Tow vehicle for Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-23-2014, 06:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Except the tow rating for the 6 cylinder Outbacks, at least the 05-09 models is 3000lbs. (Same model in Europe is rated more like 3600lbs) The 200lb hitch rating is for the factory option hitch. There are better hitches (that are cheaper too) with higher ratings for that model. Like the Reese I pointed to in an earlier post.

I asked AAA about my insurance and tow ratings and they said they had no exact policy and if I wasn't breaking the law I'd be covered as far as they could tell as long as I had insurance for both the trailer and TV with them. I don't think the tow ratings are a legal limit in the US, Canada may be different and perhaps state/provincial laws vary? More information on this is welcome.
Specifically the Subaru 200 lb tongue rating is irrespective of the hitch whether factory or aftermarket. Its the load rating for the tongue that Subaru specify (not recommend) as a maximum based on the engineering design for the vehicle. Even the 3 L 6 cyl has a 200 lb tongue rating even though the max tow is 3000lb, and mostly the tongue weight will exceed 12% of the trailer axle weight. If you add an aftermarket hitch rated for 500 lb tongue and 5000 lb towing capacity it does not mean that the Subaru maximum ratings go out of the window. If you exceed the maximum ratings specified by the TV manufacturer and have an accident you would be liable and see how fast our insurance company would deny your claim as well as anyone else's involved. Often the manufactures ratings are born from the capability of the TV to brake the combined weight of tow and trailer in the event of failure of the electric brakes on the trailer.
You should never exceed the maximum combined gross weight rating of the tow vehicle i.e. the TV weight plus the trailer weight. If you do and have an accident then you "may" find yourself on the wrong side of the law as the combination should not have been on the road.
2019 KC the Beagle
David H is offline   Reply With Quote