Domeitc 640310). Could not find anything in our manual about an easy start. ETI told us our AC does NOT come with a 'soft start' so I'm thinking it may be that Dometic designed our units to internally start easier?? Hope so. If not, then we'll wait to mod our AC with a soft start unit until after our warranty expires...

Also, ETI told us if we plan to use our generator for AC, then we should turn the 'battery disconnect switch' to off so that all the power goes to the AC, and not the batteries. However, the person at our orientation told us to turn off the 'surge protector' when powering with a generator and didn't mention anything about the 'battery disconnect switch'. Just curious what switches you/others turn off when using a generator for AC?

Thanks for staring this thread, md cawley! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
[QUOTE=Bea;337988]
Quote:

Hi 75th Ranger, This is indeed, good news since we have a Champion 2000 generator (for emergencies) and have yet to try it with the AC. I assume we have similar AC's (our model is Domeitc 640310). Could not find anything in our manual about an easy start. ETI told us our AC does NOT come with a 'soft start' so I'm thinking it may be that Dometic designed our units to internally start easier?? Hope so. If not, then we'll wait to mod our AC with a soft start unit until after our warranty expires...

Also, ETI told us if we plan to use our generator for AC, then we should turn the 'battery disconnect switch' to off so that all the power goes to the AC, and not the batteries. However, the person at our orientation told us to turn off the 'surge protector' when powering with a generator and didn't mention anything about the 'battery disconnect switch'. Just curious what switches you/others turn off when using a generator for AC?

If you have not made a ground to neutral bonding plug for the generator, you will need to put the surge protector in bypass for the generator to power the trailer.

If you have the electric option on the water heater, make sure it is off. The main 12V load unless you are running the furnace is the converter recharging the battery. Shutting off the battery disconnect will eliminate that load, but put all 12V loads on the converter (ie generator). Again, in most cases they will be minimal so it should help.

Of course you will not be charging the battery if you have the battery disconnect switch off, so if you start out with a low battery & plan to use it after shutting down the AC, that might be a problem.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:37 PM   #13

Thanks all. Very helpful, all I needed to know.
Old 06-05-2020, 03:51 PM   #14
Bea

[QUOTE=Vermilye;337992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

If you have not made a ground to neutral bonding plug for the generator, you will need to put the surge protector in bypass for the generator to power the trailer.

If you have the electric option on the water heater, make sure it is off. The main 12V load unless you are running the furnace is the converter recharging the battery. Shutting off the battery disconnect will eliminate that load, but put all 12V loads on the converter (ie generator). Again, in most cases they will be minimal so it should help.

Of course you will not be charging the battery if you have the battery disconnect switch off, so if you start out with a low battery & plan to use it after shutting down the AC, that might be a problem.
Very helpful, Vermilye! Thanks for your quick reply! -Bea
Old 06-05-2020, 04:04 PM   #15

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Here's a couple of pictures of the ground to neutral jumper I made for my Honda EU2000i so that the Escape trailer's surge protector would let the Honda's electricity in.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5649.jpg   IMG_5648.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:18 PM   #16

Greg, a very easy fix. We are in Boulder very often. My son and his family live just off University. When camping we stay at St. Varian's. Nothing seems to be closer.
Old 06-05-2020, 06:34 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeBoulder View Post
Here's a couple of pictures of the ground to neutral jumper I made for my Honda EU2000i so that the Escape trailer's surge protector would let the Honda's electricity in.
Micro-Air who makes the EasyStart kits also sells a generator bonding plug. One could probably make one much cheaper but here it is anyhow.
https://www.microair.net/products/ge...12272654155860
Old 06-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #18

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Amazon also sells the plug.
Curious Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 07:25 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

I didn't turn off the battery switch if my batteries were fully charged(solar). I would have if they were not charged.

Leaving for a week or so fishing trip tomorrow morning and will try my new Honda 2200 with the converter running too. My solar won't be very effective where I'm going. Full shade.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #20
Bea

Quote:
I didn't turn off the battery switch if my batteries were fully charged(solar). I would have if they were not charged.

Leaving for a week or so fishing trip tomorrow morning and will try my new Honda 2200 with the converter running too. My solar won't be very effective where I'm going. Full shade.
Got it - makes perfect sense. Hope you have a fantastic fishing trip! -Bea