Couple battery questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I've posted this on another thread, but figured I'd share again. I know some users get into the very complex and expensive battery monitors, but if you are looking for a simple, yet powerful device in a small package you might consider the Doc Wattson battery monitor. It gives you amps, watts, voltage, amp-hours (Ah), kilowatt-hours (Kwh), peak amps and minimum voltage in a nice little package (only 2.8" L x 1.7" W x 0.83" D). It has a scrolling display. It is not backlit it's the camera flash reflection. I wired this up to measure draw from the battery but it can also be wired inline with a generation device (i.e. solar panel) to measure what is going into a battery.
www.rc-electronics-usa.com/ammeters/rv-battery-monitor.html

Picture is from install in a Scamp, but I also added one in the Escape under the driver's side dinette seat using the simple 3 wire hookup. You wire it inline on the ground line that goes directly to the battery and you bring +12V to the source side red connection to power the monitor. You need a switch to cycle power to reset amp hours, but if you wire it downstream of the Escape supplied battery disconnect switch that works too. Shunt is integral so install is very simple.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg docwattson.jpg (218.0 KB, 21 views)
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote