Behavior of turbocharged engines when towing - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2023, 11:32 AM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post
I'll state the the best aspect of a turbo motor for me is lots of torque at low RPMs.

I have had numerous F-150s throughout the years - (got a new one around every 18 months at work, as I was the guy that bought them all, so I got the new one and handed mine down!) from pulling a #5,500 27' Avion a number of years to now pulling an E19.

The 5.0 V8 F-150 SuperCrews, with a 3.55 rear end, as compared to the 3.5 V6 EcoBoost versions, felt as if someone had dropped anchor for the first 150' or so from a stop. The 3.5 EB twin turbo pulls like a diesel from a stop. No comparison..........I actually thought the trailer brakes were on, or something, the first time I towed with the 5.0 as compared to the 3.5 EB. Both got around the same MPG for me, towing, or not, similar to what others have said in this thread. Some other employees with the 2.7 EcoBoost V6 stated the same feeling as compared to the NA 5.0 V8.
A few years ago we camped with two couples that had bought the exact same stickie bumper pull trailers. They also both bought new F150s. One got the 5.0 because he only towed with a v-8 and the other looked at the torque curve and bought the 3.5EB. After about a year the guy with the 5.0 upgraded to a diesel 250 because the guy in the 3.5 kept pulling away from him while the 5.0 was screaming.

New v-8s are more like racing engines from the 70s, they have to be spun up to create any torque. If you don’t like the feel of high rpms while towing that can really get on the nerves.

After hanging out with those guys for a few trips I bought a 2.7 EB because it was on the lot and had the options and discounts to make it work. I have been very happy for 5 years of towing, highway driving, and just plain usefulness.

I want the added functionality of the hybrid in my next truck, but that’s a few years off. The 2.7 is just solid.

Also, I drive the speed limit at almost all times, towing or not. Maybe a bit faster during the day while not towing and always a bit slower at night due to deer.

I once tried to maximize my mileage on a 250 mile trip when I first bought the truck. Maxed out at 65 mph and kept it real smooth. I was getting close to 25 mpg, iirc. Then I pulled out of a rest stop in front of some big trucks and put my foot into it to be polite. On an uphill grade. For about a mile or two. The trip mileage dropped by about 2-3 mpg even though I had already driven 200+ miles. The power is great, but it does not come from magic.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote