which 3 row mid sized SUV for 17B or 19 Escape? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 05:41 PM   #61
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
IIRC, the Lexus GX is based on the Land Cruiser Prado (while the even larger LX is based on the Land Cruiser). The Prado has a lot in common with the Tacoma/4Runner series, but of course, the Lexus incarnation has much more luxury stuff, bigger motor, even worse gas mileage, etc.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 05:42 PM   #62
Site Team

btw, the distinction between large and mid sized has as much to do with WIDTH as wheelbase.
Old 04-08-2021, 01:04 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
This is really important to read. I was just asking the dealer about the towing package (we are buying used) and it was confusing, they said that all we needed was the hitch and the wiring harness. They said that the transmission cooler is mostly found in 1 ton trucks and that the highlander doesn't need one unless I would be towing something beyond the towing capacity. I had read differently somewhere else, so was planning on checking on this again. It was not the mechanic, just the dealer!

The Atlas! I had test drove one of these and was giddy, it was nice to drive and elegant. For some reason I had taken it off the list, but now I might put it back on. We had a TDI wagon that was part of the diesel recall, that's when we got our Outback. I like the VW design a lot and how much interior space there is, panoramic moon roof. The Pilot - has no panoramic moonroof *not a big deal in the scheme of things, but this will be our car, and neither my husband nor I have had a car with even a regular sized one, and there are issues with the infotainment, the Highlander seems to have so many positive reviews! However it is so cramped in the third row. We are a family of four and we also go on many road trips (even across the country) so space is important. If you have any tips or links to info on the Atlas - that would be great. I am going to look into it again. We liked the Ascent (driving and interior) but have read many warnings about long term towing with CVT. We really want to get something that fulfills a lot of different needs. Family car, across the country road trip, reliable, fun to drive, can tow a trailer (if we can ever get an Escape!), large moonroof, ease of entertainment stuff, and that we feel excited about getting.

This is great to read. I looked at one used R-Pod 171, but the interior felt dark and cramped. Not too much joy. I have read so many posts about people liking the Highlander for towing (at least Escape/Fiberglass). I think we would just go with it - but my hesitation is two things (we are looking at 2016-2019) - the cramped third row, this really is the main thing, and from what I have read - the entertainment system like apple play (I don't even really know if this matters, we have the base version of a 2013 Outback right now).

I have read a lot about this issue, I wonder if it is certain years? We were thinking used 2016-2019-ish. I like the space overall in the Pilot, and know the kids would be quite excited about the built in TV. I have read that it has the 7 pin connector but that the Highlander would just need an adaptor. For some reason, the Telluride was something I wasn't really considering, but my husband has brought it up a few times.
We have a 2017 Honda Pilot AWD EXL 6-speed with Nav and haven't had any problems with the infotainment system, but the sound quality is garbage.

The 2016-18 have some bulletin issues that we ran into recently. Check engine light and codes thrown. Needed new injectors, fuel rail, and transmission fluid/reprogramming. Super annoying but Honda covered it so no harm except my time and it takes about 4.5 hours of labor so it was overnight at the dealer.

We had to have the brake rotors turned at about 60,000 miles (shuddering on long downhills). They claimed it was due to towing but I have my doubts about that conclusion.

I feel like it's a good tow vehicle for the 17B, but you will need to find one with the 5,000 lb towing capacity which means hitch, wiring harness, and transmission cooler (it's a small extra radiator). Then you need to get a brake controller harness and brake controller.

I know you said you are buying used, so a Kia Telluride is off the table but we test drove one and fell in love. That is the best 3-row SUV in my opinion. Dealers have been charging a premium for it, but we found a dealer in Reno that would sell us one at MSRP if we ordered it. We decided to stick with the Pilot since it's all set up but the Telluride is probably our next SUV.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:10 AM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I wish there was a three-row seating SUV, capable of towing, with only two rows of seats. That would increase my payload and make for a more efficient cargo area.
I bought a 2020 Highlander XLE. I doubt that third row will ever be used, but I still have to cart it around.
Old 04-08-2021, 02:21 AM   #65
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I wish there was a three-row seating SUV, capable of towing, with only two rows of seats. That would increase my payload and make for a more efficient cargo area.
I bought a 2020 Highlander XLE. I doubt that third row will ever be used, but I still have to cart it around.
I bought a 2002 F250 diesel 4x4 XLT to tow our e21... its total overkilll, but its comfortable and can easily tow any load we'd ever want with any payload we ever need.
Old 04-08-2021, 06:42 AM   #66

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Quote:
My main concern about the Highlander is the small third row. Or that is the thing I liked least. I might change my mind, but I am now thinking my top pic might be the Atlas, I am going to test drive it again. I like that it has the space, similar to the Pilot, but a new one is significantly less expensive.

I test drove the 3.6l V6 and loved it. I liked the power and response, the minimalist and elegant interior, the amount of space, and overall design, it was fun to be in and made me happy. The Pilot - I like the size as well, the amount of space and the kids would like the TV, although we don't really care. The Highlander - I like how many people have said how reliable it is, and how many postings I have read about people being happy using it to tow, also maybe easier to park because smaller. I don't like the mpg of the Atlas is less than both the Pilot and Highlander, so I had taken it off the running. The Ascent we also really liked because of spaciousness, how it drove, and overall interior feel, but I have read many things about how CVT is not good for towing.

I just got a quote on a new Atlas and it is the same price as a used (2017/2018) highlander with low miles. We want some features such as captain's chairs, panoramic moonroof, awd, towing hitch/wiring installed, etc. So those features make the trims specific (Pilot Touring or Elite, Highlander Premium).
Really leaning towards the Atlas, because I really liked it. But also practicality is very important to me, so don't want to let that feeling I had driving it take over.
New 2021 3.6 SE with tech was I think around 38k with some big msrp discount.
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:06 AM   #67

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have a bench rear seat on my Highlander because I was warned that the 'captain's chairs' do not fold flat ( for cargo ).
Old 04-08-2021, 11:07 AM   #68

Quote:
I have a bench rear seat on my Highlander because I was warned that the 'captain's chairs' do not fold flat ( for cargo ).
Good to know, thank you! I know on the Ascent - one thing I didn't like was when I folded down the captain's chairs, seemed to limit cargo space. The Atlas they fold totally flat.
Old 04-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #69

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Quote:
FYI, this does exist in the Toyota Land Cruiser/Lexus LX 570. The Lexus version has had "without third row" as an option for at least the last few years. The Toyota version's "Heritage Edition" also comes stock without the third row, but even in the standard trim the Toyota's third row can be fully removed with a 14 mm wrench in about 15-20 minutes. Many Cruiser owners remove the third row for increased storage space, drawer systems, etc.

Most 4Runners also lack a third row and have decent cargo volume and payload.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #70

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell 2 View Post
We are in a similar situation as we wait for our E19 due next January and will be buying a tow vehicle with similar expectations you have articulated. I've done a lot of research and would narrow your choices down to a Honda Pilot or Toyota Highlander (slightly preferred for us). The Ascent has had some reliability issues in previous years - example see article link below. And the Atlas also has reliability issues. Pilots and Highlanders regularly exceed 200,000 miles. Higher initial cost = greater reliability and longevity and both are comfortable daily drive vehicles. Lots of Escape owners tow a 17 or a 19. Be aware that different models of the same SUV have different towing capacity. We're looking for a 3-4 year old Highlander with reasonable miles. Hope you find what works for you.

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/why-...ou-should-know
New Subaru Ascent Family Hauler 3 Year Report Card - Are The Problems Fixed?

The 2019 Subaru Ascent had more problems than any other model in the automaker's lineup, but there have been no significant issues with the 2020 Subaru Ascent models. In year three, quality improves in the 2021 Ascent all-wheel-drive 3-Row SUV.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #71

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19, 2010 Palomino Y series prior
I just read 4 pages so am a bit mixed up, but didnt OP state they are a family of four? or was that somebody else?
Puzzled as to why a third row mid size is needed with four people.
Generally in mid size vehicles the third row cannibalizes the rear storage area.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #72

Quote:
I'll remind you that my buddy waited six months to get his Santa Fe back as the dealer searched North America and then the world for parts. I think, in the end they replaced the engine with a rebuild. While he waited, the dealer installed a hitch and brake controller in a service vehicle so he could go camping.

I would check Consumer Reports or other rating services.

BTW, he replaced it with a Highlander. On the other hand, he did buy a Kia Soul for his wife ( the ones that catch fire ).
Id personally avoid any Hyundai with a Theta 2 engine, (but thats hard to do). Otherwise, there are plenty of Hyundai/Kia vehicles id drive over the majority of any modern vehicle offerings outside of very specific models and trims. Unless I wasn't paying with my own money.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #73

Hi. Yes family of four, but we have had a grandparent visit for months at a time. So wanting versatility and also more cargo space for long cross country road trips and gear for flexibility/various visiting family situations and things we will need. Thinking also about the future and wanting to be able to have a friend or two in the car.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #74

Would you consider something a bit larger? A bit more options then with third row.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:21 PM   #75
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
Hi. Yes family of four, but we have had a grandparent visit for months at a time. So wanting versatility and also more cargo space for long cross country road trips and gear for flexibility/various visiting family situations and things we will need. Thinking also about the future and wanting to be able to have a friend or two in the car.
I suggest a minivan rather than an SUV. better payload, more passenger room, and everything.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #76

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Metris Minivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I suggest a minivan rather than an SUV. better payload, more passenger room, and everything.
Agree with John in Santa Cruz.

We've met several smaller trailer owners (GVWR ≤ 5000 lbs) who tow using a Mercedes Benz Metris passenger van. Most had the 7-seat passenger version, and one had an office in what started as a bare Metris cargo van. Metris has a 5000 lb. towing rating, 3,196 lbs. rear GAWR, and GCWR 11,614 lbs.

With a minivan like the Metris, you seat 7-passengers comfortably, have an everyday vehicle, and be your road-warrior Escape tow vehicle.

We looked at the Metris, but opted for the Sprinter to carry our 5 grandkids, their 4 parents, and us. Without the 11 passenger need, we would likely have opted for the Metris.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 01:49 PM   #77
Site Team

for people carrying, the Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, Chrysler Pacifica would do well, but they all seem to only have a 3500 or 3600 lb tow limit, so not so great for an Escape other than the smallest ones. past that you get into things like the Ford Transit 150 van, with around 5000 lbs tow if properly equipped. not sure I'd want to use one of those as a daily driver, however.

Most of the Mercedes sprinters and metris are diesels, and I'm not sure I'd want a modern diesel, they are very complex with all the pollution control equipment they require and get really expensive to repair.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:01 PM   #78

I have read so many helpful posts, thank you all! I am so ready to decide. We are now including again the Ascent. We don't want a minivan, although I see that point and think it could absolutely be an option. I think driving cars I am familiar with is appealing to me, since I know how they drive and maybe somewhat what to expect, in terms of make. So our final three is between Pilot, Ascent, and Atlas. Just depends on the deal we can find in the area that also has the features we want. Looking at certified used, so that limits things to what happens to be available. I am so grateful for this site and hope we can be driving (whatever it is) happily soon.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:09 PM   #79
Site Team

did anyone mention that the newer Subarus, including the Ascent, *ALL* use CVT (Continuously Variable Transmissions), and that these really aren't suitable for more than light very occasional towing?
Old 04-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #80

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
Most of the Mercedes sprinters and metris are diesels, and I'm not sure I'd want a modern diesel, they are very complex with all the pollution control equipment they require and get really expensive to repair.
Current Mercedes Benz Metris passenger van is gasoline.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3-row, ascent, highlander, subaru, suv