Propane quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2024, 07:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 21'Ne F2 (on order)
Propane quick connect

First time using the propane quick connect. It seems to have very little gas flow. Hooked to small BBQ; pilot lit but burner was very low (or wouldn’t stay lit). Attached to camp stove/oven. Stove burners light but very low flame. Oven won’t even light. I’ve used the oven before with 1 lb canisters. Am I missing something?
Crows Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:04 PM   #2
pdp

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I seem to recall that the regulator needs to be removed from the appliance before it is connected to the propane quick connect. Others likely will know for sure.
pdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:18 PM   #3

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
I will make the presumption that you have removed the pressure regulator and have a quick connect and hose. If you haven't then your problem is that.

First make sure that the connections are tight any air coming in will be a problem. Turn the quick connect off and also your propane tank(s). Open the connect and turn on your BBQ, we are clearing the line, close the valve and turn off BBQ. Turn on your tanks slowly and then the quick connect valve and finally the BBQ. Any time you're using propane air in the line can happen and create the problem you're having.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Most camp stoves have a regulator and your propane setup has a regulator too. So pressure is too low once the gas goes through two regulators. Some stoves have a removable regulator and with the right Adapter you can get the proper flow to the burners. Some stoves cannot be easily adapted. Some, not a hard job at all. I have used our hookup for my propane campfire several Times after removing the regulator but actually prefer to hook it up to a separate tank so I can take it a ways from the camper. (like in a clam) if it’s raining or near a remote table.
I’m not an expert at all on the various camp stoves out there but if you list or show a picture of your stove someone might know whether it’s adaptable or not. Hope this points you in the right direction
Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2024, 09:22 PM   #5

So what can I use the quick connect for?
Old 02-28-2024, 09:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
You can use the quick connect for any appliance designed or properly adapted for connection to a regulated (11"WC / Water Column) propane source.

Many if not most appliances designed for connection directly to any size propane bottle (un-regulated connection which means the appliance has its own regulation provisions) can be adapted to use with a regulated source like the trailer quick connect.

If you post info (brand / model / link) for the specific appliance(s) you are wanting to connect you'll probably get guidance for that application. The adaptor(s) required can vary depending on the specific appliance and its regulator configuration.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crows Nest View Post
If you can find one of the rare items that comes with no regulator, you can use it with the QC. Or if you remove the regulator from most any LP-burning item, you can use it with the QC.

Personally, I feel like the QC is about as useful as having 3 extra legs would be. But some folks have adapted their devices by getting rid of the on-board regulators, and they love their quick connects. I simply bought a nice long hose that will hook right to either tank; it's not hard to unscrew the fitting and screw a different one onto the tank.
Old 02-28-2024, 09:36 PM   #8

With a hose or hoses you could use it for a propane campfire, a camp stove without its own regulator, a propane oven, a propane patio heater. Just that there can only be one regulator.

Thanks Alan
Thanks Mike

Iowa Dave
Old 02-28-2024, 09:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Like Iowa Dave said above, any stove, grill, or propane fire pit that has a removable regulator. Remove the regulator and attach the quick disconnect hose.

Pretty much anything that is made to connect to a 20# bulk tank with a hose will work.

Anything that uses 1# disposable cylinders probably won't work.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
Hi All,
Just wondering, is the qc fitting (male) on the hose side the same type of fitting as an air hose fitting that your shop compressor uses? Or is it a special fitting designed just for that coupler.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails....... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:23 AM   #11

Since the QC is already regulated by the regulator at the on board propane tanks, anything connected to the QC cannot have a regulator? I have a fire pit that connects directly to a bulk tank but it has its own regulator. So that’s not going to work? What portable propane appliances come without a regulator?
Old 02-29-2024, 05:08 AM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hi All,
Just wondering, is the qc fitting (male) on the hose side the same type of fitting as an air hose fitting that your shop compressor uses? Or is it a special fitting designed just for that coupler.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers to ya..... and Happy Trails....... Jack
Absolutely not. For that matter, the propane QC fittings come in both high pressure and low pressure, but they outwardly appear identical. A low pressure male fitting will not actuate a female high pressure fitting and vice versa. If you look at the opening in the male fittings of both types, the high pressure male fitting appears to have a sleeve, making the passageway smaller. You can get low pressure fittings on Amazon and online vendors like Tejas Smokers (correct spelling). I believe Camping World (Yuck) also carries them, overpriced, of course. Many employees at the outlets who sell them DO NOT understand the difference between high and low pressure fittings.
Old 02-29-2024, 05:17 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Since the QC is already regulated by the regulator at the on board propane tanks, anything connected to the QC cannot have a regulator? I have a fire pit that connects directly to a bulk tank but it has its own regulator. So that’s not going to work? What portable propane appliances come without a regulator?
In many cases, if the regulator is at the beginning of the hose it can be cut off and using a hose barb with a Pex crimp or hose clamp replaced with a low pressure male fitting. However, if the regulator assembly includes a “volume” lever or dial for flame height, you would have to separate it from the regulator or add an appropriate flame height control after the male fitting.

A previous post suggested you provide the identification of which appliances you would like to use on the QC fitting. You will get responses whether they can be converted and how to do so. For example, I want to hook up a Weber grill or a Blackstone griddle.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:34 AM   #14

Quote:
I have a fire pit that connects directly to a bulk tank but it has its own regulator. So that’s not going to work?
Please provide specific brand / model info on your firepit for help.

Quote:
What portable propane appliances come without a regulator?
Just for ONE example, here's a post about adapting a Cuisinart grill to use with the quick connect.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ive-25206.html

This Cuisinart grill came with a 'permanent' hose with regulator at the tank-end; adapting to an un-regulated hose with a pigtail adaptor allowing use with the trailer propane QC OR a stand-alone tank was easy and did not require 'cutting' anything - all just 'screw-on' components.

Personally I would never 'cut' a hose provided with an appliance (you may want to use the appliance as originally intended). If needed I'd get a separate 'adapting hose' instead.

There are dozens if not hundreds of other appliances which can be adapted to use the QC. You need to provide specifics about your appliance of interest for specific help.
Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM   #15

My first trip to the hardware store resulted in the wrong male fitting for the campfire in a can. I studied the hookup for a couple minutes and came to the conclusion I needed a different fitting though nearly identical. Took the first fitting back and the hardware guy who was a retired firefighter and camper who knew exactly what I needed and traded me out.
Sometimes adapting things, rerigging connections and inventing fixes is just what you have to do. And not every problem has a solution unless you consider buying a different component, “ completely changing direction” or junking out and starting over. To me a final solution that works well for us and is safe is worth the satisfaction and the time spent is just a collateral loss. But by the next week I can’t remember exactly how I fixed something so it doesn’t matter to me much.
Have a great day and keep your powder dry.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-29-2024, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack sparrow View Post
Hi All,
Personally, I would never even consider use of an 'air hose' male (or female) QC fitting for any propane application, even though the 'profile' may be apparently the same. If nothing else the proper fittings are brass while air hose fittings are commonly poorly plated steel which is prone to surface rust / corrosion which may not provide a good gas-tight seal over time. IMO there's just no reason to not use the readily available and relatively inexpensive proper designated propane fittings. YMMV

Maybe not the cheapest but FYI here's one reputable source (IME; prompt shipping & quality products as promised) for all sorts of propane-specific information, hoses, regulators, QD (QC) fittings, adaptor pigtails, etc

https://tejassmokers.com/

I'm sure there are others.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:45 AM   #17

Ok. Camp Chef is sending adapter for my camp oven. The Char Broil BBQ has flame control on regulator so I’m stuck with 1# canisters for that. I have an old Weber Q120 that I hope to find an adapter for. As always, thanks for the input.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:41 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I ended up buying one of these quick connect adaptor with regulator.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is for when The hose from the trailer doesn't work out for our campsite. When I have the portable generator with us I bring an extra propane tank and use that. If not I can pull one off the trailer and use it. Other option would be an extension hose but I haven't gotten one just yet.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 12:27 PM   #19
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Ok. Camp Chef is sending adapter for my camp oven. The Char Broil BBQ has flame control on regulator so I’m stuck with 1# canisters for that. I have an old Weber Q120 that I hope to find an adapter for. As always, thanks for the input.
Since both my Camp Chef camp stove and Weber portable BBQ both use 1lb propane bottles, they have a built in regulator. I got this adapter from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I carry an extra 20lb bottle in my pickup, connect the adapter to the tank and I can run both the stove and the BBQ at the same time. Also I don't have to buy those expensive 1lb bottles. Amazon also has a single hose that would allow you to connect directly to one of the bottles on your trailer for your Char Broil BBQ.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5XFF6F...hlbWF0aWM&th=1

Something to think about.
SRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 11:50 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Actually you ought to give the firepit a try on the QC if you think you'd be happy with, say perhaps, about half of max. I suspect it will function, only at a reduced flame and LP usage. LP grills need enough flame to cook food properly, but firepits are for show so the output isn't as important.

I have an old Weber Q100 and I've seen youtube instructions on how to remove the regulator on those. It didn't look too bad. Of course then it won't take a 1 lb bottle unless you re-fit the regulator, but that might be okay with you depending on how you want to use it.