Anyone replaced a power cord hatch with a SmartPlug inlet? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-06-2023, 09:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Anyone replaced a power cord hatch with a SmartPlug inlet?

I flinch every time I pull our 5's power cord out of its round cord hatch, wondering if it's about to snag part of our underseat power center, plumbing, pump or hot water heater. We didn't order the optional removable power cord when we bought our trailer so it's not that easy for us to install a www.smartplug.com inlet.

Our cord hatch is 5+ inches wide: Click image for larger version

Name:	Cord Hatch.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	69750

The SmartPlug inlet is about 1 1/2 inches smaller: Click image for larger version

Name:	BM30PW SmartPlug.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	69751

Any ideas how to retrofit the SmartPlug inlet and make it look nice? SmartPlug customer service says they have no adapter plates.

Ed
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 10:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I've had multiple removable cords but this time I decided that there's some merit to the argument that only pulling out a few feet of cord and not getting a whole cord wet or muddy when you only need a few feet.

I hear you about shoving the cord back into a space with a lot of electrical stuff. I built a box with a lid to contain the cord. Never had to remove the lid to sort out the cord. It coils up just fine and doesn't touch anything else in the vicinity.

A small tote the right size would save building a box.

Just posted this as a alternate solution.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
25-09-2019 4-56-12 PM_0005_resize.jpg   26-09-2019 2-58-04 PM_0005_resize.jpg   IMGP0016_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 11:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've had multiple removable cords but this time I decided that there's some merit to the argument that only pulling out a few feet of cord and not getting a whole cord wet or muddy when you only need a few feet.

I hear you about shoving the cord back into a space with a lot of electrical stuff. I built a box with a lid to contain the cord. Never had to remove the lid to sort out the cord. It coils up just fine and doesn't touch anything else in the vicinity.

A small tote the right size would save building a box.

Just posted this as a alternate solution.

Ron
Smart idea. I see you fastened the sides of your box to the floor with L brackets. I've always been reluctant to put holes or screws into the floor of my 5. How thick do you think the floor is and how long a screw do you think is OK. (Wouldn't want to hit an under-body tank or something serious.)
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
I flinch every time I pull our 5's power cord out of its round cord hatch, wondering if it's about to snag part of our underseat power center, plumbing, pump or hot water heater. We didn't order the optional removable power cord when we bought our trailer so it's not that easy for us to install a www.smartplug.com inlet.

Our cord hatch is 5+ inches wide: Attachment 69750

The SmartPlug inlet is about 1 1/2 inches smaller: Attachment 69751

Any ideas how to retrofit the SmartPlug inlet and make it look nice? SmartPlug customer service says they have no adapter plates.

Ed
A local machine shop could make you a steel plate with the old screw holes and the new ones. Someone with a little cad skills to draw it up. I replaced my twist lock with a smart plug and wouldn’t go back, much superior to the twist lock. I’m a bit obsessive about making my hook ups quick as I also put quick hose releases on my water inlet , filter, and water pressure regulator. I only have the tighten on water connector to the spigot. Saves 10 minutes at least.

I
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 09:31 AM   #5

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
A local machine shop could make you a steel plate with the old screw holes and the new ones. Someone with a little cad skills to draw it up. I replaced my twist lock with a smart plug and wouldn’t go back, much superior to the twist lock.
Good idea about having a machine shop make something. I was about to comment that my twist lock appears larger than the smart plug and might be a more straightforward replacement. But why do you consider the smart plug "much superior"? It doesn't appear to hold the cord in place as securely as a twist lock, and the latter really only takes 1 second extra to turn the collar. (If I were so pressed for time that losing 1 second is a problem, I have bigger problems in my life! )
Old 08-07-2023, 09:48 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Good idea about having a machine shop make something. I was about to comment that my twist lock appears larger than the smart plug and might be a more straightforward replacement. But why do you consider the smart plug "much superior"? It doesn't appear to hold the cord in place as securely as a twist lock, and the latter really only takes 1 second extra to turn the collar. (If I were so pressed for time that losing 1 second is a problem, I have bigger problems in my life! )
The big advantage is the larger contact area of the blades versus the twisted tongs. Also my original twist locks collar was cross threaded and was not locking the connector well.
The time saving was referring to the water connectors lol
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Smart idea. I see you fastened the sides of your box to the floor with L brackets. I've always been reluctant to put holes or screws into the floor of my 5. How thick do you think the floor is and how long a screw do you think is OK. (Wouldn't want to hit an under-body tank or something serious.)
No worries at all attaching things to the floor. I screwed my Springfield pedestal to the floor. Actually I use something called nut serts, larger diameter and stronger than screws, but not problem with screws protruding 1/2" into the floor. Use a piece of tape on the drill bit to control the depth.

As I said, when I was finished my project and used a lid from a tote, I then realized that I could have used a tote to begin with. The story of many of my projects. Actually a tote could be double side taped to the floor without any attachments.

It all comes down to whether you prefer using the whole cord everytime you want power or are happy to only use what you need.

Ron
Old 08-07-2023, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
As I said, when I was finished my project and used a lid from a tote, I then realized that I could have used a tote to begin with. The story of many of my projects. Actually a tote could be double side taped to the floor without any attachments.

It all comes down to whether you prefer using the whole cord everytime you want power or are happy to only use what you need.

Ron

Ron- What dimensions for the box/tote did you use?
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:

Our cord hatch is 5+ inches wide: Attachment 69750

The SmartPlug inlet is about 1 1/2 inches smaller: Attachment 69751

Ed
Why not just use a standard twist lock power cord like is optional on the Escape? Serious question what's so special about the 'Smart Plug'?

ParkPower 30ARVKIT.BLK 30 Amp RV Conversion Kit

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Ron- What dimensions for the box/tote did you use?
Hi Mike,

The distance from the wall to the rear of the converter determined the width, 16". The length and height, 19" and 9" were TLAR.

Not to promote the detachable/fixed cord debate but for those going with a fixed cord it really is an improvement to contain it.

Ron
Old 08-07-2023, 04:50 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 E19
I just was "under there" in the New E19. I built a cubby for one dog, at the under bed front(take a door off) then boxed it off with a Very ridged 1/2 insulation I have(box off hot water pump, etc.),tied in a piece of 6" high vinyl baseboard stuff, curved it, to lead the cord to curl, hopefully(watch pushing, to see if I can find the curve it naturally has). I still want the back back against the wall free for rolled up long things (mats mostly). I laid a floor of the 1/2" inner locking mats over the whole area, helps keep things from sliding around. I also put a spare big dog crate pan down, at the hatch side. confine Heavy things needed a lot & if I have to toss things in wet. I have to save my TV load weight for metal Exercise pens & stuff that will not fit through hatch. I hope to design & get a custom Hitch carrier for the Escape for the pens & & a bike. Will have to move the spare up under the tongue. I'll have to see if I can get a photo.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Casita custom solo traveler
I have installed the Marinco stainless steel 30amp outlet on both casita's I've owned. Dealing with that stiff cord in the side door with crazy making. I also install a PI EMS box inline with the cord. I wanted stainless due to uv deterioration to plastic outlets. I had a smart plug on my last Lazy Daze TK and did not like it. Mainly because the cost of plug, outlet and cord.
Franram is offline   Reply With Quote