It Happens - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2020, 09:24 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Did I ever tell you about the time........ his voice trailed off and they looked up, Iowa Dave had fallen asleep or passed out, mid sentence. We were at Denny’s and his face was in his meal.
True story, still a couple guys still alive that may remember.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-31-2020, 09:34 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Did I ever tell you about the time........ his voice trailed off and they looked up, Iowa Dave had fallen asleep or passed out, mid sentence. We were at Denny’s and his face was in his meal.
True story, still a couple guys still alive that may remember.
Iowa Dave

Please tell me someone has pictures of that.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:04 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Y'all are funny!
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Pete McMartin?

Nope. Deni Eagland. Most of his adventures involved sidekick Danny Scott.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
We need a rally!
I'll drink to that....
Old 10-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The red-flag phrase more often than not immediately preceding a youthful misadventure:

"Hey, guys, watch this ...."

... ... ...

Yep, one sometimes marvels at what we managed to survive.
Old 10-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The red-flag phrase more often than not immediately preceding a youthful misadventure:

"Hey, guys, watch this ...."

... ... ...

Yep, one sometimes marvels at what we managed to survive.
Yup, in the good old days all you got was a busted up head or a cast, now you can make money posting it on youtube.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 12:50 PM   #28

Quote:
Yup, in the good old days all you got was a busted up head or a cast, now you can make money posting it on youtube.

Ron
And I marvel at that, too . I must be getting old (thankfully)
Old 10-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
We need a rally!
I agree, especially one with Dave there although he manages to keep us updated with his stories on the forum

Two references in this thread to 1970's. Ronn mentioned a 70's Maverick, we actually saw one this week! Then there's old VW's. Beth learned to drive standard on her brother's VW in 1978 when I'd taken our car on my first transfer (Toronto to Saskatoon). She was doing a u-turn and one wheel fell off. She'd take our dog in the car for short trips and once the pup jumped out of the VW after being subjected to some rough starts in first gear.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:10 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Y'all are funny!

At least the guy working on the air conditioner is not standing on a stool on the ladder.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:14 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
She was doing a u-turn and one wheel fell off. She'd take our dog in the car for short trips and once the pup jumped out of the VW after being subjected to some rough starts in first gear.
: laugh: It sure doesn't take a lot to humor me, that created a laugh out loud picture.
Old 11-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Well, under "Young and stupid" and "Old VW":
In the 70's, I had a 1956 VW (small window) bug, that had a hitch, so I could tow my dune buggy (Made out of another VW chassis/belly pan/etc.).

One day, my girl friend's Chevelle died, so we (of course) towed it with the VW, over back roads, about 15 miles back to her home, where it eventually got repaired. We used a VW tow bar, lashed to the front of the Chevelle with chains. The only smart thing we did was that she was in the Chevelle under tow, to apply the brakes occasionally.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Ref. back to the original post: On Monday I was hauling some furniture in my utility trailer, when we slowed to pass a flat deck tow loading a disabled SUV. The tow driver was having to drag the front corner of the SUV onto the deck, because tire, wheel, drum, etc were missing. Only the spindle and some broken suspension remained. I wonder where that wheel (still attached to a brake drum or rotor) went rolling off to......
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:42 AM   #34

Trailer: 21C
Having grown with parents that were always towing this or that, i've seen a fair share of wheels coming off...

For our new 17a this summer I un-did all the lugnuts and greased them and re-torqued, right away. I also do that with the tow vehicle.

Checked again after arriving at our first campground and again before each trip (along with tire pressure). Lubricate (grease or oil) is very important to make sure you get a good consistent preload given the torque (on threads AND the contact surface). Make sure to replace any galled nuts. I use torque wrench on one or two to make sure I am in the ball park, then just by feel/by hand ( toyota highlander lugnut wrench with an steel tube extension).
schmidjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:58 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidjo View Post

For our new 17a this summer I un-did all the lugnuts and greased them and re-torqued, right away. I also do that with the tow vehicle.
Sorry but that goes against well established protocols and manufacturers' instructions.

I'd say do it at your own peril.

Ron
Old 11-05-2020, 11:38 AM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Sorry but that goes against well established protocols and manufacturers' instructions.

I'd say do it at your own peril.

Ron
Isn't it more likely at the peril of someone like Peter Mays, 82 who was minding his own business in the passenger seat last Friday when a wheel came off a trailer going the opposite way and struck his car and killed him?
Old 11-05-2020, 12:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Isn't it more likely at the peril of someone like Peter Mays, 82 who was minding his own business in the passenger seat last Friday when a wheel came off a trailer going the opposite way and struck his car and killed him?
Could be, the grease will lead to over torquing, not a good thing. Or help the lug nut come undone. Easy on, easy off.

All that's needed with wheel studs is a light wire brushing if they have a bit of surface rust and you can't spin them on with your fingers.

I hate to see advice like this posted knowing so many newbies hang on every word they read on the forum.

Ron
Old 11-05-2020, 12:53 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidjo View Post
Lubricate (grease or oil) is very important to make sure you get a good consistent preload given the torque (on threads AND the contact surface).
I beg readers to disregard this 'advice' - please refer to your vehicle's workshop manual.

I'm sorry but that's simply 100% contrary to fastener torque procedures I've encountered in a long lifetime of working on vehicles. With extremely rare and very specific exception, torque specifications are based on CLEAN AND DRY fasteners. Road-wheel lugs / nuts are NOT one of those rare and specific exceptions.

ALL contact surfaces involved in the mounting of road-wheels should be CLEAN AND DRY to ensure proper fitment, function, and safety of the assembly. That's not just my opinion, if you read manufacturer workshop manuals I'm 100% confident you'll find that's consistent with those procedures / specifications for all road-wheel assemblies of the sort that folks will encounter with an Escape / Escape tow vehicle.
Old 11-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I always torque my lug nuts before starting on a trip but I wonder... If someone else has installed the tire and OVERTORQUED the bolts, is that a problem? Is the proper procedure to loosen the lug nuts then torque to the proper spec? Or is it OK to just be sure that the minimum torque is reached?
Old 11-05-2020, 01:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I always torque my lug nuts before starting on a trip but I wonder... If someone else has installed the tire and OVERTORQUED the bolts, is that a problem? Is the proper procedure to loosen the lug nuts then torque to the proper spec? Or is it OK to just be sure that the minimum torque is reached?
Fastener torque specifications are 'absolute' (usually within a range of specified tolerance), not a 'minimum expression'. Over-torque can lead to fastener failure and/or distortion / damage of the components being fastened.

One should be cautious about re-tightening fasteners that have been in place for a time without removing them to ensure the surfaces are CLEAN of accumulated corrosion which can lead to false torque values.