Socket size for water heater - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2023, 06:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
Hey Iowa Dave and HABBERDABBER. Great posts - keep 'em coming! I ain't got no breaker bar, but I seen this on Amazon.

Burma Shave?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085VK1GBD...roduct_details
The holes in the tubular socket and the screwdriver remind me of parts in the factory tool kit for my 305 Honda Superhawk lo those many years ago.

Burma Shave shaving cream signs along America’s highways in the Midwest served to remind drivers that safety was important and entertained young and old alike. Each few words of the message were on their own sign, spaced on fence line posts. White letters on a white background.
Yes you’re right, it didn’t take much to entertain in those days.
Here’s an old timer:
If you pass
On a slope
You better have
A periscope.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-05-2023, 06:22 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandalice View Post
I have a Suburban 6W6DE and a 1-1/16" socket is used to remove the anode for flushing and draining.
NOTE: The 1-1/16" socket must be 6-point. 12-point sockets, in my experience, will NOT work.
Old 12-05-2023, 08:00 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
NOTE: The 1-1/16" socket must be 6-point. 12-point sockets, in my experience, will NOT work.
I prefer 6 point sockets and wrenches for almost everything.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 08:19 PM   #24

About the only time I use a 12 point socket on purpose anymore is if I have to turn a square nut on an old implement or old farm equipment. A six won’t help there.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-05-2023, 08:39 PM   #25

Poetry

. As most can tell, I am into tying old and new together, comparing notes and experiences, and sharing what I feel are humorous experiences with others. As Donna D says
“YMMV”
Iowa Dave
Old 12-05-2023, 08:47 PM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Dave there's still a few out there, though maybe not like they were. This is on Route 66.
Attached Thumbnails
BurmaShav.jpg  
Old 12-06-2023, 08:23 AM   #27
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The holes in the tubular socket and the screwdriver remind me of parts in the factory tool kit for my 305 Honda Superhawk lo those many years ago.

Burma Shave shaving cream signs along America’s highways in the Midwest served to remind drivers that safety was important and entertained young and old alike. Each few words of the message were on their own sign, spaced on fence line posts. White letters on a white background.
Here’s an old timer:
If you pass
On a slope
You better have
A periscope.
Iowa Dave
This last summer I drove through Seligman AZ on Rout 66. Heading west out of town those signs are still there. They look newish so someone is taking care of them. It was fun seeing them again after so many years.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 11:00 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Although everyone should have a breaker bar for their wheel lug nuts one is not necessarily needed for water heater anode removal and replacement, especially replacement.

The anode does not need to be torqued anywhere near as much as wheel nuts and a breaker bar may lead to too much torque. If you use a breaker bar for this purpose, use it lightly.
Old 12-06-2023, 11:21 AM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
The anode does not need to be torqued anywhere near as much as wheel nuts and a breaker bar may lead to too much torque. If you use a breaker bar for this purpose, use it lightly.
It only needs to be tight enough that it doesn't leak. Make it easy on yourself so it's easy to take out next time. Don't reef on it!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2023, 12:53 PM   #30

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
It only needs to be tight enough that it doesn't leak. Make it easy on yourself so it's easy to take out next time. Don't reef on it!
And to help with both of the above - use a bit of Teflon tape.

(I use a 27mm socket, which also just happens to fit Westerbeke diesel engine fuel injectors, should that be your next project.)
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post

Here’s an old timer:
If you pass
On a slope
You better have
A periscope.
Iowa Dave
I don't recall seeing Burma Shave when I was growing up in Alberta. How about "Brylcreem A little dab'll do ya". My big brother kept a tube by his safety razor and his Gillette shaving cream.

The 305 was a great bike. Those sockets stayed around for a while. My 98 Kawasaki came with the same. Talk of motorcycles just made me think of a buddy of mine in our university days, who had a Norton Commando. I recall him rebuilding the engine in his living room, where he had an old sign with the MG slogan "Safety Fast". Another buddy of mine rebuilt an MGB. The battery was mounted in the trunk, where it eventually exploded. When I read the electrical troubleshooting posts on this forum, I'm reminded me of the jokes about Lucas electrical gremlins. Some funnies, from triumphexp.com:

What better way to while away the lazy afternoon hours than with a collection of jokes, anecdotes and humorous diagrams depicting the joys of Lucas electrical systems? Joe Lucas — or, more accurately, the company bearing his name — engineered electrical bits for pretty much everything emanating from the UK, and the notorious unreliability of Lucas components played a key role in tanking the British car industry in the early 1980s. Make the jump for "If Lucas made guns, wars would not start," and other classics.

* The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."
* Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
* Lucas - Inventor of the first intermittent wiper.
* Lucas - Inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.
* The three position Lucas switch - Dim, Flicker and Off.
* The Original Anti-Theft Device - Lucas Electrics.
* Lucas is an acronym for Loose Unsoldered Connections and Splices

# A friend of mine told everybody he never had any electric problems with his Lucas equipment. Today he lives in the countryside, in a large manor with lots of friendly servants around him an an occasional ice cold shower...
# Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which did not suck.
# Q: Why do the British drink warm beer? A: Because Lucas makes their refrigerators
# Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb. Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.
# Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: Check the position of the stars,kill a chicken and walk three times clockwise around your car chanting:" Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant.."

Many more, along with some funny graphics, at Mez.co.uk.

http://jalopnik.com/399791/joe-lucas...l-system-jokes
Attached Thumbnails
b5c81ed45c68021e46f1280709fd30f8.jpg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #32
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anyone with a classic MG has a jar of Lucas wiring replacement smoke on their workbench. In some cases and entire gallon may be needed.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 02:36 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

* Lucas is the patent holder for the short circuit.
Lies, all lies.

Oh wait, I seem to be having flashbacks about trying to rip off a glowing red battery cable with my bare hands. Lucky I called the fire department. Although the car didn't burn since the firemen attended it turned out to be a fire claim on my insurance. The new wiring harness wasn't cheap.

I still have lot's of old Lucas electrical stuff like voltage regulators and starters etc. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get an old MG.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:53 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Lies, all lies.

Oh wait, I seem to be having flashbacks about trying to rip off a glowing red battery cable with my bare hands. Lucky I called the fire department. Although the car didn't burn since the firemen attended it turned out to be a fire claim on my insurance. The new wiring harness wasn't cheap.

I still have lot's of old Lucas electrical stuff like voltage regulators and starters etc. Who knows, maybe one day I'll get an old MG.

Ron
My Lucas flashbacks go back to 1966 and tooling around Saskatoon with my buddy at the wheel. For some unknown reason to us, the floorboards caught fire and flames were visible through the smoke. I hollered , but he ignored me and said we could make it back to his place. I was sure we were going to blow to smithereens. Anyway we made it to his place and put it out with a garden hose. We never took that car to the drive in movies, but instead opted for my 49 Pontiac due to the size of the trunk and our free loading friends. Stay safe everyone. Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 03:55 AM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Oddly, we had a 71 (or was it a 72?) TR-6 which was all Lucas, and had ZERO electric problems with it. But the guy we bought it from was a electronics engineer (actually, a major market tv broadcast engineer), and he'd done a lot of fixes, like adding Bosch (VW) relays to key circuits like the starter, the overdrive, and had done a lot of custom wiring. That car was *fun* to drive, narrow as all heck, sitting on tall skinny 185R15 red stripe Michelin X radials. the 2.5L I6 Triumph tractor motor was torquey and smooth, with dual Zenith sidedraft carbs that had been completely sorted out and setup right.

so, that car just worked. was great fun to drive, admittedly kinda scary driving next to the center wall on highway 17, and having sparks come over the wall from someone scraping the other side.

Per the previous owners instructions we ran ATF in the carb dashpots, but later we were told we should have been using SAE 30W non-detergent, oh well. We switched, and found the throttle to be a little slower responding.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:17 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 5.0
Quote:
Hey Iowa Dave and HABBERDABBER. Great posts - keep 'em coming! I ain't got no breaker bar, but I seen this on Amazon.

Burma Shave?

If your anode was as tight as the one on our 5.0, no way would that wrench budge it. Besides, you should carry a breaker bar for wheel bolts anyway.
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 07:41 PM   #37

A good breaker bar will save a ratchet head from stepping out and help keep a torque wrench from going out of calibration. In my Escape tool kit I have a little quarter inch set and then1/2 inch sockets for the bigger nuts used on the WDH mount, lug nuts, the Anode, the king nut on the axle spindle etc. with a couple adjustable wrenches and some flat wrenches for 3/8 to 3/4 I’ve been able to fix on the road whatever I’ve need to fix for ten years. I have several Complete sets both metric and SAE at home but don’t haul them on very many trips. Might come a day I regret that but hasn’t happened yet.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: DGLP... An other one, Lord Lucas Prince of Darkness!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:52 AM   #39

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE F2
Quote:

Burma Shave?

I bought one of these for task and it worked well. I also bought a flushing wand as there was a bunch of sand from the anode rod in the tank.
John From MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 11:37 AM   #40

I bet that works well. Lists of people have a problem with getting the threads to start when reinstalling the anode. That leverage and a nice tight dit of socket to anode bolt head should minimize any difficulty and if you didn’t have an extension you won’t have to buy one for this task just now. Still handy when changing or rotating tires. I do this at 8 to 10 thousand miles .when I have the wheel well open with both tires off, Rita has easy access to cleanup the dirt and tar and then wax the wheel wells with Rejex polish.
Iowa Dave