What did you do for your Escape today..... - Page 91 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2022, 07:28 AM   #1801

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Replaced a few cabinet catches with these heavy duty ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVN1JMQ...roduct_details
I was having problems with a few of the roller springs OEM catches breaking and not aligning with the door strikes. These seem very robust and the ball bearings have adjustable tension.
Attachment 64484Attachment 64485

I love that catch! I built a custom Med cabinet. in my house & found that in brass(only type). The rest of Bathroom, is Brush Chrome. Thanks for the right color!
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:39 AM   #1802

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
I love that catch! I built a custom Med cabinet. in my house & found that in brass(only type). The rest of Bathroom, is Brush Chrome. Thanks for the right color!
I added the same catch to both my cabinet doors. No longer find my clothes on the floor after a rough ride.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:37 AM   #1803
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
Not today but last week...cut the rear driver's side fiberglass one our 15A to install a new cargo door where there wasn't one along with a new locking fresh water inlet & city water fittings.
Nice work.

I love the idea of adding access to the plumbing. On our 21NE, access to the plumbing is a twice a year exercise in flexibility while winterizing. Located under the bed, and reached by me through the under bed cabinet doors. Designed more for a 20 year old contortionist rather than an outta shape senior.

That access door would be perfect ... just enough access to do the bypass switch, easy hookup for antifreeze AND installed from outside.

Sounds like a job for Outta Shape Senior.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 08:07 PM   #1804

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Nice work.

I love the idea of adding access to the plumbing. On our 21NE, access to the plumbing is a twice a year exercise in flexibility while winterizing. Located under the bed, and reached by me through the under bed cabinet doors. Designed more for a 20 year old contortionist rather than an outta shape senior.

That access door would be perfect ... just enough access to do the bypass switch, easy hookup for antifreeze AND installed from outside.

Sounds like a job for Outta Shape Senior.
Exactly the reason I decided to...cut 'glass . I was, like you, long past tired of pulling up bedding & mattress, etc., to get at the water valves, etc. I finally moved this project up on "the list" and got it done.
Old 08-27-2022, 11:21 AM   #1805

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
I replaced the battery cutoff switch in our 2019 5.0.

Backstory 1. We took delivery of our trailer in September 2019. It was manufactured in June 2019. In October 2019, we saw Karl Kenny at the Pineknot Fiberglass Rally near Athens, Tx. I learned they just upgraded the cutoff switch replacing the old “toggle” switch. I expressed my chagrin to Karl in that we just missed the changeover from the old switch to the new switch. He said “I’ll send you one!” True to his word a replacement switch showed up in the mail three weeks later. The new switch sat in my shop gathering dust until last week.

Backstory 2. We just completed a month long trip through the Midwest. Two and a half weeks into our trip we were packing up in Bismarck, ND when the refrigerator would not work on propane when disconnected from shore power. [emoji2955]. After a couple of hours troubleshooting the refrigerator, I learned the 12volt system within the trailer was completely out. This led me to the old toggle switch. I removed the switch and hardwired the connections to complete the circuit and the trip! The remaining trip went without incident.

Now the new switch…upon arriving home I replaced the old switch with the new one and mounted it under the seat. I was concerned there was enough slack in the wires after replacing the eyelet connectors. (The old switch had smaller connectors that would not fit the new switch.) It was not an issue and I crimped on the new connectors and mounted the switch as shown. I simply covered the hole from the old switch with a short bolt and oversized washers. Since it’s under the support board for the table it can’t be seen very well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7532.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	64554

Name:	IMG_7537.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	64555

Name:	IMG_7534.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	64556
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 12:22 PM   #1806
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
I didn't know Escape had changed the switch. I've been thinking of putting a cover over mine.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #1807

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I didn't know Escape had changed the switch. I've been thinking of putting a cover over mine.
While I'm not impressed with the electrical or mechanical qualities of the toggle switch that Escape used in the past, a cheap fix to prevent accidentally shutting it off is one of these covers.
Old 08-29-2022, 03:41 PM   #1808

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Replaced the bathroom exhaust fan. The original one failed when the foam trim under the cap came loose and got tangled in the blades. It was covered under warranty. We removed the foam, which was already falling off, from the new fan cap. Went to Ace hardware and picked up an 8" rubber gasket for a pressure cooker and glued it with Gorilla glue to the cap. This should not fall off and seals the cap perfect when closed!
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2022, 08:34 PM   #1809

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
Replaced the bathroom exhaust fan. The original one failed when the foam trim under the cap came loose and got tangled in the blades. It was covered under warranty. We removed the foam, which was already falling off, from the new fan cap. Went to Ace hardware and picked up an 8" rubber gasket for a pressure cooker and glued it with Gorilla glue to the cap. This should not fall off and seals the cap perfect when closed!
Wow, good idea. Don’t know if I would have thought of a pressure cooker ring.
Old 08-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #1810
Site Team

Teak Bathroom Mat

Finally gave in to aesthetics and bought a teak bathroom 'mat' for our E21C. Uncertain how it would fare in our somewhat humid climate, but this 20x20" one needed no cutting and looks pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095GG55B3...t_details&th=1

$53, and looks pretty solid. Has rubber feet to keep the wood off the floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8810_sma.jpg  
Old 08-31-2022, 05:57 PM   #1811
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bristol5.0 View Post
Replaced a few cabinet catches with these heavy duty ones: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVN1JMQ...roduct_details
I was having problems with a few of the roller springs OEM catches breaking and not aligning with the door strikes. These seem very robust and the ball bearings have adjustable tension.
Attachment 64484Attachment 64485
ok, I got me some of those. installed first one on the closet door on my 21, since its frequently opened during travel and dumped all our clothes on the floor...

um.... how the *heck* do you get those aligned? Even 1/16ths of an inch error and it just bangs and doesn't close, and you can't see where the pieces mate behind the door.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:19 PM   #1812

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Finally gave in to aesthetics and bought a teak bathroom 'mat' for our E21C. Uncertain how it would fare in our somewhat humid climate, but this 20x20" one needed no cutting and looks pretty good:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095GG55B3...t_details&th=1

$53, and looks pretty solid. Has rubber feet to keep the wood off the floor.
Short on spare cash. Made mine out of Ipe wood left over from other projects.
Attached Thumbnails
Escape Mat.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:26 PM   #1813

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Install the catch on the cabinet, put strike in place with screws in holes and shut the door onto the protruding screws. Or ,instead of loose screws, put some lipstick on the strike and close the door onto the lipstick covered strike
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 06:28 PM   #1814
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Very nice. I wish I were as capable as you at woodworking. What is "Ipe wood"?
Old 08-31-2022, 08:23 PM   #1815

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Closet mod for Moby

lowered hanging rod so clothes reach bottom of closet and added an extra shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
CLOSET MOD.jpg  
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:57 PM   #1816

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Very, very nicely done. 2 verys, my highest category.

Half laps or T&G?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 07:24 AM   #1817

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Very nice. I wish I were as capable as you at woodworking. What is "Ipe wood"?
AKA...'Brazilian Walnut'. Good alternative to teak. Teak, exposed to the elements will eventually turn to a silvery-gray color. Which isn't necessarily a 'bad' thing. It's what has happened to my head of hair. Ipe is often used for decking and outdoor furniture because it holds its color better. It is sourced from parts of Mexico & South America.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 12:45 PM   #1818

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
ok, I got me some of those. installed first one on the closet door on my 21, since its frequently opened during travel and dumped all our clothes on the floor...

um.... how the *heck* do you get those aligned? Even 1/16ths of an inch error and it just bangs and doesn't close, and you can't see where the pieces mate behind the door.
John, I had the same problem. I solved it by placing a thin spacer between the bearings, backing off the bearing tension as much as possible inserting the part that mounts to the door with double stick tape applied to the back face and closing the door firmly on the assembly. Open the door gently and the latch will be suck to the door ready for mounting. I used a self-centering bit to drill my holes. I used 3 pound double stick mounting tape as I found the extra thickness of the tape to be helpful. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Ed
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:23 PM   #1819

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Mods to Moby

Added and extra shelf to lower cabinet on right side of door.
Added a 3/4 shelf for bathroom and medicine to upper cabinet on right side of door.
Both are just temporary from scraps from workshop, will replace with high quality ply with edge banding once we have used them for awhile to make sure we like height and placement.
Attached Thumbnails
20220901_102032.jpg   20220901_142205 (2).jpg  
knuckled62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 05:28 PM   #1820
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
Install the catch on the cabinet, put strike in place with screws in holes and shut the door onto the protruding screws. Or ,instead of loose screws, put some lipstick on the strike and close the door onto the lipstick covered strike
ah, good idea. I also thought (while laying in bed sleepless last night) about putting a piece of masking tape on the back of the striker and seeing where it lands on the door
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote