Suburban SDS2 LP Leak Cooktop Owners - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
ETI is looking into options. I’m sure the supply chain makes this difficult. I am working with Joldie on my configuration, and here’s what I got today,

” Regarding the cooktop, I know we are looking into a replacement for the 2 burner Suburban we currently offer as well as potentially a 3 burner option as well. I’m not sure how soon we will be able to offer these, but if you are able to hold off a bit before signing your build sheet you just don’t know what could happen.”

So, they are trying to do something different.
But still no warning out to current owners about the potential hazard?!
Old 05-27-2021, 08:52 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Many people in the past have purchased Dickinson stove tops or stove tops with ovens and had Escape install them or installed them personally. I have never heard anyone say that it was a poor decision or that they did not like the product.

I was shocked today when doing a quick search of Dickinson to find that this world renowned company is based in Surrey BC since 1932...only 49 minutes from Escape.

I understand that manufactures like Escape want to save every penny they can on a product. But it would be nice if the two company heads could get together and hack out a deal to put the Dickinson stove top as standard equipment in Escape trailers. Two top notch BC company’s working together. Maybe Escape’s sister company Northern Lite could get on board as well.

This could be a win win situation for everyone including the customer.. Dickinson gets a constant flow of product to Escape and Escape gets a quality product from a Canadian supplier less than a hour away.
Attached Thumbnails
7F1101AA-AD31-4F20-AA0B-1CF7C3F100CF.jpg   9287ADF1-4997-4CE1-9AEF-8B8D53C7E223.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
.....and if course Novakool. Who knows exactly why, however yes it's all about the Benjamins.
Old 05-27-2021, 09:23 PM   #24

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Exactly...they are 46 minutes away.
Attached Thumbnails
CE42C642-FA7C-481A-A334-0C4E63D885B6.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:01 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Subscribed
Old 05-28-2021, 07:26 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I was shocked today when doing a quick search of Dickinson to find that this world renowned company is based in Surrey BC since 1932...only 49 minutes from Escape.
I mentioned this to Reace back in 2016 when I replaced my cooktop. I mentioned it might be worth giving them a call since they were nearby. He wasn't very keen on the idea and it stopped there. By the way, directly across the River from Dickinson is NovaKool - in Coquitlam. I suggested that too, back in 2015 when the Dometic 8 series fridge issues were at their peak. At the time, the Novakool was one of very few fridges that could fit through the door on the classic Escape. That conversation was a non-starter as well.

It makes sense to me that they'd form partnerships with local suppliers of quality products - especially products that far surpass the quality of a Dometic or a Suburban - but then again I'm not privy to all the factors that go into such a decision.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Many people in the past have purchased Dickinson stove tops or stove tops with ovens and had Escape install them or installed them personally. I have never heard anyone say that it was a poor decision or that they did not like the product.

I understand that manufactures like Escape want to save every penny they can on a product. But it would be nice if the two company heads could get together and hack out a deal to put the Dickinson stove top as standard equipment in Escape trailers. Two top notch BC company’s working together. Maybe Escape’s sister company Northern Lite could get on board as well.

This could be a win win situation for everyone including the customer.. Dickinson gets a constant flow of product to Escape and Escape gets a quality product from a Canadian supplier less than a hour away.
I have been to Dickinson a few times over the last 12 years, starting with picking up a BBQ in about 2012, then picking up a stovetop, and then picking up our range in 2016.

I had talked at length to Reace about it, even before anyone had got one, and he was not too keen on using appliances that cost many times more than the ones normally used in RVs. This added cost to the trailer would make some difference in sales, to what degree is just a guess. It is not just the stove/range, but many RV appliances and components that could be improved to a top notch level, but overall trailer prices would sore. He was also concerned with the additional length of time to add it as an option, though did concede to do the stovetop for an added install cost.

I can tell you that after what I did to customize the cabinetry in my 5.0TA, I most definitely spent a heck of a lot more than Escape would have charged for the stock build, and if Escape would have even considered doing it, it would have been way too much. Basically what I am thinking/saying is that they do have to watch overall costs, otherwise their potential customer base would shrink.

Dickinson is a marine supplier and all their appliances are made with this in mind. It does make for a top quality product, for sure. They have a real tough time keeping stock as it is. I know I had to wait quite a while for my range, which was no issue as I waited even longer for the new 5.0TA moulds to be built.

While they do need to find a new standard stove, and soon, going to Dickinson as a standard in my opinion is not a good idea. They could maybe offer it as an option for those that want to pay the extra. That would appease the customers wanting and willing to pay more.

Remember too that the majority of Escape purchases do not post here at all, with the vast majority of posts from a small number of members who love to do custom work. I used to be one of those.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Travelers View Post
I understand the need for two wrenches, for not overtightening, and for checking for leaks after reassembly.
Based on this understanding I would say you are good to go. Remember to shut off your propane tanks before starting and keep your trailer ventilated (door open) as a small amount of propane will escape the line when you break the connection open. Once reconnected the stove will take longer to light the first time until the air is purged out of the line.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I like the idea of at least having the option to go for a better appliance, but I also see the difficulty it would be for a manufacturer and the disruptions it could cause the production line. I remember reading an article on the 1969 Chyrsler Three Hundred. The designers thought it would be a good idea to spell out Three Hundred along the side of the car using individual letters. The President of Chrysler at the time blew a fuse as he recognized this would add something like $10.00 to the cost of the car. The designers go their way for 1969, but not for 1970 and beyond. To me $10.00 on what was then likely a $5000 car didn't seem like a big deal. But $10.00 here and $10.00 there soon adds up.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:39 AM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
An issue with offering different appliances in a production environment, is size. With standard sizing, you either cut a hole or you don't. Offering different stoves/ovens also affects the cabinetry and perhaps cabinet door sizes too. In order to receive a good price, any production requires volume. ETI really isn't a big manufacturer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Listen to the complaints about Dometic parts and service and then imagine the wait with a tiny company like Dickinson.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Got it. Thank you for the additional precautions/information.

I am sure that I will feel more comfortable using the stove after taking it out and closely inspecting the connections currently tucked deep underneath.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Listen to the complaints about Dometic parts and service and then imagine the wait with a tiny company like Dickinson.
Good design and manufacturing is your insurance that a problem is much less likely to happen to begin with. If you saw the construction of a Dickinson cooktop versus inferior products you would know what I mean.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:08 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Good design and manufacturing is your insurance that a problem is much less likely to happen to begin with. If you saw the construction of a Dickinson cooktop versus inferior products you would know what I mean.

I had a Dickinson BBQ for a while. 'nough' said.
BTW, when I spoke to the factory about matching the price of the same Q at Steveston Marine, they told me to go buy it there. Factory price was considerably higher.
Old 05-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I had talked at length to Reace about it, even before anyone had got one, and he was not too keen on using appliances that cost many times more than the ones normally used in RVs. This added cost to the trailer would make some difference in sales, to what degree is just a guess. It is not just the stove/range, but many RV appliances and components that could be improved to a top notch level, but overall trailer prices would sore.
Agreed but that conversation was also before any of the cooktops/stoves were leaking propane. “Good enough” at the time was probably the case. Given the current state of affairs I can bet Reace would have already pulled the Suburban cooktop from production, warned current owners and maybe even had Suburban working on a fix. Propane explosions in trailers you build should quickly cause a change in perspective. Sometimes you have to ask yourself “what is the cost of NOT doing it?” Lost consumer confidence in your product, injured owners, lawsuits...?
Old 06-01-2021, 07:06 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good here and clutters up the intention of this thread. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?

The list below is those who have expressed their stove has leaked gas from a broken feeder pipe from the control to the burner:
NWTraveler
Effie
Perryb67
CarlNH
j3cub
Dee
bbbqmaxx@yahoo.com
Fun Pig
Eggscape
I'm trying to get my letter written for Karl and Melissa at Escape and the NHTSA.

When I contacted Melissa at Escape last week only three of us have actually taken the time to contact either Melissa or Karl. Contacting Dustin does no good! If you haven’t already, please call/e-mail/write Melissa or Karl, and if using mail or e-mail ask for a response acknowledging they received the notification.

To repeat, "Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?"

After I contact another Escape Forum member I'll be posting the cheap fix that will make these stoves as reliable as any other, including the Dickinson. I wish I had known about this fix before we purchased our $629 Dickinson stovetop! You've waited this long, so you can wait a day or two until I post the simple correction. AND those that have the problem can have your stove fixed with under $20 (probably less) in easily obtainable parts. Patience grasshopper!

Again, please don’t whine on this thread. It really does no good. I’m trying to be proactive, not reactive.

Thanks,

Perry
Add me to the list. 2020 Escape 19 with about 2200 miles on it. Burner nuts are ever so slightly loose. I will tighten them properly tomorrow with washers and loctite. To clarify, I do not have a propane leak that Im aware of. Just slightly loose nuts behind the valve knobs.
ziksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #37

Trailer: looking to buy
Thank you for taking the time to do the research and sharing your findings.
dana mcdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:44 AM   #38
Dee

Trailer: 2019 21'
We also had this issue with our new 21' in the summer of 2019. Our stove was repaired by Escape. At that time, through the Forum, I was aware of several others who had had the same problem. I did not think that Dustin took the potential danger of the situation seriously.
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21C
" "Are there any others that have had leaking with your Suburban SDS2 stovetop?""
This happened to us with a Suburban stove in our 10 year old trailer. I contacted Suburban and the mailed me off the new burner with pipe that same day. It took 15 minutes to replace the old broken burner. I was happy with their customer service.
Beekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:42 PM   #40
Hen

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Stovetop issue

We have a 2019 19 completed in December of 2019. We had an issue with the top valve being inadvertently turned on because the press to turn control doesn’t work. Came home to a camper filled with propane. Told Dustin about it, contacted airxcel iN TN, they sent out a new stovetop. Had it installed by repair shop that coordinated it all with airxcel. After a little use it started doing the same thing, again. We are just mindful of the problem and make sure the valve is off. Not sure if it’s the same thing but now we have a newer stove.
Hen is offline   Reply With Quote