Li-thiiii-um.... continued. - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2022, 08:38 AM   #161

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
RangerMan, I opened Victron Connect on the Surface Pro 7 tablet and it no longer works. One of the options that it gives for not working is because it is not compatible with Windows Bluetooth. Well, it was working the other day so Who knows. Although my Surface Pro 7 showed it paired, it didn't work. I unpaired it and now it doesn't show up under "Show Bluetooth Devices" on the SP 7.

I suspect this might of happened because I turned the SP 7 off last night causing it to reboot this morning.
The VConnect 'help' feature says Windows Bluetooth will not work with VConnect. I have a VE direct to USB cable coming tomorrow and I will connect it and see what happens.

I know on my phone I cannot use the phone menu to pair it with VConnect. It says it is paired but starting VConnect will not find the device. I had to enable Bluetooth on the phone and then start VConnect to pair. Works then.

I'm guessing Windows will be the same. Enable Bluetooth in Windows and then start VConnect to connect to SmartBMV. This after I have connected the cable to the VE port and the Surface.

There could be driver problems. Windows 10 and up is supposed to include the necessary driver with the OS. If nothing works, I'm going to download the driver from the Victron site and install it.
Old 02-03-2022, 09:45 AM   #162
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The page on victron connect for Windows specifically says it only works with USB connections, not with Bluetooth
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:46 AM   #163

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I know that there are places that say Victron Connect won't run on Window because of the Bluetooth incompatibility. Until a few days ago I thought that was the current status (maybe it is). Then when John and RangerMan posted information, I took another look to see if things had changed.

Look at these 2 screen shots.

In Screenshot (1), the first software listed is for Victron Connect "Windows". I tried to download it and received a message that it was incompatible with my computer (a Surface Pro 7).

Later I opened the version (5.23?) of Victron Connect on my computer. It automatically updated to 5.54. I was able to connect to my equipment and use it. Doesn't work today though.

Screenshot (2) shows the current Victron Connect app. Note that it states the app is available for Windows.

I'm not trying to say anything one way or another about what works and doesn't work because I have experienced it working and not working and don't know why.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (1).png
Views:	3
Size:	338.1 KB
ID:	60660

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (2).png
Views:	3
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	60661
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 03:23 PM   #164
Site Team

Quote:
I know that there are places that say Victron Connect won't run on Window because of the Bluetooth incompatibility. Until a few days ago I thought that was the current status (maybe it is). Then when John and RangerMan posted information, I took another look to see if things had changed.

Look at these 2 screen shots.

In Screenshot (1), the first software listed is for Victron Connect "Windows". I tried to download it and received a message that it was incompatible with my computer (a Surface Pro 7).

Later I opened the version (5.23?) of Victron Connect on my computer. It automatically updated to 5.54. I was able to connect to my equipment and use it. Doesn't work today though.

Screenshot (2) shows the current Victron Connect app. Note that it states the app is available for Windows.

I'm not trying to say anything one way or another about what works and doesn't work because I have experienced it working and not working and don't know why.
well, see the "Windows" table here, thats what I was going on...
https://www.victronenergy.com/media/...onnecting.html
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
Old 02-04-2022, 01:53 AM   #165

I agree that Victron Connect can not access my equipment using Bluetooth. Only the phone can do that.

This is what I was doing:

1. Open Victron Connect on the Surface Pro 7. Two options are shown, "Local" and "VRM". Local does nothing on the tablet.

2. Select VRM and then select the GX device that shows in the window. A new window shows the solar controllers and shunt. They can be accessed individually. And another window shows an optional choice, "VRM Online Portal".

I was selecting "VRM Online Portal" and then Remote Consol. My tablet display is then similar to the phone.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:59 PM   #166
Site Team

phew, at 50 amps charging, I measure a 0.2 volt drop between the converter output terminal and battery + terminal on the fuse panel. but the ugliest drop is about 0.5 amps at the stock battery disconnect which, which yes, I'm going to replace. its getting quite warm at 50 amps.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #167
Site Team

and, I got under the front bed platform on the 21 classic, ugh.

here's the innards of the junction box where the 7 blade RV cable (lower right, coming through floor) meets up with everything else. I'm gonna need to open up that big black mess of a taped splice, where the +12V from the hitch (black) meets the +12V from the back (fat red), and the e-brake power (unclear which yet).

Old 02-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #168

Trailer: 19 - 2021
I'm sure I have them in my 2021 E19. Those butt splices do not instill confidence in me.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #169

How about get rid of j-box and replace with terminal block inside a weatherproof box? Use ring connectors. Lots of choices to choose from.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:14 PM   #170
Site Team

k, its the skinny red wire from the top thats wirenutted onto both the fat wire from the trailer battery, and the +12 wire from the 7-blade.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:27 PM   #171

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hey John- you going to install induction too? Makes it worthwhile. San Luis Obispo is banning gas from all new homes and the studies show poor air quality cooking on gas. Plus, might make it worthwhile for all the expenditure of time/$$.

Can you estimate what a pro would charge to do what you are doing?
Old 02-07-2022, 08:35 PM   #172

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
k, its the skinny red wire from the top thats wirenutted onto both the fat wire from the trailer battery, and the +12 wire from the 7-blade.

John: Consider cleaning that up in a new junction box wth terminals as BobG suggests. Makes for a much nicer configuration and much better for troubleshooting if there are any issues down the road.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post383762
Old 02-07-2022, 08:36 PM   #173
Site Team

I have no idea how many hours a professional would bill for this, I'm doing it very slowly, one step at a time. I figure they'd charge close to double for the parts (batteries, heavy gauge wire, Victron controllers, etc).

as far as induction stovetop ? ugh, almost everyone I know who's gotten one of those has had multiple $1000 repairs that took their stove out for weeks while waiting for parts. and few if any of our pots and pans are induction compatible... I don't think they work with stuff like Le Creuset style enameled cast iron for example.
Old 02-07-2022, 08:41 PM   #174
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
John: Consider cleaning that up in a new junction box wth terminals as BobG suggests. Makes for a much nicer configuration and much better for troubleshooting if there are any issues down the road.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post383762
good idea, ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QDQRX7P
Old 02-07-2022, 08:57 PM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I have no idea how many hours a professional would bill for this, I'm doing it very slowly, one step at a time. I figure they'd charge close to double for the parts (batteries, heavy gauge wire, Victron controllers, etc).

as far as induction stovetop ? ugh, almost everyone I know who's gotten one of those has had multiple $1000 repairs that took their stove out for weeks while waiting for parts. and few if any of our pots and pans are induction compatible... I don't think they work with stuff like Le Creuset style enameled cast iron for example.
It would cost a LOT. We use Le Creuset on our Thermador 36" Induction at home. Trouble free now for 11 years. Have a dual induction cooktop also in the Transit van. Time will tell on that, yet the newer propane cooktops, with their thermocouple design vs. the simple Atwood 2 or 3 burner design are problematic.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:09 PM   #176
Site Team

we have the older (2014) Atwood 3-burner+oven. its worked quite well, although I did have to replace one of the sparkers as the wire was arcing to the stove sheet metal.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #177

Well, there you go; with an oven it makes no sense to retrofit an induction cooktop.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:35 PM   #178
Site Team

anyways, the RV ones I saw were 120VAC 1800 watts, which means I'd needa massive inverter to run them, AND my 5200 watt hours of batteries, intended to be able to run a DC compressor fridge for a week with no power or sun, wouldn't last very long.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:45 PM   #179

Yep, our 1800 Watt Dual burner Induction cooktop for the van really taxed the Goal Zero 3000X. Although we have two 195 Watt panels in series they couldn't keep up last November at Alabama Hills. So we got the GZ DC/DC charger and that sucker pumps out over 700 Watts. Don't think we'll have a problem now.
Old 02-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #180

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:
How about get rid of j-box and replace with terminal block inside a weatherproof box? Use ring connectors. Lots of choices to choose from.
Not to pull things to far off topic, but the WAGO connectors are also pretty decent, especially when you have a mixed wire application like shown.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote