Low mileage from Toyota Tacoma - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2023, 11:30 PM   #21

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo View Post
I think the Tacoma's flaw is that it barely has enough power to move around with it's own weight and passengers so when towing it has to work extra hard, where I'd expect that a well-equipped full size truck might not even notice towing the Escape.
I wouldn't be so sure. My Lexus GX470 has the 4.7L V8 but it, like the Tacomas being discussed, only gets about 11 mpg when towing at 65 mph. That drops to 10 @ 70 mph. But I can get about 12.5 mpg if I slow to 55 and turn off the air conditioner! It's a Toyota/Lexus engine thing IMO.

I certainly would like to be getting 15 mpg towing instead of 11. But then I look at the prices of vehicles (both new and used) and compare the monthly payment to the estimated fuel cost savings, and I think maybe I'd better stick with what I have as long as it's running well. Even though it's 15 years old, it is faring much better in terms of repair needs than my previous Ford and Chrysler products. Heh, my 2000 Mercury Mountaineer was rattling and squeaking like a jalopy by the time it was 8-9 years old, but the Lexus still rides and sounds almost like new.
Old 09-21-2023, 11:45 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Regular gas, no pedal to the metal, my 2014 Silverado 1500 LT is a 5.3L V-8 4WD. It has a neat automatic valve adjustment down from 8 to 4 valves when it thinks conditions warrant it. Like that.
I have a similar truck, same engine , but a 2018 2 wheel drive.
We just got back from a trip - San Jose Ca to Malibu Ca and back 360 miles each way going through mountain passes including Grape Vine twice. Going 60 to 65 mph. Averaged 15.2 mpg.

City driving I get between 19 to 20 mpg
Open highway with 3 to 4 hundred pounds in the bed I get between 24 to 26 mpg.

I very pleased with this trucks performance.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:14 AM   #23

Trailer: 21
Same here as occer and Myron crept a 2017 Silverado Z71 4x4 5.3 and it’s paid for plan on driving it till it stops then I’ll put a new engine and transmission if needed. Way way cheaper than a new vehicle
Old 09-22-2023, 07:27 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
I now have towed my Escape 19 with my Toyota Tacoma V6 for the last 2 years and have never gotten more than 11 miles a gallon when towing. Perhaps since I do not live in the RV world, that mileage sucks to me. I would love to get a hybrid or all electrical truck but That is 3-4 years away in terms of affordability. Any suggestions on gas guzzlers that at least can get me 15 miles a gallon when towing. Thanks
I own a Tacoma and a Tundra, I wouldn’t use my Tacoma for much more than towing a utility trailer. That said for everyday use I do prefer the Tacoma.
I try and look at total operating cost, not just fuel when choosing a vehicle.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:16 AM   #25

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We tow our 21C with a GMC Canyon with 2.8L duramax diesel engine. Excellent combo, no problem in the mountains. We get 19-20 mpg towing on the flats and less in mountains. I drive at 63 mph when towing. When not towing we get ~28 mpg. GMC in their infinite wisdom no longer offers this engine in the new Canyon/Colorado. Wish they did as I would buy a new one.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:40 AM   #26

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
This is why the Tacoma's poor towing mileage doesn't really concern me. The low maintenance/repair costs that I've experienced in nearly 10 years /100k miles of ownership more than offsets the added fuel expense. The truck has been incredibly reliable to date. Even as it ages, the cost for more significant repairs should remain reasonable (provided that the notorious frame rust issue doesn't become a problem).

The only reason I'd consider upgrading is that I feel the E19 really pushes the limits of the truck's towing capacity (particularly in terms of payload and available power in mountain territory)...and I don't believe it to be the ideal TV for the longer/extensive trips that I have planned in the future.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:45 AM   #27

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chama View Post
We tow our 21C with a GMC Canyon with 2.8L duramax diesel engine. Excellent combo, no problem in the mountains. We get 19-20 mpg towing on the flats and less in mountains. I drive at 63 mph when towing. When not towing we get ~28 mpg. GMC in their infinite wisdom no longer offers this engine in the new Canyon/Colorado. Wish they did as I would buy a new one.
I get about the same with my 2017 Chevy Colorado 4X4 diesel. I am so glad I bought this truck when I did. I just got back from a trip in western Montana, towing my 19 up and down all sorts of mountain passes. The truck’s computer reported an average of 19.2 mpg for the trip upon my return.

Sadly, GM has replaced this fantastic small diesel engine in the 2023 Colorados and Canyons with a turbo charged 4-cylinder gas engine, with an EPA combined mpg estimate that’s about the same not towing as what I get towing with the diesel (18-19 mpg). I’m wondering if anyone here has bought one, and if so, what they are getting for mpg towing. One would hope the mpg is better than the EPA estimates, and I’ve read reports from those who have bought one that their trucks are indeed doing much better. But, I’ve not seen any reports of what folks are getting towing.

If I was in the market to replace what I have, I’d be looking hard at a Ford Ranger. If I could afford it, I’d also be looking at a Chevy 1500 with the 3.0L Duramax, which reportedly gets almost as good mpg as my Colorado, at least not towing. For me, that truck would likely be the ideal tow rig, although I’d rather not drive a full size pickup. Here’s hoping by the time I’m ready to replace what I have, GM will have decided to make another mid size truck with a diesel, or at least a hybrid, that improves on the current offering.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:15 AM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I own a Tacoma and a Tundra, I wouldn’t use my Tacoma for much more than towing a utility trailer. That said for everyday use I do prefer the Tacoma.
I tend to align with your philosophy. We bought our Escape 5.0 and F150 for pure enjoyment. Comfort, ease of use, durability, and longevity were top of the list. MPG, investment, resale value, yada, yada were way down at the bottom. I spend what I spend to get where I'm going. That's the price you pay for towing a camper.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 11:28 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblagsvedt View Post
There has been little variation in mileage for me. I drive conservatively, often at cruise control, 60 miles a hour and pretty much gotten the same mileage whether driving to MT.Hood (360 rd trip) or California (1600 mi rd trip) The V6 Tacoma pulls the Escape easily so towing strain is not the issue. Towing capacity for the Tacoma is 5000-5500 so the Escape 19 weight is not the issue. The car's mileage without a trailer is still only 18-19 mi a gallon and the newer generations of V6 Tacoma are really no better.
Hi: dblagsvedt... IMHO the words "Towing" and "Fuel mileage" should not be used in the same paragraph!!! It's a cost of going on a holiday trip quite like sites in a CG. Reliability is a good word. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
To put that in perspective I get 11 towing a 6500 lb trailer with a Ram 2500
I suspect a f150 2.7 eco boost would do better for your trailer. The calculation is always is the truck paid off ? How much gas does 40,000 buy ?
However gas tank range and stability would be better with a 1/2 ton

YES! I have towed my E19 with a 2nd gen Tacoma 10ks of miles, but it's a PreRunner. Better mileage than the 4x4. I get around 13, but I don't go above 65(downhill!), hang about 62. I'm in no hurry. The small gas tank doesn't bother me, at my age NEED to get out walk around, Dogs too. And sorry, the dependably of a Tacoma is HUGE for me. Could have gotten up to a E21 on my new Escape. But wanted to stay comfortably with my Taco. And honestly might start looking for a Creampuff Taco as a back up. I also can't stand the tall bed walls, at my age I not climbing into my truckbed everytime I want something, & add the huge hoods now too.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 06:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
My last two American-made trucks nearly busted me. Every spare cent went toward repairs. Granted that was many years ago. I got tired of being broke so bought my first Toyota and at least all I had was the payments and the cost of gas which got me out from being broke.

After 33 years of Toyota ownership I still haven't paid as much in repairs as I paid for even one of those American trucks. Yes, the gas mileage leaves something to be desired but, like payments, it's a foreseeable cost.

I have been fortunate that my trucks are paid off quickly and all I have left are the running costs. I haven't tracked my mileage- it just is whatever it is. I enjoy driving a Toyota and tend to hang on to them for a long time or until my needs change. I've never sold one because it was worn out or broken down.

A common saying I've heard among Toyota truck owners is "you don't buy a Toyota for the mileage" which is too bad. It would be a bonus to get good mileage, too.

None of the above is meant to denigrate any of the other brands and are solely based on my own experiences and preferences. There are some other really very attractive units out there.
Old 09-22-2023, 08:32 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamunique127 View Post
My last two American-made trucks nearly busted me. Every spare cent went toward repairs. Granted that was many years ago. I got tired of being broke so bought my first Toyota and at least all I had was the payments and the cost of gas which got me out from being broke.

After 33 years of Toyota ownership I still haven't paid as much in repairs as I paid for even one of those American trucks. Yes, the gas mileage leaves something to be desired but, like payments, it's a foreseeable cost.

I have been fortunate that my trucks are paid off quickly and all I have left are the running costs. I haven't tracked my mileage- it just is whatever it is. I enjoy driving a Toyota and tend to hang on to them for a long time or until my needs change. I've never sold one because it was worn out or broken down.

A common saying I've heard among Toyota truck owners is "you don't buy a Toyota for the mileage" which is too bad. It would be a bonus to get good mileage, too.

None of the above is meant to denigrate any of the other brands and are solely based on my own experiences and preferences. There are some other really very attractive units out there.
We own a 2003 Toyota RAV4 with 295,000 miles on it, and it’s still going strong. Never had to pay for a repair on the thing since we got it. We bought it used in 2014 with 38,000 miles on it, for something like $13k. I’d say we got a bargain.

That said, our 2017 Colorado diesel now has almost 95,000 miles on it, much of that towing. Other than fuel, 2 gallons of DEF every other month or so, scheduled maintenance, a set of tires, and rear brakes, I’ve not spent a dime on it. Not one repair either, for this vehicle.

But, 95,000 miles isn’t a lot in the world of Toyotas, and no one is more aware of that than I am!! We’ll see how this truck holds up as time progresses… since it’s now basically irreplaceable, we’re planning to keep it for quite some time. Of course we’re hoping that keeping up with the maintenance is the reason we’ve had good luck with both vehicles so far.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 09:43 PM   #33
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
I forgot how much Toyota drivers liked their Kool Aid
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 10:05 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
Our 2016 Corolla has been 100% reliable since 2016 and 135,000 miles with only a very little routine maintenance of the fluids and tire replacement. So, I don’t call it Kool Aid. Every other vehicle I have owned cost more to own, and every new vehicle cost more to buy.

Granted, I push my trucks harder, and a Tacoma doesn’t have enough payload or towing for me to consider it. There is also no one ton or at least three quarter ton from Toyota. Even for cars, however; the Corolla has cost less to buy and own. If Toyota built a truck that met my needs, I’d consider it, but they don’t.

When I buy a car or other vehicle for passengers or most errands, I do think about fuel economy, but when I buy a truck, I’m only evaluating if it’s capable to do what I ask if it. It’s a truck; fuel mileage is just a bonus if it’s good, but not a truck essential for me.
Old 09-22-2023, 10:30 PM   #35

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
2014 Tacoma, pulling an E'21 out of Denver, typically thru the Tunnels on the continental divide at 11000+ feet. At last checkup my brakes had 90% of the lining remaining.

I like my Kool Aid red, thank you.

Oh, yeah, and the gas mileage is terrific in the downhill direction.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 07:37 AM   #36

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Nice try, but I think you got it the wrong way around. Being satisfied with a vehicle and brand that delivered 300,000 trouble free miles is just clear thinking.

In my case, showing brand loyalty to GM after owning a repair hog Suburban...now that would have required Kool Aid.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 08:22 AM   #37

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We tow our 21C with a 2016 f-150 4x4 Supercrew 5 1/2' bed with the 3.5 EcoBoost motor. I'm still amazed at how easily this motor pulls our Escape up the mountains.

Running 65 MPH down the highway we average between around 13-14 MPG. Running 60 MPH we average 14-15. On our recent trip we averaged almost 17 on one 400 mile day across southern Kansas. But throw in a stiff headwind, a mountain pass and mileage drops to 8-9.

I test drove the new 3+ liter V-6 twin turbo Tundra and I felt it had less torque but maybe that feeling changes when adding a load to the pull.

We are very happy with the 3.5 F-150 due to it's torque, quietness and smooth ride. It's a very comfortable powerful truck. We thought about the smaller 2.7 Ecoboost but then again we also thought about a 3/4 Ton Diesel as well.

We like bigger trucks but there are a lot of good choices out there for those who prefer smaller sizes.

Do what my friend did when buying a new truck. During the test drive he hooked up his camper and gave it a decent length test drive on flats and hills. He was very surprised by the results and really helped him on making the right decision.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 09:38 AM   #38

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Match the truck with 3 factors: adequate payload, stability, and gas mileage. Tow capacity is really not much of a factor with most modern trucks. An underpowered truck will likely get the same mileage as an adequate or over capacity truck. Reliability obviously is a factor. I do wish Toyota made a 3/4 class truck. I can’t see that necessary (3/4 ton) for any escape though. We opted for that with our longer heavier and wider trailer and it was absolutely the right choice. I wanted a Tundra but finding adequate payload was challenging . 1600 lbs was not going to cut it with heavy tongue weight. The new Tacoma may be a fine towing truck.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 12:47 PM   #39

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I get about the same with my 2017 Chevy Colorado 4X4 diesel. I am so glad I bought this truck when I did. I just got back from a trip in western Montana, towing my 19 up and down all sorts of mountain passes. The truck’s computer reported an average of 19.2 mpg for the trip upon my return.

Sadly, GM has replaced this fantastic small diesel engine in the 2023 Colorados and Canyons with a turbo charged 4-cylinder gas engine, with an EPA combined mpg estimate that’s about the same not towing as what I get towing with the diesel (18-19 mpg). I’m wondering if anyone here has bought one, and if so, what they are getting for mpg towing. One would hope the mpg is better than the EPA estimates, and I’ve read reports from those who have bought one that their trucks are indeed doing much better. But, I’ve not seen any reports of what folks are getting towing.

If I was in the market to replace what I have, I’d be looking hard at a Ford Ranger. If I could afford it, I’d also be looking at a Chevy 1500 with the 3.0L Duramax, which reportedly gets almost as good mpg as my Colorado, at least not towing. For me, that truck would likely be the ideal tow rig, although I’d rather not drive a full size pickup. Here’s hoping by the time I’m ready to replace what I have, GM will have decided to make another mid size truck with a diesel, or at least a hybrid, that improves on the current offering.
I also love our Canyon diesel, 18-20 mpg towing our 5.0.

Another member on here tows a 5.0 with a Chevy 3.0 diesel, and gets real good MPGs towing, or not.

As things change, we’ll see an increase in the viability of towing with electric….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2023, 01:50 PM   #40

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Interesting to read a thread about mileage and no (at least I didn’t read any) mention of final drive ratio.

When I bought our 2022 RAM 5.7L etorque Laramie Sport 4x4 Crew Cab 5’7” bed with a stainless steel SmartCap, I kinda figured we would be lucky to see 10-12 mpg while towing. Particularly since it was equipped with a 3.92 rear (and front, actually) axle ratio.

We did, in fact, see 10 mpg on a trip across the southern route from California to Florida, but we had stiff headwinds for nearly two days. In general and on flat runs, 14-16 mpg is pretty much average pulling a 21C.

Without the trailer, the RAM frequently surprises us with 20 mpg overall on trips down from the foothills we live in and back. For comparison sake, I was approached by a guy while waiting in the service line at the RAM dealership who told me that he had pretty much the same spec truck and he was lucky to get 10 mpg with no towing. Imagine his reaction when I mentioned the 3.92 ration; his was 3.21.

All of which goes to support my belief that there can sometimes be greater performance variability within model lines than across manufacturers. Sometimes we luck out, sometimes, not so much.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote