Interesting Observation on 5.0’s ?? Anyone ever notice? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2023, 03:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Interesting Observation on 5.0’s ?? Anyone ever notice?

I’m not sure if this have ever been noticed or talked about? Sometimes my OCD gets the best of me lol. When painting the framework under the bed area on my 2020 5.0 TA I had noticed that the fiberglass body “sits” offset on the framework that is under the bed area yet appears and measures mostly straight when looking at the downwards of the frame on either side of the propane compartment.

I will attach some pictures for all to see! At first I thought maybe this was an error at the factory when they mated the fiberglass to the frame but when I attended the Niagara Wine event in Canada last weekend I was able to confirm that this is normal! To some degree….I only looked at one older 5.0 (I think it was a 2017? And it was spot on….the 2019, 2021, 2022 models were offset just like my 2020.

Can anyone speculate why this may have been made this way? Or do you know?

Pics to show what I mean…..if others can chime in and note what they have, that would be interesting, I don’t know why it would be interesting but it would, lol……

Let me explain what you are seeing:
The distance between the downward frame sections on either side of the propane compartment measures approx 15” on mine…that’s both sides so it seems “square” and “centered”

Now on the passenger side of the camper from the frame to the “hump” in the fiberglass there is only 2” and on the driver side from the frame to the “hump” in the fiberglass it measures 3.5”

A good 1.5” off center.

Thoughts of the day……carry on……..
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5887.jpg   IMG_5888.jpg   IMG_5886.jpg  
Suregrip391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
That's interesting. I'll have to check ours out next week when I pick up for our next trip. Being proudly OCD, I'm surprised I didn't catch it if it is indeed off-center. I may have to turn in my OCD card.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 04:21 PM   #3

Ohh it’s a curse! I wish I never joined that club! Somehow I just ended up there……haha
Old 09-20-2023, 04:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Not having a 5.0 I don't pay too much attention to things that are 5.0 specific.

But I'm pretty sure that there's been a previous thread about this and even an explanation.

I should point out, from a towing perspective that it's irrelevant. All that's important is the distance from the pin to the rear axle is equidistant on both sides.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 04:36 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Not having a 5.0 I don't pay too much attention to things that are 5.0 specific.

But I'm pretty sure that there's been a previous thread about this and even an explanation.

I should point out, from a towing perspective that it's irrelevant. All that's important is the distance from the pin to the rear axle is equidistant on both sides.

Ron
Oh geeze! Now something else to lose sleep over and measure when the 5.0 is back in the driveway.
Old 09-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I'd assume that their welding fixture has some play in it. Not a lot of tight tolerances to be concerned with.

Now,,, my OCD wants to go out and check how my 21C sits on the frame at the front and back. I dare not look because I will lose sleep for days if it is.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 05:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Oh geeze! Now something else to lose sleep over and measure when the 5.0 is back in the driveway.
You probably don't have to measure anything. Look at your tires, normal even wear? No worries.

Maybe someone who'd been around for awhile will recall the previous thread and the explanation.

Ron
Old 09-20-2023, 05:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
Guess I’d better go crawl u dear my 21 n start checking things but then I need a good nap.No place better than u dear the 21 no phone n other half stays away when I’m “ working on her trailer”. Lol
Old 09-20-2023, 05:48 PM   #9

Quote:
You probably don't have to measure anything. Look at your tires, normal even wear? No worries.

Maybe someone who'd been around for awhile will recall the previous thread and the explanation.

Ron
The tires on mine are original still and are wearing perfectly even…no issues with that.

You’re right, you won’t have to measure since the the distance is super noticeable by eye.
Old 09-20-2023, 06:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
This is something that all the new mold 5.0TA's 2017 and newer have. Some worse than others. The story was that the fiberglass mold being hand made is a tinny bit off to one side on the front nose of the 5.0TA. I expect there is also some small variation in the frames which either fixes it, is neutral, or compounds it.

Our 2018 is about the same as yours.

It's hand made, so is the frame, we don't worry about it.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 08:33 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
2023 5.0 TA
I just measured mine at the very front of the frame to body.
The offset between the two is almost 1 1/2 inches
Passenger side 1 1/8” +/-
Driver side. 2 1/2” +/-

The reason is a old Indian tradition.
You always leave a mistake for the evil spirts to escape.
Hence the name Escape trailer.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 09:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:

Ron
I was being mildly dramatic for humor sake. Our 5.0 tracks true and the tires wear even. Not at all worried about it.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Mine is off by about 2 inches.

I emailed Dustin about this when we got the trailer back in 2021. His reply was that this offset was by design and was perfectly normal. He had no explanation as to why it was designed this way.

I have looked at a couple of newer 5.0TAs and all had an offset to some degree. However on a 2015 5.0TA that I checked out the loft was perfectly centered on the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
loftframeds.jpg   loftframeps.jpg  
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2023, 10:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepaweb View Post

I have looked at a couple of newer 5.0TAs and all had an offset to some degree. However on a 2015 5.0TA that I checked out the loft was perfectly centered on the frame.
This thread is deja vu for me. Funny how something exists for quite awhile before someone comments on it. Then time goes by and it's never mentioned until someone suddenly notices it again.

The molds for the shells come from plugs. A plug is an exact size shape of the finished shell. Unless it's a smaller part it's not done on a CNC machine but hand made. While symmetry is desirable it's probably never 100% achieved on an object as large as a 5.0 plug.

So put away your measuring tapes, it is what it is. Or at least until the next time someone notices it.

Ron
Old 09-20-2023, 11:06 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Ron, Thanks for the explanation of how the molds are made. This is the response I wish I would have gotten from ETI a couple of years ago.
Since I have never experienced any problems related to the offset I never really followed up on the issue but have always been curious as to why it was there.
nepaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I would imagine the OCD people wig out looking at the spare tire mounted on the rear of their ETI built trailers. It bugged me for about.... 10 minutes. I have a R&T built 5.0TA and figured they knew what they were doing.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2023, 07:37 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
That's interesting. I'll have to check ours out next week when I pick up for our next trip. Being proudly OCD, I'm surprised I didn't catch it if it is indeed off-center. I may have to turn in my OCD card.
I am happy to report I do not have to turn in my OCD card. Brought the 5.0 home today and measured the body to frame aspect. The body is dead-center on the frame. Whew!
Old 09-27-2023, 11:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’m not gonna look.

I’m not gonna look.

I’m not gonna….

I’ll check tomorrow
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 07:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I would imagine the OCD people wig out looking at the spare tire mounted on the rear of their ETI built trailers. It bugged me for about.... 10 minutes. I have a R&T built 5.0TA and figured they knew what they were doing.
I'm not sure what you mean about the spare tire but I certainly agree that Reace and Tammy put out a top tier product.

BTW I looked at the front of my 5.0TA on a recent trip and it was even to my eye.
Old 09-30-2023, 08:53 AM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean about the spare tire but I certainly agree that Reace and Tammy put out a top tier product.
This, off center. NMP
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote