Anyone put in a Brake control in a 2nd Gen Tacoma with tow package? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 E19
Anyone put in a Brake control in a 2nd Gen Tacoma with tow package?

I have a 2014 Tacoma PreRunner with the tow package, & see the 7 pin plug under the bumper. Since I think I read that the brake controller wire has been brought up to under the dash somewhere, & maybe some kind of a receiver plug for a controller? I don't know if someone has put up a photo of it here or not. To help me find it, or I have to order it?. Figure out if I can do it with a Tekonsha Prodigy P3. Sounds like if I call e-trailer to order they''ll help big time. I'm a "visual person" with nerve damage in right hand to go fishing around in tight places. But,no biggy, I can always wait til I call Et-trailer Monday, sounds like they are real helpful.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
E-trailer has some videos; you might find what you need there.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 11:00 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
E Trailer sells a "plug in wiring adapter" that connects to the Tacoma's built in wiring harness and will connect to the Brake Controller. The harness is located under the dash. On some models the harness is hard to find, but it is there if you have the towing package.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Your Tacoma owners manual (in the towing section) will show the location of the plug under the dash.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19' sold
On my 2013 Tacoma there was a large bundle of wires right above the e-brake. The white brake control plug was hiding behind that bundle, up a little high. I couldn't see it, just reached back there and found it after a bit of hunting.

It was taped in place. Once removed there was just enough wire to reach the prodigy wire. I mounted it right side of the steering wheel.

Sorry no pics since the truck is gone.
Happy hunting

Yep, the folks at E-trailer are pretty good.
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 01:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATHiker View Post
E Trailer sells a "plug in wiring adapter" that connects to the Tacoma's built in wiring harness and will connect to the Brake Controller. The harness is located under the dash. On some models the harness is hard to find, but it is there if you have the towing package.

Well I went digging into the bottom of the glove box. I haven't had the truck that long. I found out I have the navigation system!? Which I'll never figure out, or trust. I had Garmen, it went totally OUT, in the middle of NOWHERE, on a heavy cloudy day(couldn't tell which direction was what!), no maps. Also I'm someone who is Still on Windows 7, & uses only a clamshell cell. I found some kind of wiring for the back-up camera, & this bundle of wiring with a "heavy red" wire, looks promising.
Attached Thumbnails
wiring.jpg  
Old 01-09-2022, 02:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 E19
I own a 2014 Tacoma that will serve a the tow vehicle for my E19.....and plan to use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 as well.

That pigtail you found in the glovebox is indeed the trailer brake controller wiring adapter supplied by Toyota. The owner's manual will tell you where to locate the harness under the dash that it connects to. It should be a pretty simple process to install the controller.......
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I own a 2014 Tacoma that will serve a the tow vehicle for my E19.....and plan to use a Tekonsha Prodigy P3 as well.

That pigtail you found in the glovebox is indeed the trailer brake controller wiring adapter supplied by Toyota. The owner's manual will tell you where to locate the harness under the dash that it connects to. It should be a pretty simple process to install the controller.......

Well I have a "help" over on Tacoma World.................... and it sounds like "they" tape it way up where up it is NOT SUPPOSE to be. Guys have had tear apart the dash & been bloodied!!! Getting it! Even the dealers can't find it!!!!! I'll you you know how I do !
Old 01-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #9

This is what you are to look for(the foam?)...... Something about looking for the FOAM, as there can be about 3 other connectors way up there .......doing nothing!
Attached Thumbnails
Taco end.jpg  
Old 01-09-2022, 02:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'll add my experience/learning curve here. I've added controllers to a Tacoma, Tundra and Sequoia over the past several years for friends and family. All of the Toyota manuals say basically the same thing. They provide a jack in the wiring harness for easy installation of a controller - the problem is finding it.

On all three of these vehicles the easiest way to find it is to remove the driver's side kick panel. This is easy to do and requires removing a nut or two and then wiggling it out. You'll see a numerous wire bundle running vertically behind this panel and the plug is associated with this wire bundle. In all cases the plug was located on the back side of this bundle and well taped over. The trick is to pull the bundle out far enough to clear the wall and look for something that is well taped to the bundle. Taped enough that you don't even realize there is something under it. I cut the tape figuring I could replace it a found the plug. Obvious once you have it (it's the only empty one there) but a dickens to find.

I would get the Toyota-to-controller adapter from your controller maker. This gives you more wire length to work with. Also make sure you get the correct adapter. I found the Tacoma was different from the Tundra/Sequoia.

Good luck, and enjoy the learning experience.
Doug
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 02:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
The photo you posted looks like what I've found. The black tape is in several layers around individual bundles and around the whole thing. I cut the tape around the whole thing and found the plug behind, away from you, with its own tape around it. You know it's there somewhere and you're looking for the ahh-ha moment.

Good luck!
Doug & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I had a 2011 Tacoma, used a Teckonsha brake controller with it. When I got the brake controller, I made sure that the plug would fit my model of truck. It was very straight forward, just plug it in, no mess, no fuss. There is an existing plug built into the truck. It may take a little bit of wiggling to get it in but you don't need to cut any of the existing wire harnesses, etc. Lower left drivers side below the dash if I recall correctly.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 02:05 AM   #13

Trailer: Na
On my 2015 manual it was way up on the left side and tucked behindw bunch of wire bundles
Cliff201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 09:42 AM   #14

Trailer: 1963 Avion T27
We created a video putting one into our 2nd Gen with tow package: https://youtu.be/aKfXbhcvhcE
NomadEffect is offline   Reply With Quote