Setting up, tearing down issues - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2022, 07:12 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I agree 100%. Just do not ask me why I have 2 or possibly 3 of the same item in my possession.....
Old 07-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Forget things?
I have forgotten all my fishing poles on a fishing trip.
I have forgotten my tent poles on a camping trip.
I have forgotten my rain jacket on a rafting trip.
What else have I forgotten? Sorry, I forget...
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Throw in a 19 foot truck, a 21 foot trailer and a camp host who insisted on directing me ...
As a camp host, I absolutely do not give parking advice unless someone is destroying Park resources or creating a safety issue. I may wince or shudder, but how you park is your own business. Of course anyone is welcome to ask for help and in that case we do what we can. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best - like "just drive the loop in the wrong direction, I will hold traffic for you".
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Alignment

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
As a camp host, I absolutely do not give parking advice unless someone is destroying Park resources or creating a safety issue. I may wince or shudder, but how you park is your own business. Of course anyone is welcome to ask for help and in that case we do what we can. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best - like "just drive the loop in the wrong direction, I will hold traffic for you".
Once in a while we arrive at a campground to find the camping spaces slant the wrong way from the road direction, Rita says “who designed this campground?” And I say
“Obviously nobody who ever camped”.

A few days ago we were in a county campground with a lot of very large trailers, both “bumper-pull” and fifth wheel trailers. A lot of big pick-up trucks and some sites were tight and some mis oriented.

We were in the heart of farm country and every trailer was backed in square and leveled up. Because most of the folks there were farmers who back up 4 Wheel wagons, full of corn in the dark, semi-tractor trailers, fifth wheel livestock trailers and on and on. Practice makes perfect.

Been a while since I’ve seen a 1.5 liter bottle of Seagrams 7crown setting out on a picnic table on an 85 degree day.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-28-2022, 09:15 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Might be a good idea with the way peoplehe have become hostile lately to not tell someone to shut up, or at least be more careful and diplomatic about it.

Between the ladies in Utah and what happened to the family in Iowa at the Maquoketa park-something to consider.
Somehow this reminds me of an incident in a park as twilight was arriving. We did not yet have a trailer, but tenting. Directly across from our site a gentleman was trying to back a tagalong into a site without much luck. I could tell he was getting very frustrated. He pulled out, went down the lane, turned around and tried backing in again from the other direction, which was more of a disaster. It was then I walked across and told him I could back it right in there. He opened his car door so fast he almost knocked me down. He said "have at it" or something to that effect, and I replied, I have to turn your rig around, as the first way was the best. By this time I could hardly see, but I was lucky enough to put it right in. He was so grateful I was lucky he did not kiss me.
Personally, I do not do well with distraction, so I say ", feel free to watch, but thats all".

Tom
Old 08-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #26

Trailer: 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post

This one works for us without being a list so long we just overlook the important tasks. You may find this useful too.

Lorna

Thanks for sharing your checklist.
DK in AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 05:46 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
The older I get the more I like a checklist! Get it laminated at a local print shop for the WIN! We recently bought a winter home, 2,000 miles from our other home. Talk about the need for a checklist! I’ve got to make one!!

I also printed out the Escape winterization instructions. Also very handy!
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #28

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Easy to blame the partner when messing up.
So, is there a question here?

The posts about strangers offering to "help" back the trailer are interesting. There was a story posted on FiberglassRV forum some years back. With apologies to the original author if I mess it up too badly, it went something like this:

Quote:
When someone at the campground wanted to help us back the trailer in, I told them to stand in a particular location, behind a tree.

"But, you won't be able to see me there!" he said.

"Exactly!" I replied.
Old 08-18-2022, 11:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Too hot today

But it is an entertainment.
Attached Thumbnails
fire3.jpg  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:31 PM   #30

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
The first time we parked our Scamp there was a family reunion across the way. Probably 20 folks around a campfire mid afternoon. It felt like we were on the field in a football stadium. They were kind enough to clap when we finally decide it was good enough.

We don’t have a check list. We each have our chores and we talk to each other the whole time.

And never yell unless to avoid damage. We are in this together to have fun.

We typically have the spotter stand near the driver’s door for most of the process so that we can talk in a normal voice. Hand signals for most of the rest, with maybe a shout of “good” when necessary.

When I hear lots of yelling it really makes me cringe.

The real key is to remember that traveling with your partner in your trailer is a joy and a pleasure. And if it isn’t, get a new one. Trailer, that is.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 08:18 AM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Forget things?
I have forgotten all my fishing poles on a fishing trip.
I have forgotten my tent poles on a camping trip.
I have forgotten my rain jacket on a rafting trip.
What else have I forgotten? Sorry, I forget...
Hi: alanmalk... Last time we took the trailer out... I forgot my trailer keys!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie.
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 12:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I forgot something a couple weeks ago and made a 35 mile one way trip for nothing. So later in the day I made the trip again. These things happen fairly often as I get older. I usually write it off as “too many irons in the fire” and not enough fire. However when it’s a single focus as opposed to a list omission it’s a little disturbing. I have extra keys, extra glasses, my always in the car “bug out bag” and a few other extras in both of our cars. They save me around once a day. Back when the kids were coming up I kept a stash of candy in the garage. They would come out and ask if “ Uncle Buds candy store was open.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-19-2022, 12:38 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and here I thought it was "Uncle Dave's beer" store out in the garage....
Old 08-19-2022, 02:27 PM   #34

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
I get it ready, put all exterior trailer items up in getting underway. Wife gets interior ready, then she does exterior walk around to assure nothing has been left and i have hooked up.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:08 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
But it is an entertainment.
Hi: HABBERDABBER... Nothing like staring in the afternoon matinee!!! BTW I do the driving... others do the setup and tear down!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: HABBERDABBER... Nothing like staring in the afternoon matinee!!! BTW I do the driving... others do the setup and tear down!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I feel sorry for low timers that become entertainment for others. I know that it's an escalating situation, they already know that they're having a problem and as soon as they realize that they have an audience it's not going to get any easier getting the trailer in place.

Well, you're brave. I wouldn't fly a plane that I hadn't personally pre-flighted and I certainly wouldn't head off down the freeway towing a trailer that someone else said was hooked up OK.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote