Escape 5.0 TA Frame looks off center - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 AM   #101
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can find plenty of things in my life to drive me nutz if I focus on them.

The tail gate on my truck sticks out about 1/8" from the body on the top passenger side. The tail gate isn't bent and it's flat across the top. It came from the factory this way and surely Ford being a gazillion dollar business has a better chance at fitting stuff properly than a small business with all 'hand made' trailers.

What drives me crazy is the spare tire on the back of Ten Forward. Wow, sure wish it was centered, but it's not and is that way for a purpose. Thankfully I only see it when I walk around the back of the trailer, which isn't often... or when I wash Ten Forward. Phooey on it. At least it's not a crooked window (which I've seen in other brands of trailers).
Old 11-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #102

Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can find plenty of things in my life to drive me nutz if I focus on them.

The tail gate on my truck sticks out about 1/8" from the body on the top passenger side. The tail gate isn't bent and it's flat across the top. It came from the factory this way and surely Ford being a gazillion dollar business has a better chance at fitting stuff properly than a small business with all 'hand made' trailers.

What drives me crazy is the spare tire on the back of Ten Forward. Wow, sure wish it was centered, but it's not and is that way for a purpose. Thankfully I only see it when I walk around the back of the trailer, which isn't often... or when I wash Ten Forward. Phooey on it. At least it's not a crooked window (which I've seen in other brands of trailers).
Next time you are in Texas drop by, I've got tool to adjust your tailgate, big hammers and steel bars should do the job.

trainman
Old 11-17-2018, 09:48 AM   #103

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Interesting thread. I'm wondering if the "much ado about nothing" crowd are mainly folks who build lots of stuff and know that perfection is a rare commodity while those that think that ETI should immediately build a new mold to correct this "problem" are more folks that buy everything off the shelf ready made.

As a life long DIY'er who tries hard for perfection but rarely achieves it, I've come to accept that it's good to try for perfection and settle for pretty darn good. I've also found that a little boo-boo that you're convinced almost ruins the job kind of disappears in a couple days and the rest of the world didn't even notice it.

Ron
Many a time have I not had my results turn out quite as perfectly as I had hoped. Many a time I have had people not even notice these things that I do, and think the end result is fantastic. Having been a DIY guy starting when I was a kid being my dad's right hand man (he was a DIY guy too, missing his right arm), I also quickly notice the flaws in others work though, mostly in things that were done for them by other contractors, but some in what they do themselves. Though I have said things about these flaws in some cases, I have become more accepting of the fact that if it works great for them, and there is no harm being done, to just let it slide (even if it means biting my tongue ).

I would be that most of the folks on this thread that had not read about this wee flaw here would never be any the wiser if it was not posted here. Like I said above, I had never really noticed, though my offset is about half that of the OP's.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #104

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm with you Donna, for the life of me I can not figure out the spare location. I have ask for it to be centered and was told no several times by ETI, so I live with it.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #105
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm with you Donna, for the life of me I can not figure out the spare location. I have ask for it to be centered and was told no several times by ETI, so I live with it.
It must have to do with weight and balance. BUT, I have dual 6-volts also on the passenger side rear. Surely those with just one 12 volt are carrying less weight on that side? There again, I'm just grateful it's on the outside rear. IF it was something on the inside....
Old 11-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #106

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
As a life-long DIY'er I've made quite a number of small mistakes and some big ones. I firmly believe that I'm the reason they sell trim and caulk.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #107

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I ran the snowblower this morning. Came out pretty good. Left a few snow clods here and there. My supervisor pointed these out. I gave her the plastic grain scoop and when she was done it was perfect. I was busy gassing the blower for the next go round and warming up the seat on my folding garage chair. Yes, I am a garage sitter.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #108

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I ran the snowblower this morning.
Iowa Dave

I predict that if you had just left the snow, it would have melted.
That's what I do.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #109

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Driveway Olympics

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
That's what I do.
Well you’re right it would have melted in a couple days and I have all wheel drive so getting out is not a problem but those darn commercials when I was a kid that started with “be the first on your block” somehow appealed to my competitive nature.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-17-2018, 01:18 PM   #110

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
That's what I do.
Hi: gbaglo... Letting the leaves rot... takes a lot longer!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 11-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #111

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
As a life-long DIY'er I've made quite a number of small mistakes and some big ones. I firmly believe that I'm the reason they sell trim and caulk.
Years ago I was working on a small project at my house with a carpenter that is a family friend. I was trying to get everything perfect. He said, “ Try your best and caulk the rest.” That always stuck with me.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #112

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Years ago I was working on a small project at my house with a carpenter that is a family friend. I was trying to get everything perfect. He said, “ Try your best and caulk the rest.” That always stuck with me.
"A little putty and a little paint makes a carpenter from what he ain't." Heard this little ditty here in Vermont....to be authentic say it with a wad of chew in your lip!
Old 11-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #113

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
That's what I do.
Might work for you, but back home in upstate NY, it waits until March or April to melt. A new layer a couple of times a week for a total of 200"...
Old 11-17-2018, 07:06 PM   #114

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What drives me crazy is the spare tire on the back of Ten Forward. Wow, sure wish it was centered, but it's not and is that way for a purpose. ...

Same offset on my 17. I was told it's to balance weight side to side, because of the battery on the right.

I installed a second battery box on the left, and installed the spare tire centered. Looks like I want and expect it to look; and I have a nice storage box on the left (no, there's no battery in it, but don't tell the pilferers!)
Old 11-17-2018, 08:18 PM   #115

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
When I buy new shoes I always try them on my left foot. It's a half size larger than my right foot even though I'm right handed. When ever I DIY something I always know that there are flaws. They may be tiny and insignificant but I know they are there.

Maybe I should quit walking and stop fixing/making things because I'm symmetrically and constructionally imperfect.

I don't think I will though.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:51 PM   #116

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
"A little putty and a little paint makes a carpenter from what he ain't." Heard this little ditty here in Vermont....to be authentic say it with a wad of chew in your lip!
Hi: Ian and Sue... The most despised words in the building trades. "Don't worry the trim will cover it". Alf
Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #117
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by reace View Post
Sorry for the delay on this. I wanted to get some photos of the next 5.0 that was mounted onto the chassis.

When we mount the trailer bodies onto the chassis, we use a jig which centers the body onto the chassis. (see attached photos) This insures that the body is mounted squarely onto the chassis. Unfortunately on the 5.0, this highlights the fact that the upper nose section of the body was built slightly out of alignment with the rest of the body. If we were to center the upper section, we run into other complications with plumbing and gas lines being too tight to the chassis under the body, and essentially, the body would now be mounted crooked on the frame. This is one of the downsides of a handmade mold. We have been playing with this issue since the conception of the 5.0 TA since 2014.

Hope this helps to clear up any concerns.

Reace
Thanks Reace
I was starting to think you may not respond, good for you. I fully understand both the design issues you describe and the crookedness of the mold ( I personally would have never signed off on the mold ). kinda put you between a rock and a hard place. You may want to spend a little time and check your Jig or spend a little time with your crew as some 5.0 our coming off the line over one inch off and others only 1/2" off.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:45 PM   #118

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I've been following this discussion since our 5.0TA is due at the end of next month. Just now saw Reace's post with the photos. I zoomed in to see as much detail as possible, and then I noticed the green tag on the kingpin in the first photo.....that's our trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Tag.JPG  
Old 11-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #119
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Customer satisfaction is always an elusive goal for custom made items, no matter how detailed the product specification are.

Early in my biz some nitpickers caused me to waste a LOT of time dealing with issues so minuscule I changed my business model to "no money up front" and "if you're not happy with it, don't pay for it when it arrives" or "call me and I'll replace it."

Made life much simpler. Only had 2 customers complain over the last 10 years. One of them I replace his part (including shipping) and the other faded into history.

There are some things on my 21 that could have been manufactured better, but I gave Escape an overall grade of "A-"

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 11-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #120

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Ian and Sue... The most despised words in the building trades. "Don't worry the trim will cover it". Alf

Then there's the short specification: "Hammer it in place, and paint to fit."
Or the long specification: "Cut to size; beat to fit; paint to match; in the field!"
Closed Thread