Frameless window won't shut - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2019, 10:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Frameless window won't shut

Our 2017 5.0TA bathroom window cranks tight but the glass is still standing open about 2 inches. Cannot see anything blocking it and when I push against the window pane I get resistance? Any suggestions?
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Is the frame closing but the glass has separated from the frame and is not moving? Or is the frame not closing either? I'm getting packed up for a trip tomorrow and just ran out and took these photos, showing the position of the metal arms at full open, partly open, and closed. Are your arms doing this? If not, they may be obstructed in some way.
Attached Thumbnails
Open.jpg   Midway.jpg   Shut.jpg  
Old 09-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #3

Now that we have a rest stop on closer inspection the glass pieces have separated. Guess I will need to call Escape think we are still under warranty for a couple more months.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Two words in your post alarms me, "cranked tight" and awning windows do not mix. They need to be closed, but not cranked tight. That maybe your problem, you do not keep tightening the window if it does not seem to close but investigate and determine the reason it is not closed.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Two words in your post alarms me, "cranked tight" and awning windows do not mix. They need to be closed, but not cranked tight. That maybe your problem, you do not keep tightening the window if it does not seem to close but investigate and determine the reason it is not closed.
Separation of the panes is not likely the result of over-tightening the window, unless some debris has lodged in the open frame to pry them apart when closing. More likely, it is a manufacturing fault.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
Separation of the panes is not likely the result of over-tightening the window, unless some debris has lodged in the open frame to pry them apart when closing. More likely, it is a manufacturing fault.
I disagree, it is the over tightening that causes the glass panes to separate.that is the reason why Escape only offers the small window in single pane, too many were being replaced due to over tightening.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Not my experience so we will have to agree to disagree (: ! My unit sat unused close to 10 months after I brought it back home from the factory (October 17) before I noticed three windows had started to separate. None of the replacements have failed. The replacements were manufactured by Lippert. The originals by Hehr.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 09:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I’ve never bought the assertion that delamination is due to over tightening. If that were the case, then why has this flaw appeared almost exclusively in one particular window size (and that particular size only from one brand new manufacturing facility, not the other, tried and true manufacturing line) and none of the other window sizes? Also, ETI has stated that the defective windows were caused by manufacturing defect.

The whole overtightening argument strongly smacks of attempts by the distribution chain to assign blame on the end user and absolve liability for the problem.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalaney View Post
Now that we have a rest stop on closer inspection the glass pieces have separated. Guess I will need to call Escape think we are still under warranty for a couple more months.
Hehr only puts a one year warranty on the windows, but maybe they will support a change out. I had the same thing happen to my bath window with no issues at all with my larger ones. I replaced it with the single pane window, a very easy thing to do which took 15 minutes tops.

If you are travelling at all with the split glazing, make sure you tape the pieces together in place, then tape the window closed. Use a good strong tape too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
I agree. We never over tightened our bath window that failed. It is definitely a manufacturing issue, which was way more prevalent than with the larger windows.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

Thanks for all the input everyone. We do not overtighten the windows, I was referring to this one instance trying to get the window to fully close before I realized the problem was the glass had seperated on the lower portion. Unfortunately after talking to ETI parts dept this window only had a one year warranty. To replace it would be $211 CAD plus $50 crate fee plus shipping! When we asked for part #'s to shop locally they said Hehr makes these especially for Escape because they are thinner for the fiberglass walls. Soooo looks like we are stuck buying from them if we want a replacement. A single pane slider is a bit cheaper. Because it separated about 2/3 around I purchased some silicone glue and glued and clamped the window. Seems to be holding tight now, only time will tell. If the fix doesn't hold up I will need to replace the whole window.
Attached Thumbnails
20190920_094813a.jpg  
phalaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
You might try calling Hehr directly and see if they can help you their # is

800-637-8938
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
If the silicone glue doesn't work, don't give up. I'd use JB Weld before I'd replace the window. I think the glass would break before the JB Weld would let go....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
For sure on the JB weld . What if you went to a glass place and see if they have something to hold better ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 05:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
For sure on the JB weld . What if you went to a glass place and see if they have something to hold better ? Pat

There is a glue auto glass shops use to fasten the rear view mirror to the windshield. I'd ask. Maybe they'll do the work for little.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:56 PM   #15

Both good ideas. I wish Escape did not stop with the small thermal windows, there are always options if they separate.
Old 09-20-2019, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There is a glue auto glass shops use to fasten the rear view mirror to the windshield. I'd ask. Maybe they'll do the work for little.
Yup good idea ! Pat
Old 09-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup good idea ! Pat

Suggest you show up with three or four 18-year-old girls in bikinis. That worked for my daughter and her friends when they went to an auto glass shop after the mirror came off in the Explorer.
"No charge, ladies".
Old 09-20-2019, 06:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Suggest you show up with three or four 18-year-old girls in bikinis. That worked for my daughter and her friends when they went to an auto glass shop after the mirror came off in the Explorer.
"No charge, ladies".
Your funny Glenn ! Pat
Old 09-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:

Nope the Permatex 2 part mirror button glue we used to use won’t work for this application. The other problem is even if you can re-seal the unit it will probably fog up.
When sealed units are made desiccant is used in the process once the unit comes apart it doesn’t take long for the desiccant to absorb all the moisture it can hold.
Best bet would be to take the unit to a good glass shop and they will be able to re-seal the unit for you using a product like Supperspacer and backing it with insulating glass silicone, hot melt butyl or polysulfide as a secondary seal.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:01 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I vaguely remember someone had posted info for an outfit that rebuilds windows professionally, using the correct glue and correctly dehumidifying between the panes. That seems like a great option. Anyone happen to remember details?