Roof Vent Removal - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2022, 05:52 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Roof Vent Removal

As I posted a couple of weeks ago I was shocked to find my roof vent had literally disintegrated and luckily in addition to the trailer cover which isn't entirely water proof the day had been saved because I also had a painters drop sheet over the roof.

I thought that I'd remove the remains of the cover today before I order a replacement, just to confirm the hinge type. I still couldn't understand how it could have been so badly damaged. That is until I lifted one of the fragments off the bug screen. It had the strength of a wet cracker or maybe puff pastry. Put a piece between my thumb and finger, apply the most minor amount of pressure and it broke. Despite the plastic cover being riveted to the metal frame I removed the plastic entirely from the frame with my fingers only. Given the age of the trailer and the fact that it spends about 8 months of the year under a cover that's pretty bad.

At any rate I'll replace it with a polycarbonate one. Glad that option exists.

Of course I knew that my trailer was wired for an A/C and I'd seen the yellow 110V wires near the converter but it was nice to confirm that they did go to hatch as well as finding the other wires.

Any one know where they go? I suspect that some of them go to the location where the A/C would be if I had one. What about the red/black? Panel or thermostat location?

The frame on the roof is galvanized and already there were small spots of rust. Didn't want the rust spots to get larger to the point of ending up with a rust stain on the nearby gelcoat so I slapped on some protective rust paint.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0126_resize.jpg   IMG_0128_resize.jpg   IMG_0129_resize.jpg   IMG_0139_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 05:59 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I HAD to replace the same vent on Ten Forward last fall. So brittle if I looked at it side ways I think it would have crumbled more. I wasn't able to get a polycarbonate made vent, but did spray a couple of coat of Fusion on it. Hopefully that will help. It really didn't take long to replace it. The scary part for me was leaning over the roof. I really didn't like that...

I'm so glad I noticed it was bad, otherwise during a big rain storm it may have turned the inside of my trailer into a swimming pool.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I HAD to replace the same vent on Ten Forward last fall. So brittle if I looked at it side ways I think it would have crumbled more. I wasn't able to get a polycarbonate made vent, but did spray a couple of coat of Fusion on it. Hopefully that will help. It really didn't take long to replace it. The scary part for me was leaning over the roof. I really didn't like that...

I'm so glad I noticed it was bad, otherwise during a big rain storm it may have turned the inside of my trailer into a swimming pool.
Donna, was that the bedroom escape hatch vent on Ten Forward? After hearing about issues with that cover over time, and experience with other similar type materials in the Texas sun, I snagged a replacement cover a few months ago when I had the chance to grab one just to have on hand for eventual replacement. It's just the cover, hopefully the frame and lift mechanism will last longer and can be reused. But your idea to add several coats of Fusion to the cover as extra protection is a good one - I think I'll do that to my replacement one so it's ready to go when it is eventually needed.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Donna, was that the bedroom escape hatch vent on Ten Forward?
No, it was the 14x14 over the rear dinette. That caused me to really check out the egress vent in the loft. So far, it's fine, BUT I too bought a replacement lid for it because I knew the larger size are sometimes hard to find. It too will get the Fusion treatment
Old 01-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
No, it was the 14x14 over the rear dinette. That caused me to really check out the egress vent in the loft. So far, it's fine, BUT I too bought a replacement lid for it because I knew the larger size are sometimes hard to find. It too will get the Fusion treatment
Glad to hear your original escape hatch vent cover is still hanging in there....hope for a long life for mine, but Texas sun.....
Old 01-23-2022, 09:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 17B 2019
Thanks for the info, we need to do ours as well. Amazing how the sun can break it down. Always keep the trailer covered at home but last summer noticed the cover was like tissue paper with the sun. And we live on the west coast!
Bcescapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
You gotta keep in mind, we're standing in direct view of an un-shielded fusion reactor. It's crazy.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
re: "...I was shocked to find my roof vent had literally disintegrated and luckily in addition to the trailer cover which isn't entirely water proof the day had been saved because I also had a painters drop sheet over the roof...."

Ron, your roof vent lid lasted only 3 years? That is very disturbing...something I would never expect. Will be up there on mine with a can of Fusion spray today.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
The romex wire runs to the AC breaker panel area. The conductors are not connected to anything, just ready for you to install a new breaker and connect if/when you install AC.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 10:03 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Why not install one of these before hand? https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Attached Thumbnails
029365_1.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Why not install one of these before hand? https://www.campingworld.com/maxxair...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
For me the answer is: "Because it's a huge and ugly wart with no added benefit to me."

I'll opt for the Fusion paint for some hopefully extended life in spite of Texas sun. YMMV of course

FYI link to MaxxAir Original Vent Cover installation instructions
Old 01-24-2022, 11:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcescapist View Post
Thanks for the info, we need to do ours as well. Amazing how the sun can break it down. Always keep the trailer covered at home but last summer noticed the cover was like tissue paper with the sun. And we live on the west coast!
You mean the wet west coast.

I bought my Polycarbonate replacement from Amazon.ca. partly because I try to stay out of stores as much as possible.

The hatch lid is their 40161/40168 and it cost $42.77CDN and the profile of my hinge matches that.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0143_resize.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfschu View Post
The romex wire runs to the AC breaker panel area. The conductors are not connected to anything, just ready for you to install a new breaker and connect if/when you install AC.
Thanks. I've seen the romex at the converter and in a pinch I could use them as 12V power for a smaller computer type fan at the vent.

Do you mean that the two blue and red/blue wires also go to the vicinity of the converter also or do they go to where the A/C thermostat would normally go?

Ron
Old 01-24-2022, 11:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
For me the answer is: "Because it's a huge and ugly wart with no added benefit to me."

I'll opt for the Fusion paint for some hopefully extended life in spite of Texas sun. YMMV of course

FYI link to MaxxAir Original Vent Cover installation instructions
Ouch, I was just going to say that it acts as a small skylight and makes the area much brighter so I wouldn't want an additional cover.

We put in a piece of foam in cold weather and really notice the loss of light when it's installed.

Ron
Old 01-24-2022, 05:22 PM   #15

Well I don't know, hoss, but I was just up there and my 9 year old Maxifan shroud is looking good as new to me. Bathroom vent lid is equally sturdy, though a tad yellowish. I decided to wipe it down and give it a new coat of paint. Rustoleum is the only paint for plastic they sell at HomeDepo.
Attached Thumbnails
ventlid1A.jpg  
Old 01-24-2022, 05:32 PM   #16

Well I don't know either. I had to smack the one in my Scamp with a hoe breaking ice to crack it. The material still had lot's of strength and I just used some resin to patch it until I replaced it at a later date.

The E21 was so bio degradable that it's hard to describe how weak it was and that it literally fell apart on its own.

So I don't know if it was a bad batch of plastic or they changed the formula to save money but it sure was a surprise.

Good job on yours, looks good and will definitely extend the life.

If it happens to me again I'll go for the aluminum option. Although I do like the light it lets in.

Ron
Old 01-24-2022, 05:36 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

If it happens to me again I'll go for the aluminum option. Although I do like the light it lets in.

Ron
Yeah, I found this AFTER I had painted the one I ended up installing. Otherwise THIS would be on my trailer right now. https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-an...12800403102039
Old 01-24-2022, 06:01 PM   #18

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just to clarify, are these vent covers where the air conditioner would be placed if you had one? Our only non-appliance, operable vent is our Maxx Fan cover on our 2017 E19, which is equipped with A/C and it seems fine.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:32 PM   #19

Not on mine. I replaced that 14x14 manual vent with the AC several years back.
Old 01-24-2022, 07:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
Just to clarify, are these vent covers where the air conditioner would be placed if you had one? Our only non-appliance, operable vent is our Maxx Fan cover on our 2017 E19, which is equipped with A/C and it seems fine.
Yes, that's correct. While a minority some buyers don't order the A/C. In that case the hole has the 14" x 14" opening vent installed. The A/C can use the same size opening. As you can see in the photos all the wiring is there whether you get the A/C option or not. It's basically a drop in situation.

Ron