Li-thiiii-um.... continued. - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2022, 09:39 PM   #121

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Where do you plan to connect the two power wires for the Victron Smart Shunt?
Old 01-28-2022, 10:13 PM   #122
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
Where do you plan to connect the two power wires for the Victron Smart Shunt?
the main +12V wire is connected to the red terminal strip which is directly attached to both batteries by way of 100A fuses and fairly short #4 gauge wires. the other 'aux' one, if I find the temp sensor it came with, I'll tape that between the batts and configure it as a temp sensor.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:22 PM   #123
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
actually, I'm thinking of replacing the original battery external vent with a waterproof connector box, and having a dual powerpole in there, fused for 30 amps or so.
and, hmmmm. not finding much in the way of waterproof marine style DC connectors for more than 1-2 amps. thinking of getting weird, and using a AC style twist-lock receptacle, clearly labeled 12V DC, and making a breakout box with a pigtail with the plug, and a variety of powerpole, USB, and cigar outlets. maybe a 'smartplug' like this, but yeesh, expensive. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smart...58?recordNum=3
Old 01-28-2022, 11:27 PM   #124

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and, hmmmm. not finding much in the way of waterproof marine style DC connectors for more than 1-2 amps. thinking of getting weird, and using a AC style twist-lock receptacle, clearly labeled 12V DC, and making a breakout box with a pigtail with the plug, and a variety of powerpole, USB, and cigar outlets. maybe a 'smartplug' like this, but yeesh, expensive. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/smart...58?recordNum=3
If you've got the ETI original removable shore-power cord you might consider the linked smartplug to replace that and repurpose / relocate the ETI outlet / cord-end for your 12VDC purpose.

Yep, they're proud of those smartplugs but I sure like the feel of it since upgrading my ETI removable shore-power to that system.

Enjoying following your continuing progress, keep Having Fun!
Old 01-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #125

Trailer: 2021 21NE
John, I don't think charging voltage for lithium batteries is affected by temperature so I don't think you need a battery temperature sensor for the purpose of dynamically adjusting charge. If you are using the temperature to turn off charging when temperature drops to freezing, that should be built in to the battery BMS.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #126

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
If you've got the ETI original removable shore-power cord you might consider the linked smartplug to replace that and repurpose / relocate the ETI outlet / cord-end for your 12VDC purpose.

Yep, they're proud of those smartplugs but I sure like the feel of it since upgrading my ETI removable shore-power to that system.

Enjoying following your continuing progress, keep Having Fun!
I have one sitting in my garage waiting for my next trailer.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 12:57 PM   #127

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
John, I don't think charging voltage for lithium batteries is affected by temperature so I don't think you need a battery temperature sensor for the purpose of dynamically adjusting charge. If you are using the temperature to turn off charging when temperature drops to freezing, that should be built in to the battery BMS.
Temperature is important to the maximum charging rate for lithium-ion batteries, and electric vehicles carefully monitor temperature, but if the charging rate is kept low enough the temperature can be ignored... as long as it is within some set limits.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 02:13 PM   #128

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I don't know if it is necessary with the Smart Shunt, but with the shunt used with the 712, the battery temperature sensor must be connected to one of the battery positive terminals - it supplies the + voltage to the shunt & meter and replaces the battery + wire.

As to why use it with the lithium batteries, I set the low temperature cutoff on the solar controller at 34°F. The 712 is networked to the 100/50 solar controller. A belt & suspenders approach to not charging the batteries below freezing.
Old 01-29-2022, 03:23 PM   #129
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I don't know if it is necessary with the Smart Shunt, but with the shunt used with the 712, the battery temperature sensor must be connected to one of the battery positive terminals - it supplies the + voltage to the shunt & meter and replaces the battery + wire.
mine is effectively connected to the battery +, just after a foot or so of #4AWG

Quote:
As to why use it with the lithium batteries, I set the low temperature cutoff on the solar controller at 34°F. The 712 is networked to the 100/50 solar controller. A belt & suspenders approach to not charging the batteries below freezing.
so to network them, I just need a ve.direct(?) patch cable ? I didn't think the SmartSolar could directly talk to a shunt, reading the docs kind of left me with the impression you needed one of their master controller things, GX something or the other?
Old 01-29-2022, 03:44 PM   #130

John, The Smart Solar Charge controller will talk via bluetooth to the Smart shunt without additional cables. It will also talk to Victron Connect on your phone and you will be able to set the MPPT settings using Victron Connect on your phone. However, if you want to use a GX touch screen, then you may have to use network cable or USB cable from the MPPT smart solar controller to the Cedrbo GX device in order to display the the solar panels in a separate window on the Touch 50/70 screen.

I am not an expert or professional with Victron stuff but I have managed to figure out enough to setup and manage my system. When I have been stumped, people have helped me. Just the other day I was asking a Victron guy in the Big Tent how to download, modify the setting file and then upload it to the trailer using Victron Remote Management (VRM). It turned out to be easy if you know where to look.

You are getting close to finishing. Before you travel with the trailer, change the PIN for each piece of Victron Equipment from the default 000000 (six 0s) to something else. You can use the same PIN for each piece of equipment. Here at Quartzsite, my Victron Connect connects to other people's Victron equipment. Changing the PIN keeps someone from messing with you.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:14 PM   #131
Site Team

Quote:
John, The Smart Solar Charge controller will talk via bluetooth to the Smart shunt without additional cables. It will also talk to Victron Connect on your phone and you will be able to set the MPPT settings using Victron Connect on your phone. ....
good to know. I'll play with that. I'm using the android app now on my old tablet to collect stats from it while I'm playing with them, but it only can connect to one device at a time.

Quote:
....You are getting close to finishing. Before you travel with the trailer, change the PIN for each piece of Victron Equipment from the default 000000 (six 0s) to something else. You can use the same PIN for each piece of equipment. Here at Quartzsite, my Victron Connect connects to other people's Victron equipment. Changing the PIN keeps someone from messing with you.
very good idea. I hadn't bothered to do this with just the SmartShunt as it has no control functions, just display, AND I get /very/ weak signal even immediately outside the trailer.
Old 01-29-2022, 05:41 PM   #132

I am not able to use my surface pro tablet for Victron Connect. I don't think Victron equipment works with Windows Bluetooth at this time.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #133
Site Team

Quote:
I am not able to use my surface pro tablet for Victron Connect. I don't think Victron equipment works with Windows Bluetooth at this time.
there is a 'download for Windows' here,
https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-...victronconnect

can't say I've ever tried it.

oh., on another page (the manual), it says...
Note that on Windows, VictronConnect cannot use Bluetooth Smart to connect to a product. Other connection methods, such as USB, or LAN and WiFi do work properly.
so you need their USB adapter for Windows.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:46 PM   #134

Wow! I missed that. I knew Victron was working on it but failed to notice it had happened. Thanks. I will update in the morning.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:47 PM   #135
Site Team

so. got the SmartShunt 500A and SmartSolar 100/12-30. Both hooked up to VictronConnect on my spare tablet and my phone via bluetooth. I can create a VE-Direct network with either of them, but the other never sees it, I can't "Join Existing"... They are mounted a foot or so apart on a plywood board.

I am going to stick the thermistor between the batteries so I can monitor temps, and I figure if the solar controller can use that, even better. I know I can't get the PD4655Li to read it, but in a pinch, the battery has low temperature shutoff at 32F, so it won't be ruined, and if the PD is plugged in, there's a very good chance the battery is already fully charged. I suspect that as long as 30-50 amps of charge power is flowing into the batteries, its not likely to freeze inside until its fully charged, the current goes to zero, and then it cools down, and then the BMS shuts down the charge, thats ok.. the low *discharge* temperature is -22F, I hope to never ever see weather that cold again.
Old 01-29-2022, 11:53 PM   #136
Site Team

Quote:
oh. WHICH Microsoft Surface Pro tablet do you have? They have made like 8 generations, and the newest ones use a ARM CPU instead of Intel X86. only some Windows software will work on these. Stuff built with DotNet should be portable, but traditional compiled x86 code, not so much so.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:56 AM   #137

I have a Surface Pro 7.
Old 01-30-2022, 06:32 AM   #138

When I try to install Victron Connect Windows version I receive the message "This app can't run on your PC".

There is a Facebook Group "Victron Powered Camper" that has some very Victron knowledgeable people.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:08 AM   #139

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Where are you planning to install the Orion-Tr DC-DC 12/12-18 charger?
Old 01-30-2022, 10:21 AM   #140

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
When I try to install Victron Connect Windows version I receive the message "This app can't run on your PC".

There is a Facebook Group "Victron Powered Camper" that has some very Victron knowledgeable people.
I installed VictronConnect on my MS Surface and the app runs fine. It won't work with bluetooth tho. Says USB will work but I don't see a USB port. There's a port named 'VE' i think it is but it ain't like no USB port I've ever seen. Victron has a bunch of cables on their site. One of those would probably do the job.