Split water hose in bathroom - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 AM   #61

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes things go wrong it's what a company does about it that makes people loyal glad I have a trailer on order with Escape!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:23 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Darned impressive. Escape comes through again.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #63

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Ain't that something!!! Just Wow!!!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:09 AM   #64

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I was just about to write a post encouraging owners to give Reace and ETI a chance to solve the problem. He beat me to it! Wow! What a great company to jump forward to create a fix so fast. ETI deserves a standing ovation!

On a side note: If it were me, I wouldn't hook up to city water in the first or second place. Fill your tank unhook the hose .... turn on water heater and the on board water pump ... use your shower or sink and turn off both. What's the problem?

'Course maybe Reace is ready for a road trip ..... :-)

Tom
Old 06-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #65

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Bravo!!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:14 AM   #66

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Ain't that something!!! Just Wow!!!
WOW Is Righht! Talk about taking care of the problem, 'Personally'! WOW!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:15 AM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
This situation had me a bit worried about purchasing a trailer from a company 2000 miles away and then dealing with any warranty or update issues. To have the owner make "house calls" to resolve this issue is pretty amazing and probably speaks to the following they have.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 08:48 AM   #68

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
This situation had me a bit worried about purchasing a trailer from a company 2000 miles away and then dealing with any warranty or update issues. To have the owner make "house calls" to resolve this issue is pretty amazing and probably speaks to the following they have.
Would not worry, you are only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Chilliwack. Think of those in southern USA or elsewhere, but Escape has built a reputation and continues to uphold it.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #69

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Would not worry, you are only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Chilliwack. Think of those in southern USA or elsewhere, but Escape has built a reputation and continues to uphold it.
Sure, from the guy that goes to Chilliwack when he is low on propane.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM   #70

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Having met Reace and Tammy the two times we were to ETI, I knew things would be made right if we ever had a problem. So far our trailer has been virtually flawless. We got a good one.

I was just reading in Trailer Life magazine, the section where RV owners have to write to get a problem solved. It is amazing how many manufacturers will leave the customer stuck with the problem. ETI is a great company with great people. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #71

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I was just about to write a post encouraging owners to give Reace and ETI a chance to solve the problem. He beat me to it! Wow! What a great company to jump forward to create a fix so fast. ETI deserves a standing ovation!

On a side note: If it were me, I wouldn't hook up to city water in the first or second place. Fill your tank unhook the hose .... turn on water heater and the on board water pump ... use your shower or sink and turn off both. What's the problem?

'Course maybe Reace is ready for a road trip ..... :-)

Tom
In this situation it wouldn't make a difference and could still have been a problem. Others have stated in this thread that it was the heat of the water, not the pressure, that made it split as it wasn't rated for the hot water temperatures. Which also helps explain why the cold water hose didn't split, which really had me puzzled.

Telling owners to wait for them to figure out a fix (replace the hoses!) isn't very helpful if you're in the middle of a trip or planning one or getting ready to leave. This situation, once it was explained it was the type of hose/tube used and not the campground water pressure, could have happened to any other owner with that type of hose. If I had known about this before it happened to me, I would have been very concerned that it could happen to me and all that.

I applaud Reace for making the decision to visit each trailer in this situation and to fix it personally. I'm glad he realizes how serious of a problem this is. I'm glad he's not being condescending about the worries of the owner and basically blowing off their concerns (which happened to me) of how much worse it could have been. It'll also be nice for the owners to get it fixed near their home or wherever they are so they don't have to haul it to the factory, pay for gas, their time and all that.

If you want another reason to be glad you're hauling your bathroom with you, pull into the rest stop closest to ETI and watch everyone get off the tour buses to use the restroom. At least 4 buses while I was there! I don't even want to imagine the wait for the ladies loo.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 11:16 AM   #72

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I was just reading in Trailer Life magazine, the section where RV owners have to write to get a problem solved. It is amazing how many manufacturers will leave the customer stuck with the problem. ETI is a great company with great people. Loren
I read that section too and I'm constantly amazed at how the same problems pop up all the time. The slides not working. Flooring warping. Front decals/cap fading. Oh joy.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
I'm sure ETI has a list of places that will do their warranty work to their satisfaction. Probably one in your neck of the woods. They can't expect everyone to be able (or willing) to haul their trailer in for work.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:58 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Telling owners to wait for them to figure out a fix (replace the hoses!) isn't very helpful...
I think Tom was referring to the eight pages of (mostly) second-guessing of the problem and what to do about it and suggesting that it might be more fruitful to wait until Reace had diagnosed the problem and recommended a fix.

Just my opinion...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:08 PM   #75

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Wow, talk about irony, they just had most of those trailers sitting in Osoyoos if they knew then they needed to fix them. Reace wouldn't have had much fun at the rally, but these new 21's are all the way down in FL, TN, NorthEast, TX, SW so it will be a long trip.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Hot and humid, too!!!!
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:27 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I think Tom was referring to the eight pages of (mostly) second-guessing of the problem and what to do about it and suggesting that it might be more fruitful to wait until Reace had diagnosed the problem and recommended a fix.

Just my opinion...
Well, I did ask for ideas on why it happened. ETI never did tell me why it happened - it was the post on this thread that told us what was wrong and why it happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Wow, talk about irony, they just had most of those trailers sitting in Osoyoos if they knew then they needed to fix them. Reace wouldn't have had much fun at the rally, but these new 21's are all the way down in FL, TN, NorthEast, TX, SW so it will be a long trip.
Nigel made some comment such as "how long ago was the rally" which leads me to believe either that other trailer's hose split there or they were told about it then. But, since a different hose has been used since at least March ....

Or they could have asked everyone to swing back through their factory to get it fixed on the way home. And then they could all see the new building and admire the new trailers inside instead of outside in the hot sun or freezing weather. And lots nicer furniture to sit on!

Either way, hopefully nobody else will be in the same situation I was in. I don't know how bad it was for Tom in Texas nor do I know when it happened (I PMed him asking for more info a few days ago).
Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #78

Trailer: 17
OP thanks for the Belly Band Rivet update. Other owners, please pass along any new info they find out to the forum for all the owners who do not live near the factory. Potential water leaks are not good. Maybe someone with info or has done the check themselves can start a thread about it.
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #79

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Hello all...

Well, this one is turning into a doozy! Just when you think things are starting to go smooth...

Ok, yes...I recognize now this was the wrong line to use. It is only the 2017 21' models that we used this line on so none of the other models need to worry about this.

Tammy's team will be contacting all of the 2017 21' owners' to make them aware of the situation and clear info on our plan of attack to rectify the problem.

The fix...I want it fixed properly, and fixed quickly, so I will be embarking on a lengthy road trip to personally look after this error.

As this is a complicated fix, and limitations to get into service centers in a timely fashion, we feel this is the best way to address the problem. I am hoping to be able to find central locations along the way to meet up with the owners' whether they are traveling or near home. Hopefully I can resolve this issue before any more failures.

I am planning to head out early next week.

More to come...

Reace
Hi Reace (or anyone else who happens to know the answer to this question)

We have a 2017 21' so we just got the email from ETI about the issue, and also the super human road trip of fixes.... bravo on the stellar customer service! Wow.

My question is about cosmetics - someone posted earlier on the thread that the fix was "remove the cubby, cut an access hole in the wall behind the cubby area, and replace the plastic tubing with PEX eliminating the problem."

I'm hoping this access hole in the wall is an interior wall, and would be hidden by the cubby upon completion?

So cosmetically the fix won't be visible... ?

and...

are there not other places that the wrong tubing was used? or is it limited to the bathroom (hot)?

thanks

John in Los Angeles.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:26 PM   #80

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Telling owners to wait for them to figure out a fix (replace the hoses!) isn't very helpful if you're in the middle of a trip or planning one or getting ready to leave. This situation, once it was explained it was the type of hose/tube used and not the campground water pressure, could have happened to any other owner with that type of hose.
Laura: I suggested to try to turn one of the water heater bypass valves (in my post #10 which I then corrected in post #18). Did you happen to try it? In our trailer it reduces the hot water side to the slightest trickle at the sink, probably due to the valve not holding 100%. This should take all of the pressure off the hot water side of the system and allow you to use the cold water side. If you are fixed now that is great, but you can still try this suggestion to see if it stops flow on your hot water side in case you need it in the future.

Some of us might not have a new 21 with the exact same condition as you, but conceptually these trailers are all very similar and we are trying to help nonetheless.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote