Propane/CO alarm replacement - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2023, 06:14 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Propane/CO alarm replacement

We have a 5 yr old Escape 19 and are planning to replace the propane/CO alarm-detector. What model is Escape currently using? Does it reduce the number of false alarms?
JField is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 09:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
sorry, don't know what Escape is currently using, but I recently ordered new smoke/ CO detector for my 2018 Escape 21. I didn't research propane detector, assume is still working?

I knew something was wrong with smoke/ CO detector when I replaced with new batteries and still didn't work. so I research a little and found that should be replaced after 5 years or so. I couldn't find the exact replacement for the Escape OEM detector, so after some looking I ordered the following:

First Alert BRK SCO2b Smoke and Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector with 9V battery, available from Amazon $23.47. haven't received yet, but expect it will be easy to mount, and be as good as original. cheers
CharlesPou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:19 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I replaced my smoke/CO detector last year. Pretty sure I remember just twisting it off the base plate and taking it to Lowe’s or Home Depot & got an exact replacement. Didn’t even need to replace the base plate. Just twisted on the new one.

About to replace my propane detector and I’m ordering that from Etrailer.com. I think this will fit fine: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Gas-Dete...fe/RS54FR.html.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:40 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
My 2014 has a smoke/CO detector high on the wall between the bathroom and the bed, when the original failed, I replaced it with this identical unit that fit onto the same base.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MXJ498/

I've replaced my propane detector twice now with one of these.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D32OK0
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
John, did you replace your propane detector because it was faulty or because you felt it was time? Ours tends to sound off after we remove the trailer cover but after hitting 'reset', it regains it's mind ... which makes me wonder what the 'life span' is for those detectors.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:24 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
... Ours tends to sound off after we remove the trailer cover but after hitting 'reset', it regains it's mind ... which makes me wonder what the 'life span' is for those detectors.
I'm not John, but you'll need to replace it at about 5 years time. I'm on my second in my 2014. Once it's gone.... it's gone and it's LOUD!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:45 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks Donna. I had a feeling we were getting close to the end and I certainly don't need anything else going off in the middle of the night ....

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
About to replace my propane detector and I’m ordering that from Etrailer.com. I think this will fit fine: https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Gas-Dete...fe/RS54FR.html.
Replaced our propane/CO detector in our 2010 with the one you linked. It was very easy to install. It can be installed with and without a backing plate depending on the form factor of your existing unit. It comes with two different sized plates. It has been working flawlessly.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tor-24092.html
Old 08-03-2023, 11:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by JField View Post
We have a 5 yr old Escape 19 and are planning to replace the propane/CO alarm-detector. What model is Escape currently using? Does it reduce the number of false alarms?
I'm a bit of confused about which alarms detects what. We have a 2019 21C with the propane detector just above the floor by the fridge. This is an Atwood Model LP. It does alarm a lot, and seems to detect lots of things I cannot detect with my nose, but eventually stops if I air out the trailer. I haven't tested it with propane. I read the instructions and according to those, it does have a limited lifespan of 7 years, and will indicate when that is up by a light code (flashing yellow) and tone (chirp every 30 seconds). We have not owned the trailer long enough to know if false alarms increase as the device ages. Anyone know?

I don't think our propane detector is designed to detect CO, though perhaps CO would set it off since lots of other non-propane things do. Our actual CO detection if part of a First Alert combination CO and smoke detector at head height beside the shower. That thing has a lifespan of 84 months (also 7 years by my math) and according to the manual will sound a malfunction signal every minute once it reaches that stage, but again we haven't owned the trailer long enough to have reached that. At home we have separate smoke and CO detectors, with the CO ones near the floor as CO is heavier than air, and the smoke ones on the ceiling or high up on the wall, so it would probably be better to have a CO detector where our propane detector is.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSOD View Post
...with the CO ones near the floor as CO is heavier than air, and the smoke ones on the ceiling or high up on the wall, so it would probably be better to have a CO detector where our propane detector is.
CO is not heavier than air. It is slightly lighter but in practical terms it is considered neutral so the position of a CO detector vertically is not overly critical. Propane is heavier than air so having that detector down low is advisable.

FWIW in our older trailer there is a combo CO/propane detector near the floor and when the smoke detector mounted high aged out I replaced with a combo CO/smoke detector so we are covered high and low for CO (some overall redundancy for CO can't hurt)
Old 08-03-2023, 12:13 PM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
The last time, when I replaced the detector, I wired it up using spade quick disconnect connectors. The wires in the trailer are 'tight' I didn't want to constant snip them shorter and shorter over time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 01:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
CO is not heavier than air. It is slightly lighter but in practical terms it is considered neutral so the position of a CO detector vertically is not overly critical. Propane is heavier than air so having that detector down low is advisable.

FWIW in our older trailer there is a combo CO/propane detector near the floor and when the smoke detector mounted high aged out I replaced with a combo CO/smoke detector so we are covered high and low for CO (some overall redundancy for CO can't hurt)
My apologies, thank you for that correction. I seem to remember it being recommended to instal CO detectors lower down, so I made that incorrect assumption.
NoSOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 09:22 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 21' Esacpe, Tow is 2005 Tundra
propane detector replace 2019 21c

What part # should I be looking for? Original part # not coming up. Mdl # LP-DOB Part # 31013. Y
Those #'s brought up detectors that will not fit in the hole.
dandonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 09:27 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Replaced our propane/CO detector in our 2010 with the one you linked. It was very easy to install. It can be installed with and without a backing plate depending on the form factor of your existing unit. It comes with two different sized plates. It has been working flawlessly.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tor-24092.html
Oops. I meant to link the RS44 detector, not RS54. The RS54 is a combo propane and CO unit, whereas the RS44 is propane only and less than half the price at etrailer.com.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 01:42 PM   #15

I just replaced my2011 E19 propane/CO detector for the second time, after the 2016 version warned me that it's time was done! My local RV Repair shop (Edmonton RV) had the same model in, and it was just two screws to remove and a bit of wire cutting and couple of wire connectors to install the new detector... but they are not cheap!
marklund is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane alarm, propane detector