New Dometic 2 Burner Stove help? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2023, 10:08 AM   #21

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Here at 9,150’ in Golden Gate Canyon State Park in CO in our 2022 21C.

Gas Water Heater and Fridge work fine on gas. Gas furnace worked fine for about 5-6 on/off cycles but now will not work. 2-Burner Dometic range will not light.

Fortunately we have an electric site, the electric heat strip in the AC and a portable cooktop that works like a charm.

Bummer as we like to camp in the mountains. Any standalone options for our future adventures?
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:18 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post

2-Burner Dometic range will not light.
With the burner valve fully open can you hear the hiss of gas or smell anything?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 10:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If your stove and refrigerator were working ok at lower elevations your problem may be your gas pressure coming out of the regulator. The regulator is adjustable. Usually they have a flat, threaded screw cap, over the adjustment screw. It’s usually finger tight or might need a little persuading. The adjustment screw is a regular slotted screw adjustment. If you gently insert a screwdriver into the hole after taking the cap off, you can feel the tip of the driver drop into the screw slot. If there’s writing on the screw Driver handle you can note its position as a “clock face” number such as 12:00 straight up and down referenced to the writing on the handle. That way you can return the screw to it’s original position. Once located and noted, gently turn the screw a fourth of the way around and try the stove. Still no joy? Then turn it back to 12 and go one fourth the other way. This process is usually monitored with a Manometer but since you probably don’t have one with you the guess, turn and test method sometimes works. Worth a try. You can always put it back to where it was and get it checked out when you get down to a lower elevation. You might have to go as much as 3/4 of turn or so. Hope this helps.
Easy does it.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-13-2023, 11:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Good advice Dave. He will want to reduce the propane pressure at high altitude which would be counterclockwise on the regulator. This thread might help too.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...o%20compensate.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:30 PM   #25

No hissing on range. Frig and Water heater work on gas. Range and Heater will not work on gas.

We have one more night before heading to Pueblo. We’ll see how they work at that elevation.

It’s not a show stopper since cook outside 99% of the time and we have all electric sites they remainder of the trip.

Just part of the adventure!
Old 09-13-2023, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
This process is usually monitored with a Manometer
Iowa Dave
Did you mean Mah Na Mah Na?
Old 09-14-2023, 07:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Good advice Dave. He will want to reduce the propane pressure at high altitude which would be counterclockwise on the regulator. This thread might help too.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...o%20compensate.
I have since learned that regulators are not consistent in their design. Some regulators reduce pressure by turning counterclockwise and some clockwise. You would have to check based on the exact regulator that you have.
Old 09-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #28

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Sounds like stuck regulator issue I had in mountains. Two screws, one on ether side of stove. Lift up and 'rap' lightly on regulator cover back left side under stove (where the LP line goes in) with screwdriver handle. Can also do this with furnace from outside access panel on newer Escapes.
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:03 PM   #29

Back down to 3760 Feet and the range fires right up.

However, the furnace still will not fire. I have two more sail switches to try once back home. That will make the third one.

Is this furnace going to be untrustworthy?
Old 09-18-2023, 03:46 AM   #30

Replaced Sail Switch. Heater works again.

Are these Sail Switches this untrustworthy? I can't trust this heater given this is the 3rd Sail Switch in less than a year.

Suggestions?
Old 09-18-2023, 07:20 AM   #31

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
There are some good furnace threads here. I think I have mine solved as a voltage issue, but I need to use it more to verify. My fixes are in my Padawan’s Life thread. There is a fairly recent thread here comparing the pressure needed to open the sailswitch. Some are easier than others. Once you get it for your furnace, I think it will work, but everyone seems to have to sort out their furnace. There’s not really another model that fits that spot that I know about.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:28 PM   #32

Given that if I replace the sail switch with a new one and the furnace works, I have to assume the sail switch quality is the issue.

I have put in a new switch that works and then removed it to replace it with the old switch and it will not work. Put the new one back and bingo, a working furnace.

I’ve actually tried all of the switches this way including the unused new ones and only the old “defective” switch are the ones that will not work.

Something seems to be routinely killing these switches. Would a high or low voltage to these be destroying the switch or simply an inferior product design of the sail switch.

I’ll keep digging but our furnace is not trustworthy on a camper that we intend to off grid with in cooler weather.
Old 09-18-2023, 12:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Given that if I replace the sail switch with a new one and the furnace works, I have to assume the sail switch quality is the issue.

I have put in a new switch that works and then removed it to replace it with the old switch and it will not work. Put the new one back and bingo, a working furnace.

I’ve actually tried all of the switches this way including the unused new ones and only the old “defective” switch are the ones that will not work.

Something seems to be routinely killing these switches. Would a high or low voltage to these be destroying the switch or simply an inferior product design of the sail switch.

I’ll keep digging but our furnace is not trustworthy on a camper that we intend to off grid with in cooler weather.
A few of us have pondered if a differential pressure switch like those used on home furnaces could be retrofitted in place of the sail switch. I believe Johnny Hung successfully did it. I just can’t seem to find info on it.
Old 09-18-2023, 01:19 PM   #34

My RV Works has some really great furnace videos. Watching those I know my issue is the sail switch. He even make mention of the problem with sail switches.

But, there are some that talk about the gas valve solenoid troubleshooting.

FYI, We "just now" have real high speed internet at our home after 20 years to be able to use youTube to its benefit.