Canadian dollar vs USD - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Paper Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #61

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
No Sumas or other delivery point in the United States is considered the point of sale. Otherwise, you would have to pay the Canadian Taxes on the trailer. Those Canadian Taxes are no longer rebated to US residents by Canada. That is the whole reason why a US buyer can not pick up their trailer at the Escape Factory.

Edit: by the way, if you Google it, there is a lot of stale information on the Internet about US residents being eligible for sales tax rebates. That is now extremely limited such as conventions.
This is from British Columbia 2022 Bulletin 318 re Provincial Sales Tax on vehicles purchased in BC:

Vehicles Purchased for Use Outside B.C.
If you purchase a vehicle in B.C. for use outside B.C., you are exempt from PST if all the following criteria are met:
 The vehicle is a type that is eligible for registration (i.e. it is not a vehicle that cannot be registered)
 The vehicle is purchased for use primarily outside B.C.
 The vehicle will not be used in B.C. for a business purpose
 The vehicle will not be registered in B.C.
 If you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are not a resident of B.C.
You are also exempt from PST on the purchase of a vehicle if the vehicle is shipped by the seller for delivery to an address outside of B.C. To be eligible for the exemption, no use must be made of the vehicle by the purchaser while the vehicle is in B.C.

It appears that pick up in Sumas is related to who has to import the trailer to the US, not whether taxes are to be paid.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:17 PM   #62

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
AZ Jack's rig was $96,000. You call that "a really great price," but I call it "astronomical" in relation to my resources.
I can tell you I have much more than that into my setup, that’s before the recent pricing updates. I happen to be one of many who are well aware of budget constraints.

Could this whole problem be that in a “astronomical” sense you are reaching for the stars but all along you just needed to be looking for a moon landing…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:21 PM   #63

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Seems to be no empathy there for MikeG. I applaud his awareness that he cannot afford a new trailer from Escape given the current pricing. Too many people live beyond their means and then want to blame someone else for their situation.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #64

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
96k would not be doable for me either. We have 70k in our new ‘21 TV and ‘21 E19.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:08 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Seems to be no empathy there for MikeG. I applaud his awareness that he cannot afford a new trailer from Escape given the current pricing. Too many people live beyond their means and then want to blame someone else for their situation.
I agree he’s better off not to spend more than he can afford.
Where he goes off track is wanting, I’m not exactly sure of what he and the Escape haters are wanting to happen. Would some useless-I feel your pain-change anything, it’s a nice thing to say but after that, absolutely nothing changes. We all have to deal with limitations.

I could so use a Lear Jet, I’m so tired of airports and all that goes with them.
Just a small Lear and I would be set, such happiness it would bring me. Not having enough to afford a Lear Jet I was forced to buy a RV. It’s just not fair.

On top of it all, Lear is a Canadian company, no help from them whatsoever.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #66

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
On top of it all, Lear is a Canadian company, no help from them whatsoever.

Yeah, but can you buy a Lear in converted US to Canadian dollars, or do you gotta pay strictly in the currency of the country you are taking deliver in?

Heh, remembered this one. We used to cross over at 19 years old to drink in Windsor (it's 21 in the US) and we'd convert enough money to drink "enough" except we'd always start drinking and run out of money before we ran out of thirst. So of course, the bars would take US $ at par with Canadian......when the exchange rate was like $0.80US to the Canadian 1$. Sounded fair enough when you've been drinking.

Always told the border agents our business was "Five pin bowling" on the way across too. Yeah, right.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #67

Quote:
Where he goes off track is wanting, I’m not exactly sure of what he and the Escape haters are wanting to happen.
It's like many foreign countries: we don't hate the people; we just don't like their leaders. Does that work for ya?
Old 11-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Yeah, but can you buy a Lear in converted US to Canadian dollars, or do you gotta pay strictly in the currency of the country you are taking deliver in?

Heh, remembered this one. We used to cross over at 19 years old to drink in Windsor (it's 21 in the US) and we'd convert enough money to drink "enough" except we'd always start drinking and run out of money before we ran out of thirst. So of course, the bars would take US $ at par with Canadian......when the exchange rate was like $0.80US to the Canadian 1$. Sounded fair enough when you've been drinking.

Always told the border agents our business was "Five pin bowling" on the way across too. Yeah, right.
Here in STL deals between states of Illinois and Missouri have been going on for long before my time. The crossover from cigarettes, tagging your car in Illinois, on and on to avoid high taxation is still happening.
When Illinois still had the legal drinking age at 19, look out on Friday. Many teen tragedies.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
It's like many foreign countries: we don't hate the people; we just don't like their leaders. Does that work for ya?
Are you referring to the people who sold the company to the greedy corporation, it was theirs to do as they wanted.
Old 11-07-2022, 07:56 PM   #70

Quote:
Are you referring to the people who sold the company to the greedy corporation, it was theirs to do as they wanted.
Huh? That sounds very nonsensical. That's like saying I sold my house to the highest bidder and now for some reason the crack house it became is my bad?

What I'm talking about it a littany of business practices that have made more than a few Escape owners who bought from ETI 1.0 a bit- shall we say- discouraged?

Here is one example of Karl's defense of ETI keeping a $2,000 deposit after the Purchase Agreement is signed(not placed into Production). This is an email response to me when I raised Heck for an older couple who changed their minds shortly after signing:

"When a customer places a deposit it is refundable less the credit card fees up until the time that the customer signs off on the purchase agreement i.e., the contract, the contract is clear about the agreed expectations on both sides. Adults who have the capacity and authority to sign off on the agreement also bear the accountability."

I called Canadian authorities and they said that was legal. Legal, yet still what U.S. courts would call a "Forfeiture" - and not enforceable. However, as most of us know now they changed the policy and now in that same circumstance one will only be liable for $500. And it seems they still call that $500 a "Credit Card Fee"- as though that is what they lose somehow, when in fact they lose zip, zero, zilch, nada.

If no one complains then no change happens.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:09 PM   #71

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
I agree he’s better off not to spend more than he can afford.
Where he goes off track is wanting, I’m not exactly sure of what he and the Escape haters are wanting to happen...
At this point I'm beyond wanting anything from ETI (and I'm not an Escape hater, for sure, since I still would like to have one). I was relating the reasons why I cancelled my order. Maybe I'll locate a pre-loved one that I can afford. I really could use one soon, too, because my work is having me travel farther from home and a little 'motel on wheels' would be nice. I've been making do somewhat by sleeping in the Hauley, but a 1500W cube heater can't keep up on a 25 degree night; that Hauley bleeds heat like a nylon tent.

I made up my mind an Escape was going to be the trailer I'd want when I was heading into retirement, and I'm still holding out for my first preference. Not a Casita, not a Scamp, not a Snoozy. The Lance 1475 looks really nice though. Still, I'm holding out.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:29 PM   #72

Quote:
At this point I'm beyond wanting anything from ETI (and I'm not an Escape hater, for sure, since I still would like to have one). I was relating the reasons why I cancelled my order. Maybe I'll locate a pre-loved one that I can afford. I really could use one soon, too, because my work is having me travel farther from home and a little 'motel on wheels' would be nice. I've been making do somewhat by sleeping in the Hauley, but a 1500W cube heater can't keep up on a 25 degree night; that Hauley bleeds heat like a nylon tent.
Push yourself, this isn’t an impossible task.

If I had the time I would’ve rather bought a way old fifth wheel and remolded the inside. Keeping the outside original so it would not be such a temptation to the thieving zombies out there.

Keeping your feet on the ground, remove negativity and see where this takes you.

It’s a RV, try and enjoy all of the journey.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:44 PM   #73

Quote:
Push yourself, this isn’t an impossible task.

If I had the time I would’ve rather bought a way old fifth wheel and remolded the inside. Keeping the outside original so it would not be such a temptation to the thieving zombies out there.

Keeping your feet on the ground, remove negativity and see where this takes you.

It’s a RV, try and enjoy all of the journey.
Yeah Mike- just pull yourself up by your bootstraps! And- if you can find a Time Tunnel and go back 30 years buy some rental properties so you can fund your desired lifestyle.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #74

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
This is from British Columbia 2022 Bulletin 318 re Provincial Sales Tax on vehicles purchased in BC:

Vehicles Purchased for Use Outside B.C.
If you purchase a vehicle in B.C. for use outside B.C., you are exempt from PST if all the following criteria are met:
 The vehicle is a type that is eligible for registration (i.e. it is not a vehicle that cannot be registered)
 The vehicle is purchased for use primarily outside B.C.
 The vehicle will not be used in B.C. for a business purpose
 The vehicle will not be registered in B.C.
 If you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are not a resident of B.C.
You are also exempt from PST on the purchase of a vehicle if the vehicle is shipped by the seller for delivery to an address outside of B.C. To be eligible for the exemption, no use must be made of the vehicle by the purchaser while the vehicle is in B.C.

It appears that pick up in Sumas is related to who has to import the trailer to the US, not whether taxes are to be paid.
Please read what you posted:

If you are purchasing the vehicle as an individual, you are not a resident of B.C.

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:30 PM   #75

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Where’s our $2 bill? I get all of them I can. I do enjoy mixing in Canadian coins with US coins when I pay for something. It validates my theory that most clerks don’t really look at the coins. One young lady said to to me “oh look there’s a big deer on this quarter.” Canadian quarter
I said “it’s part of the new wildlife series of quarters.”
She was good with that.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-08-2022, 07:06 PM   #76

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I don't look at the TV and the trailer as a necessary Package. I live alone and need a vehicle....I just happen to like pickup trucks and bought a suitable tv, an F150. I didn't "need" a 5.0 TA.... I just wanted one.. If your family has multiple vehicles and one isn't a suitable TV , then that changes the equation.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:16 PM   #77

Trailer: Escape
TT: I don’t understand your objection.

As I read it an individual who is not a resident of BC is exempt from provincial sales tax (along with 4 other criteria). That would seem to apply to US buyers looking to bring the trailer to their home state.

The final paragraph has to do with the seller shipping the trailer.

The issue really doesn’t matter because ETI requires pick up in Sumas, and that’s that. I just don’t think that ETI’s reason has to do with the buyer’s tax liability.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:35 PM   #78

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Where’s our $2 bill? I get all of them I can. I do enjoy mixing in Canadian coins with US coins when I pay for something. It validates my theory that most clerks don’t really look at the coins. One young lady said to to me “oh look there’s a big deer on this quarter.” Canadian quarter
I said “it’s part of the new wildlife series of quarters.”
She was good with that.
Iowa Dave
May I suggest that this is not as humorous as you may think, and that it comes across as somewhat dishonest? CA coins are not legal tender in the US, and since a CA quarter is worth less than 19 US cents, passing off CA money as payment in the US is not very nice.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
TT: I don’t understand your objection.
Gotta remember that some folks just don't want to be confused with the facts.

Curious, I called O'Connor RV down the road from ETI in Chilliwack and asked if they ever got used Escapes. They got one about five years ago, however not really. No surprise there, however when I asked if as a U.S. buyer I could buy one of their new units with Canadian funds then apply for a refund of all Canadian taxes I was told yes. Representative also volunteered that was how Northern Lite did their transactions. He was aware the same PE Co. owned both ETI & NL, and indicated the difference was that NL had dealers in the U.S.
Old 11-09-2022, 08:31 AM   #80

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Oh, certainly I have thought and thought about it. And it might come to that. But honestly, I'd have to hire almost everything done. I would be terribly afraid of screwing up if I tried to cut window holes. And I have no good idea of how to shape upper cabinets to match the curved shell and anchor them properly. The thought of trying to plan out where every component must go, how the electric and LP lines will be routed, what must be done before something else, etc, etc, is overwhelming to me because I've never done anything like it in my lifetime. But yes, I could hire it done and it would be less money than a new 17B... but maybe comparable to an older used 17B selling price.
I'm sure you are right it also sound like the lil haulie isn't insulated and doing that would be difficult.

I didn't know what your skills were, I was thinking maybe have the windows and cabinet work done by someone else. If you could do everything else.

I like the Snoozy I think it a good trailer for one person. I don't like that they are all electric, no gas system.

I also would prefer the 17b over the snoozie.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote